Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin v. London: the injustice.

Options
  • 13-07-2010 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭compsys

Isn't it painful sometimes to see the often huge difference in weather between the south east of England (particularly London) and Dublin during the summer months? While we've had an OK start to the summer (until this week), London has been basking in a non-stop heatwave and almost drought conditions since early June. Throughout the whole of Wimbledon it never rained once during play and last weekend, while Dublin got a three-day downpour, they got a three-day heatwave!

I know the south east of England is under the influence of a more continental climate but the difference between the weather there and here is unreal sometimes for such a short distance and SOOO unfair :-(. I've lost count of the number of weather systems that have tracked right over Ireland and Scotland over the past few weeks and missed the south east corner of England entirely. Even looking ahead to next Saturday and Sunday it looks like more deep depressions are gonna move right over Ireland and miss the greater London area completely. London is forecast to reach up to 26c on the BBC this weekend while Dublin will do well to make 18.

*Massive Sigh*

P.S. I hope all the fools who were wishing for rain earlier in the month are happy now!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

compsys wrote: »
    Isn't it painful sometimes to see the often huge difference in weather between the south east of England (particularly London) and Dublin during the summer months? While we've had an OK start to the summer (until this week), London has been basking in a non-stop heatwave and almost drought conditions since early June. Throughout the whole of Wimbledon it never rained once during play and last weekend, while Dublin got a three-day downpour, they got a three-day heatwave!

I know the south east of England is under the influence of a more continental climate but the difference between the weather there and here is unreal sometimes for such a short distance and SOOO unfair :-(. I've lost count of the number of weather systems that have tracked right over Ireland and Scotland over the past few weeks and missed the south east corner of England entirely. Even looking ahead to next Saturday and Sunday it looks like more deep depressions are gonna move right over Ireland and miss the greater London area completely. London is forecast to reach up to 26c on the BBC this weekend while Dublin will do well to make 18.

*Massive Sigh*

P.S. I hope all the fools who were wishing for rain earlier in the month are happy now!
    if the atlantic keeps its hold it will be only a matter of time before its too much rain however with all the dry weather we had i suppose the ground can take more this summer than last few

im sure owen c will like this thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Over the last 3 bad summers we had, London didn't fare much better. I can recall over 2008 they never reported temperature over 30c.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭compsys

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Over the last 3 bad summers we had, London didn't fare much better. I can recall over 2008 they never reported temperature over 30c.

Yeah but I'm sure they recorded 27, 28 and 29C on a few days tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

delw wrote: »
    im sure owen c will like this thread :D

I thought it was him under a new username!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

They can keep there 31 degree and there uncomfortable nights sleep , I am not jealous of them at all. I can see why it would bother some people though, its quite a contrast, but i could draw the same comparison between glasgow and donegal, we are not that far away from glasgow yet its a lot of colder in scotland at winter :/
    Just one way of looking at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

While London has been basking (normal) we have had an extremely dry year up to July in the Northwest of Ireland (not normal)

Thus.... our weather beats London! Hah!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I like sunny weather and temps in the low 20's but 30c during the day and 20c at night would drive me round the bend. It's too uncomfortable imo. I stayed in a Holiday inn in London one summer when it was 20c at night. They'd no AC,only a fan which served to blow warm air around the room. Horrible night tossing and turning and getting no sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

pauldry wrote: »
    While London has been basking (normal) we have had an extremely dry year up to July in the Northwest of Ireland (not normal)

Yes, but this is a 'Dublin Vs London' thread. Dublin, if you did not know, is the only place that gets weather in Ireland. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Yes, extremely happy thanks. If I may ask, why do you call those who wished for the rain 'fools'? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

But they get feck all snow there usually.
    I wish i was back in Wicklow!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

I was saying in another thread, i was back in London over the weekend and it was around 31 on Saturday. I do miss the more humid conditions. Summer of '06 (edit - think it was 06) was a killer. Mid/low 30's for what seemed like days, and nights with lows in low 20's. Defo the warmest nights i've known there. I used to live in Vancouver and they would have similar summers just more prolonged spells of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

I was in Putney last week and it was absolutely gorgeous! It reached 31C, felt really Mediterranean. Came back to Dublin and was like a Winters day! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 rd_milltown

I know the south east of England is under the influence of a more continental climate but the difference between the weather there and here is unreal sometimes for such a short distance and SOOO unfair :-(. I've lost count of the number of weather systems that have tracked right over Ireland and Scotland over the past few weeks and missed the south east corner of England entirely. !

I moved to Dublin from London in April. Am noticing the difference already, but was out of the country in June when the weather was good. That extra few hundred miles closer to the jetstream doesn't half affect the weather.

One thing I've noticed here in Dublin is how when the temperatures do reach the low twenties is how it's typically more humid that London will be. I thought the weather two Sundays ago when it was 21-22c and blowing a gale and gusting to 45 knots and gloriously sunny was one of the oddest days I've experienced - in London or Dublin !

Cheers
    Richard

irishdub14 wrote: »
    I was in Putney last week and it was absolutely gorgeous! It reached 31C, felt really Mediterranean. Came back to Dublin and was like a Winters day! :(

Haa i grew up in Putney, Oakhill Road!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Pangea wrote: »
    They can keep there 31 degree and there uncomfortable nights sleep , I am not jealous of them at all. I can see why it would bother some people though, its quite a contrast, but i could draw the same comparison between glasgow and donegal, we are not that far away from glasgow yet its a lot of colder in scotland at winter :/
    Just one way of looking at it.

EH? glasgow is only 95 miles away from me and i get the same weather the whole time they are only about 2c difference at the most.

pauldry wrote: »

Well i've had an extremely wet year! I hate the way people are saying this is drought conditions, this is not drought!

lord lucan wrote: »
    I like sunny weather and temps in the low 20's but 30c during the day and 20c at night would drive me round the bend. It's too uncomfortable imo. I stayed in a Holiday inn in London one summer when it was 20c at night. They'd no AC,only a fan which served to blow warm air around the room. Horrible night tossing and turning and getting no sleep.

I was in florida and it was 28c at night, it felt fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Speak Now

owenc wrote: »
    Well i've had an extremely wet year! I hate the way people are saying this is drought conditions, this is not drought!

Didn't you say you went months without rain :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I was in florida and it was 28c at night, it felt fine.

Air conditioning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

Yeah, Florida is massively air conditioned. Without air conditioning 28 degrees night time temps ( which is the lowest nighttime temp - that is how these things are measured) will be 35+ inside.

London is a breezless, sticky, hot and miserable city in the Summer. 30 C is really at a nice spot near the airport, thermometers are designed to be unaffected by the urban island. So it is probably 35 in the city centre, in a city which smells of diesel and odourfull white van drivers.

Its sh*t.

Tube is remarkably cool though.

I dont live in London but I visit a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Haa i grew up in Putney, Oakhill Road!

Lucky you! I was staying on Rusholme Road! Thinking of moving there sometime in the future, has to be one of the best areas of London, love the High Street!

EH? glasgow is only 95 miles away from me and i get the same weather the whole time they are only about 2c difference at the most.
    Scotland as a whole is colder than us in the winter and gets a lot more snow than us , more blizzards etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 rd_milltown

Pittens wrote: »
    Tube is remarkably cool though.

I dont live in London but I visit a lot.

I can categorically say that the tube isn't cool !! Or did you not mean temperature "cool". The tube is a hell-hole in summer - especially the deep lines where air conditioning can't be used (e.g. the Northern Line, Central Line before it goes overground). Horrific !

irishdub14 wrote: »
    Lucky you! I was staying on Rusholme Road! Thinking of moving there sometime in the future, has to be one of the best areas of London, love the High Street!

5 mins down West Hill and you're almost at Oakhill from Rusholme. Yea High St is good. Miss Putney a lot.

Gotta say who ever said the Tube is cool is either from the Sun or slightly deranged! They measured 51c on there once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

The tube is a hell-hole in summer - especially the deep lines where air conditioning can't be used (e.g. the Northern Line, Central Line before it goes overground). Horrific !

Well it could be worse given the number of people and the fact that we are indoors and underground. I suppose I have never been on the very deep lines without air con. When the trains go by there is a nice refreshing breeze. Anyway I think we both agree - city heat aint all that.

dublin is, by the way, a good deal breezier than London. The air barely moves in London.

Scotland as a whole is colder than us in the winter and gets a lot more snow than us , more blizzards etc.

I'm talking about the areas near me, most mountains in scotland won't get any colder than the glens of antrim or the mountains behind me.

I can categorically say that the tube isn't cool !! Or did you not mean temperature "cool". The tube is a hell-hole in summer - especially the deep lines where air conditioning can't be used (e.g. the Northern Line, Central Line before it goes overground). Horrific !

I think your over exaggerating that, it isn't like 100c down there! Plus when the trains go by a nice warm breeze comes by!

I'm talking about the areas near me, most mountains in scotland won't get any colder than the glens of antrim or the mountains behind me.
    Owen im talking about the difference in weather between two different locations, scotland is a lot more snowier than donegal or the rest of the north of ireland , Im pretty sure mountains in scotland do get a lot colder than northern irelands ,its a lot further north. Lets agree to disagree.

Fully agree, it was disgusting heat down there when i was over one summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I certainly don't envy Londoners. For me being stuck in a city of 10 millions humans with temperatures of above 30 would drive me up the wall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I think your over exaggerating that, it isn't like 100c down there! Plus when the trains go by a nice warm breeze comes by!

no, but someone already said here that 51 degrees has been measured down there!!!

Advertisement