Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick people and soccer!?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Arsenal till i die, ashamed to say i rarely if ever follow the LOI.

If you go to two or three games i bet you'll be hooked. Live football can't be beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Cork City Friends Of the Rebel Army Society Co-Operative

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Jofspring wrote: »
    If you go to two or three games i bet you'll be hooked. Live football can't be beaten.

Limerick FC for me, no matter how good or bad your home town team is , their your team.
    Live football is like a drug, serious highs and lows but its all good fun! :) funny thing is im glad when the season is over to get a break from it but a few weeks later i find myself at junior games on Sunday mornings to get my fix (not quite 'under the bridge' but close enough)

Have to say though I do enjoy a good barstool session at the weekend (La Liga is fantastic to watch at times) but my home team will always come first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Live football can't be beaten.

Dont know about LOI but went to the Irish friendlies in Thomond Park last year out of curiosity and free tickets...

A 90 minute snooze would be more exciting imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Story_Bud

Why Support A English Team You May Only See Twice A Year Who Really Dont Care For The Fans Yet Limerick FC Crying Out For More Supporters I Telling You This I Have Never Experienced Any Thing That Came Close To When Colin Scanlon Scored Against Shels In Tolka To Stop Them Winning The League ! What A Fantastic Moment For About The 30 Of Us True Supportes Who Travelled Up To Support Limerick FC .. You Can Keep Your United V Chealsea Matchs I Would Rather Be Support The Super Blues :D

• Advertisement

vkid wrote: »
    Dont know about LOI but went to the Irish friendlies in Thomond Park last year out of curiosity and free tickets...

A 90 minute snooze would be more exciting imo.

Big difference though between a competitive loi fixture that means a lot to the players and fans and an over priced nothing friendly between two international teams full of premiership players that really gave the impression they didn't want to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

bullets wrote: »
    Cannot stand Football or Rugby or any GAA sport
    apart from being able to tolerate Hurley. So support none. :o
    The sports I like dont be on the telly much.

~B
    Intrigue :)

What are the sports you like that aren't on tv

They are on TV Bullets - You just have to pay the premium Subscription......

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,840 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    I'm a massive Chelsea fan. Love em to bits, if you cut me I would bleed blue.

I'm so glad I went back following them this year, I used to follow them from about 04 -06, but then I rekindled my love for Man Utd for the next 3 seasons, but saw the error of my ways and am back with Chelsea.

I have also had brief spells following Arsenal and Blackburn.

But now it's Chelsea till I die.

Haha! Not one for the digging the underdogs eh?

Been a Manchester United fan since I could walk...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

omen80 wrote: »
    Well said, I'm sick of people saying "soccer" like we're all americans all of a sudden.
    I'm a Newcastle Utd man myself.

When I hear football I think Gealic :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

WoodView wrote: »
    A true supporter of any team stays with their team through good times and bad.l

True - you can change your religion, but football club?!? Never :D

Liverpool all the way ...*

Not originally from Limerick, but have been tempted to go to a local game, but always get advised not to travel there due to danger of car being broken into. Harsh? Glad to be told otherwise if mis-informed.

*... to the Europa League :o

• Advertisement

smcgiff wrote: »
    True - you can change your religion, but football club?!? Never :D

Liverpool all the way ...*

Not originally from Limerick, but have been tempted to go to a local game, but always get advised not to travel there due to danger of car being broken into. Harsh? Glad to be told otherwise if mis-informed.

*... to the Europa League :o

In all the time ive been going to Limerick matches the car has never been broken into. Most people though park their cars over by the park and stroll across the road cause they feel a bit more secure over there. I'm not saying nobodies car has been broken into but from personal experience ive never had a problem. Good thing about Jackman Park is it is so close to town there are a number of car parks near by for added security if you so wish.

If you do decide to make your way up to Jackman (highly advised by me obviuosly) then make sure you take in more than one game. A lot of people go up and watch one match and then don't come back because they don't give it a chance. They expect to go up and be dazzled instantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Big difference though between a competitive loi fixture that means a lot to the players and fans and an over priced nothing friendly between two international teams full of premiership players that really gave the impression they didn't want to be there.

Maybe. I find it a boring sport anyway, way too slow but thought a live international game might be better. It wasnt. I watched maybe 2 world cup games and they were also ****e so its going to be hard to convince me anyway. The 0-0 games really drive me mad. 90 minutes of fannying about with a ball and nothing happens.
    Compare it to hurling, rugby, even football (gaa - cant call soccer football) are far more entertaining imo. Even the snhit games in those sports are watchable imo

vkid wrote: »
    Maybe. I find it a boring sport anyway, way too slow but thought a live international game might be better. It wasnt. I watched maybe 2 world cup games and they were also ****e so its going to be hard to convince me anyway. The 0-0 games really drive me mad. 90 minutes of fannying about with a ball and nothing happens.
    Compare it to hurling, rugby, even football (gaa - cant call soccer football) are far more entertaining imo. Even the snhit games in those sports are watchable imo

Different strokes for different folks i suppose. I enjoy the highs and the lows of following my team around the country when possible. Not just about the game for me but the whole experience and the craic you have. Some look for other things out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

foot.....ball?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 rob230te

Haven't been to as many Limk Fc games as I should. Next for me would be Inter Milan. And no not a bandwagon Mourinho follower, a fan since about 1993.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Super Blues !!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

rob230te wrote: »
    Haven't been to as many Limk Fc games as I should. Next for me would be Inter Milan. And no not a bandwagon Mourinho follower, a fan since about 1993.

You forgot to mention not a bandwagon winners of the Biggest club trophy in the world follower.

Just Mourinho.

Wonder what i'd be prouder of were i a fan since 1993.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 rob230te

I'm sure thre are plenty of those too, but I found as soon as he took over people who hadn't a clue who even played for Inter suddenly became experts.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I wonder would getting a crowd of Limerick Boardsies together to watch a match be a good alternative to a Limerick Beers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I think thats a great idea, support our local club and have a social !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

I used to watch Limerick in the markets field and then above in Rathbane, supported them for years and a certain person who was in the deep fried chicken business f@*kked it all up.

Blues need to serious investment.

Manchester United for me, i was at the 83 FA cup final with my dad only to see United draw, i missed the replay as we had to get the ferry home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I used to watch Limerick in the markets field and then above in Rathbane, supported them for years and a certain person who was in the deep fried chicken business f@*kked it all up.

Manchester United for me, i was at the 83 FA cup final with my dad only to see United draw, i missed the replay as we had to get the ferry home.

There is very good investment in the club by Pat O'Sullivan, who has even turned the club into a trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭flutered

i am supporting limerick on and off for the last 46 years

There is very good investment in the club by Pat O'Sullivan, who has even turned the club into a trust.

I second this. Pat O Sullivan has put some very good investment into the club and is really trying to set good foundations with the community.

Check this out as a good example.

http://limerickfc.ie/community/100624presentation_web.pdf

They have a serious backer in Pat O' Sullivan, What they need is for people to come out a support them.

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    They have a serious backer in Pat O' Sullivan, What they need is for people to come out a support them.

Exactly. We can't expect Pat to continue to invest any money or help out if the people of Limerick don't come out and support the team. The best teams in the country and the world are the best teams for one reason. They have the support which generates the money which buys the players and facilities. Simple as that really.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Olaf

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    Limerick FC for me, no matter how good or bad your home town team is , their your team.
    Live football is like a drug, serious highs and lows but its all good fun! :) funny thing is im glad when the season is over to get a break from it but a few weeks later i find myself at junior games on Sunday mornings to get my fix (not quite 'under the bridge' but close enough)

Have to say though I do enjoy a good barstool session at the weekend (La Liga is fantastic to watch at times) but my home team will always come first.

Was thinking of heading to a Limerick game at some stage alright. What's the standard like?

Liverpool fan. It never gets boring.

Olaf wrote: »
    Was thinking of heading to a Limerick game at some stage alright. What's the standard like?

Its not really about the standard to be honest. Its about the enjoyment of live football week in week out and supporting a team that cares about its fans and needs all the help it can get. The players might not be as good as their premiership counter parts but ive been to much more entertaining games in Jackman than ive seen on telly in a long time. The standard everywhere is gone to the dogs if you ask me. Premiership is way too predictable, World Cup was crap and so was Champions League.

My advice as ive posted here already is to give a few games a go. The likes of Steven O Flynn, John Tierney and Pat Purcell are well worth going in to watch.

Olaf wrote: »

Few beers always help, its decent at times, poor at times. really depends on who your playing and if their gonna lump the ball around for 90mins. Then it turns into a scrap, but we seem to be pulling results from poor games this year. Give us a decent pitch (cork, wexford, Shels) and you'll get fast flowing counter attacking football.

Give it a go, even chance an away trip with the SC, now thats well worth a go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

tottenham for me been through the good and bad times since 1986.on the limerick fc thing went a few times last season but 12 euro to go watch crap.better off watching junior league imo

Advertisement