Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giant FCR 3 -> Defy 1 frameset. Worthwhile upgrade?

• 13-07-2010 10:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭

My current bike is a Giant FCR 3 in Medium. According to the Giant FCR 3 specs it has a downtube length of 50cm and an effective top tube of 56.5cm though my top tube length measures at 56cm. I have dropped bars on a 100mm stem and about 11cm of seatpost extension.

I'm considering Mr Skeffington's Defy 1 frameset but this is a large and according to the Defy 1 spec has a downtube of 55.5cm and a top tube of 57.5cm.

I'm about 5' 6". So, firstly, will this frame fit me? Given 11cm of seatpost extension, presumably it's not too high. The extra 15mm of top tube shouldn't be an issue?

Secondly, is this a worthwhile upgrade to do? I've already upgraded the 8-sp Sora drivetrain to 9-sp Tiagra and have upgraded the wheels to Mavic Aksium. I presume I get a carbon fork and lighter frame out of this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I ll let others more knowledgeable do the maths and discuss top tube length, but my first impression when i read this was 5'6 and you want to buy a large frame?

I ve a medium defy 4 and am 5'8.5 and its not even close to small for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I know. That's the thing. The numbers look ok though compared with my own which is why I'm wondering...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'm 6ft and ride large in Giant. Difficult to imagine it fitting 5ft6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I'm 5' 7" and had a Giant SCR C3 in Medium. I was never happy with the fit, I felt as if the top tube was that little bit too long for me.

I ended up selling it and bought a size 53 road bike instead and that's much more comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Giants "Large" is for 5'10" and up.

• Advertisement

Looking further, the Defy's 20cm head tube vs the FCR's 17cm puts the bars higher while the 55.5cm seat tube (L) vs the 50cm (M) would leave my saddle either level with or lower than the bars which ain't going to be very aero. Currently my bars are about 20mm lower and at the limit of what the head tube will allow.

I guess I have to slink away, hands in pockets and kicking empty cans at passing cats...

Just for interest, How much better than the FCR3 frameset (Alu fork) is the Defy 1 frameset (carbon fork)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

You seem to be incerementally upgrading towards your ideal bike. Would you not be better to draw a line under the upgrading now, put some money aside and make a big purchase further down the line?

That's a hard one to call. As a husband and father a single big upgrade may be difficult while incremental stuff is easier. There's also the point that I don't yet know what my ideal bike is but I'm fairly sure I'll only have one at a time. It'll also be another 4 years before I can invoke the BTW scheme again.

Apart from the flat - drop bars conversion, all of the upgrades have been replacements of worn out components so it's just sensible to get better replacements. There does appear to be a limit to where I can go with the FCR frame though I'm not quite there yet. I've always been a fan of incremental upgrades anyhow. Almost none of my computers were ever bought new in any of their configurations. They were all Frankensteinesque creations...

I reckon the next big upgrade will be a frame somewhere along the line. There may be all the other bits attached or there may not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I hear ya. I've been looking around at bikes, frames and general upgrades myself. And you just seem to save sooo much money if you buy an entire bike. Seems if you want to build a bike that you'd have to get all the individual items at a fairly big discount to match the price of just buying a full bike of similar spec.

Anyways, not wishing to do Mr Skeff out of a sale, I think the frame would be too big. I am 5'10"(and a half!) and ride a medium SCR. I myself would get an M/L in the Defy. Definitely not a large.

Advertisement