Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin v. London: the injustice.

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

no, but someone already said here that 51 degrees has been measured down there!!!

Thats not too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

owenc wrote: »
    Thats not too bad.

People start suffocating between 40 and 50 degrees, thats pretty bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 rd_milltown

owenc wrote: »
    I think your over exaggerating that, it isn't like 100c down there! Plus when the trains go by a nice warm breeze comes by!

No - but it's been measured at 40+c in mid-summer. And when one of those gets stuck in a tunnel.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

I certainly don't envy Londoners. For me being stuck in a city of 10 millions humans with temperatures of above 30 would drive me up the wall.

You obviously haven't been to a nice area of London! ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭compsys

People keep talking about London being over 30c and being unbearably hot. In fairness, it often doesn't get above 30c in the city. I'm talking more about the more average conditions when London is like 25 or 26c and reasonably sunny, escaping the rain, while Dublin struggles to get to 18 or 19c and is on the receiving end of every weather front that approaches from the Atlantic. A bit of heat and sun does wonders for the soul sometimes. You just feel so miserable in Dublin on dark, overcast, rainy days.

• Advertisement

compsys wrote: »
    People keep talking about London being over 30c and being unbearably hot. In fairness, it often doesn't get above 30c in the city. I'm talking more about the more average conditions when London is like 25 or 26c and reasonably sunny, escaping the rain, while Dublin struggles to get to 18 or 19c and is on the receiving end of every weather front that approaches from the Atlantic. A bit of heat and sun does wonders for the soul sometimes. You just feel so miserable in Dublin on dark, overcast, rainy days.

Dublin avoids a lot of the fronts, have pity on the west coast getting every single front that arrives in full force!!!

Dublin avoids a lot of the fronts, have pity on the west coast getting every single front that arrives in full force!!!

True.

• Pittens wrote: »
    Yeah, Florida is massively air conditioned. Without air conditioning 28 degrees night time temps ( which is the lowest nighttime temp - that is how these things are measured) will be 35+ inside.

London is a breezless, sticky, hot and miserable city in the Summer. 30 C is really at a nice spot near the airport, thermometers are designed to be unaffected by the urban island. So it is probably 35 in the city centre, in a city which smells of diesel and odourfull white van drivers.

Its sh*t.

Tube is remarkably cool though.

I dont live in London but I visit a lot.

Breezeless, sticky, hot and miserable? I live in Central London and obviously it's polluted and a bit humid, but I still find it WAY nicer than when it's cold. In the suburbs or anywhere outside the main busy streets, it's gorgeous on a hot day. I walked around for 2 hours last week when it was 30C and didn't even feel uncomfortable. There are parks all over the place to sit down and have lunch, I have Regents Park and about ten different little parks/squares here on my doorstep and Hampstead Heath is a short bus ride away. I had a beer in a beer garden or dinner outside almost every night for the last 3 or 4 weeks. What I would consider sh*t is a place where the weather is constantly grey and miserable and you can't ever walk around in a T-shirt during the 'summer'. We're actually having a crap day today in London as well, overcast and rainy, and I wondered how I ever coped when this was every day, like in Dublin. I find it absolutely soul destroying.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

Are we talking about London... or Madrid/Athens?

Is London really this hellishly hot? I've only visited once so I can't say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

schween wrote: »
    Are we talking about London... or Madrid/Athens?

Is London really this hellishly hot? I've only visited once so I can't say.

Its really not they just go over board bragging, you should hear them on netweather apparently a boy has acclimitised to it after 3 days, in the winter he acclimitised in 2 days...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

well, yes 26 or 27c is more the norm... but it's still too warm for me in a big city. I'm not really a lover of hot weather anyway.

The Irish summer doesn't really bother me, because I enjoy walking in robust weather. From my perspective it's just a matter of having the right clothing to deal with the elements!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

well, yes 26 or 27c is more the norm... but it's still too warm for me in a big city. I'm not really a lover of hot weather anyway.

The Irish summer doesn't really bother me, because I enjoy walking in robust weather. From my perspective it's just a matter of having the right clothing to deal with the elements!

Indeed. You were captured on cam recently enjoying a walk on one of our finer summer days last week:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Who cares, most people don't live in Dublin or London and that's the justice....

Min wrote: »
    Who cares, most people don't live in Dublin or London and that's the justice....

Dublin: 1 million, and London: 8 Million, thats an awful lot of people . . !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

London like Dublin is built in their location for the weather - or more specifically the effects of weather on agriculture on their hinterland.

Some interesting head to heads...

WEATHER - DUBLIN APT - LONDON GREENWICH
    Rainfall 688mm V 584mm *Mount Merrion used for Dublin as it's more representative of the city.
    Sunshine 1433hrs V 1461hrs
    Avg High 12.8c V 14.8c
    Avg Min 6.4c V 7.2c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Would I be right in thinking that the parts of dublin that are nearer the dublin mountains are wetter than in the city centre? I used to notice it as Id cycle from UCD to sandyford.
    It could be just cloudy in UCD then turn to rain/drizzle when I got over mount merrion or got to Sanyford. Might have just been my imagination!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Would I be right in thinking that the parts of dublin that are nearer the dublin mountains are wetter than in the city centre? I used to notice it as Id cycle from UCD to sandyford.
    It could be just cloudy in UCD then turn to rain/drizzle when I got over mount merrion or got to Sanyford. Might have just been my imagination!

Lots of times ive left my aunties in Rathfarnham and its very overcast. As soon as you get passed Bray head the sun is out.

I dont think its fair to compare Dublin and London. London is further south and to the east not to mention nearer the continent. Its always going to be slight warmer and sunnier.

• ciaran67 wrote: »
    Lots of times ive left my aunties in Rathfarnham and its very overcast. As soon as you get passed Bray head the sun is out.

I dont think its fair to compare Dublin and London. London is further south and to the east not to mention nearer the continent. Its always going to be slight warmer and sunnier.

Well, obviously! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

Isn't it painful sometimes to see the often huge difference in weather between the south east of England (particularly London) and Dublin during the summer months? While we've had an OK start to the summer (until this week), London has been basking in a non-stop heatwave and almost drought conditions since early June. Throughout the whole of Wimbledon it never rained once during play and last weekend, while Dublin got a three-day downpour, they got a three-day heatwave!

I know the south east of England is under the influence of a more continental climate but the difference between the weather there and here is unreal sometimes for such a short distance and SOOO unfair :-(. I've lost count of the number of weather systems that have tracked right over Ireland and Scotland over the past few weeks and missed the south east corner of England entirely. Even looking ahead to next Saturday and Sunday it looks like more deep depressions are gonna move right over Ireland and miss the greater London area completely. London is forecast to reach up to 26c on the BBC this weekend while Dublin will do well to make 18.

*Massive Sigh*

P.S. I hope all the fools who were wishing for rain earlier in the month are happy now!

I feel sorry for you in Ireland. We have had glorious summer weather in London while Ireland is in danger of being washed off the face of the earth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Thomas828 wrote: »
    I feel sorry for you in Ireland. We have had glorious summer weather in London while Ireland is in danger of being washed off the face of the earth.

Don't, its not actually that bad, well in Dublin anyway. We've had more sun than rain in the past 3 days.

Thomas828 wrote: »

Yea but you live in Walthamstow :)

Forecast for London looking pretty good for today, tomorrow and Tuesday.
    Meanwhile it's rain rain and more rain for Dublin and a max. temperature of around 20c. Even Reykjavik's getting better weather and warmer temps than us!

*massive sigh*

Forecast for London looking pretty good for today, tomorrow and Tuesday.
    Meanwhile it's rain rain and more rain for Dublin and a max. temperature of around 20c. Even Reykjavik's getting better weather and warmer temps than us!

*massive sigh*

What do you mean... its gorgeous today!

for ducks.

Advertisement