Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann COMPLAINTS!! (cutbacks)

Options
  • 13-07-2010 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

I thought it was about time some one started a thread on this because what's going on is simply just outragious with this company.

I along with 12-14 other people were left standing in Donegal Town tonight, waiting on a connecting bus which is operated by Bus Eireann which would take us all from Donegal Town to Glencolmcille and as far as Dungloe. This bus is a connecting bus to the 5pm Dublin Service which I and many other passangers travel on a weekly basis!

However, since July 5th this service has been cancelled for an earlier bus at 5.30pm from Donegal Town which would mean if you left Donegal that morning to go for a hospital appointment in dublin etc, you would have to incurr the cost of either staying up the night or else paying a taxi to get home.

I also wish to point out that Bus Eireann are supposed to give its customers 30 days prior notice before implementing such changes. Such changes were actually posted in The Donegal Democrat on Thursday the 1st of July, giving customers only 4 days notice. Also to note, nothing was posted on their website www.buseireann.ie until the same day to notify customers.

This service has been cut by the stroke of a pen rather than using the actual statistics. If a service is in use why do you cut it....too many chiefs thats don't have a clue!:confused:

Also, Dungloe has completely been cut off during its peak season with one of the largest festivals in Donegal on during the summer! And finally, Glencolmcille is also now cut off-another huge tourist attraction! Have Bus Eireann just shot themselves in the foot, I think so!

Has anybody else an opinion on this?

PS: I for one will be stopping my weekly trips from Dublin if I have to find an alternation means of transport after Donegal Town which will equal €1,000 less in Bus Eireann's pocket each year!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

Ever since McGeehan's sold out to Bus Eireann I have only gone on that bus route ONCE and it was a nightmare. 6 and a half hours on a bloody bus on a journey that use to take 4hours 50 mins.

I always use to go on it every second week. But yeah it's a disgrace, transport in southwest and west Donegal is laughable. This is why I got a car as soon as I turned 17.

P.S. I live in Dungloe. I now get the bus to Letterkenny if I am bussing it up and get a lift from my father or someone. Or if I'm feeling rich I get the plane up. haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Nothing surprises me anymore sure we are the forgotten people here in the South West and this is just another nail in the coffin and I agree with the McGeehans quote totally.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Carrickman wrote: »
    Nothing surprises me anymore sure we are the forgotten people here in the South West and this is just another nail in the coffin and I agree with the McGeehans quote totally.

Hey it's not just the south west of the county. Bus Eireann goes no further north than Letterkenny leaving you to rely on now near 40 year old buses that Swilly Bus use maybe once a day. There is no late buses to anywhere for example the Rathmullen/Letterkenny route leaves Rathmullen at half 8 in the morning only and only comes back at half 4. So if you miss either of these there is no alternative than a taxi. You can imagine how awkward that is for other buses going to or coming from Dublin or Galway or anywhere really. Donegal has been forgotten for years and its not going to change anytime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

I personally travel on this service 40 weeks per year! Yea unfortunately since Mc Geehan's went in conjunction with Bus Eireann things have gone from bad to worse for the people of South-West Donegal.

Donegalgirl, I don't blame you at all...Like yourself, if I was wealthy it I would be better off flying especially now since we don't have a bus anymore.

This is going to seriously affect students comming home on a Wednesday or Thursday night in September, I have a funny feeling their will be alot less people travelling including myself because I'll have to walk from Donegal Town because I don't drive!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

Our landlord was telling us about this. He travels up and down to Dublin a lot, now has to drive over the mountain to DG Town. It now limits his and his wife's abilities to work in both places.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Complain to your local green party representative, on budget day Minister Gormley announced the carbon tax on fuel, in his words "to (force) people to use more public transport" and on the same day they announce a 12% cut in funding for Bus Eireann. Its nothing more than a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

Fuel rebates and taxes have alot to do with it..however, in bus eireann's case it is clearly too many chief senario.

As of yet, I have seen nothing being done which is starting to piss me off...!!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

Is anybody surprised? They are a disgrace a joke of a company

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Well it's reinstated until the end of August. Hopefully the discussions can get it permanent again.

Highland Radio » Bus Eireann reinstate Dublin – West Donegal service pending local discussions

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭CoolGirl101

I was waiting for a bus today, even hailed it down, and he looked at me and drove STRAIGHT past.....anyone know where to direct complaints?

Was it Bus Eireann? If so, then you have to complain to the regional manager in writing.

NORTH WEST

Sligo
    Rory Leahy, Regional Manager, (071) 60066
    Bus Éireann, McDiarmada Station, Sligo.

Ballina
    James Flannery, Acting Services Manager, (096) 71800
    Bus Éireann, Bus Station, Ballina, Co. Mayo.
    If however you have a complaint or difficulty that you wish to pursue you can write to the relevant Regional Manager, names and addresses are set out below. Please include as much detail as possible such as time of travel, origin and destination of your journey to assist us in dealing with you.

We are committed to fully and fairly investigating all complaints and welcome the opportunity they offer to resolve any difficulties you experience.

If you are not satisfied with the reply you receive from our Regional Manager you may request Manager, Business Development to review your complaint by writing to him at Bus Éireann, Broadstone, Dublin 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭CoolGirl101

Was it Bus Eireann? If so, then you have to complain to the regional manager in writing.

NORTH WEST

Sligo
    Rory Leahy, Regional Manager, (071) 60066
    Bus Éireann, McDiarmada Station, Sligo.

Ballina
    James Flannery, Acting Services Manager, (096) 71800
    Bus Éireann, Bus Station, Ballina, Co. Mayo.

Yep it was, thank you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

danniemcq wrote: »
    Hey it's not just the south west of the county. Bus Eireann goes no further north than Letterkenny leaving you to rely on now near 40 year old buses that Swilly Bus use maybe once a day. There is no late buses to anywhere for example the Rathmullen/Letterkenny route leaves Rathmullen at half 8 in the morning only and only comes back at half 4. So if you miss either of these there is no alternative than a taxi. You can imagine how awkward that is for other buses going to or coming from Dublin or Galway or anywhere really. Donegal has been forgotten for years and its not going to change anytime soon

As far as i know Bus Eireann are not permitted to offer services north of letterkenny as Lough Swilly have sole rights to public transport services for north donegal, inishowen and west of the county so its not simply a case of bus eireann not offering a bus service.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Hi,
    I am going to be travelling up to Letterkenny intermittently for work over the next few months. I was thinking of staying out in Rathmullen for a few days and was wondering about public transport options.

Is there a bus that would get you from Rathmullen to Letterkenny for around 9am? Would there be one that leaves Letterkenny after 4:30 going back to Rathmullen?

If not would anyone have an idea on the Price of a taxi from Rathmullen to say the Port Road?

Cheers,
    KP

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

kiwipower wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am going to be travelling up to Letterkenny intermittently for work over the next few months. I was thinking of staying out in Rathmullen for a few days and was wondering about public transport options.

Is there a bus that would get you from Rathmullen to Letterkenny for around 9am? Would there be one that leaves Letterkenny after 4:30 going back to Rathmullen?

If not would anyone have an idea on the Price of a taxi from Rathmullen to say the Port Road?

Cheers,
    KP

I'm guessing a taxi would cost roughly €30-40 depending on which taxi company you use, so it would actually be cheaper to hire a car for a few days. As for buses i'd say your limited to Lough Swilly buses as no other service operates in that area (that i know of) I'm sure LS have a timetable on their website (if they have a website)

Thanks CJC!
    I had a look at the LS website (yes they do have one) but its timetable section is a bit poor and confusing for someone not familiar with Donegal. Had been hoping to bring my partner with me and leave them the car during the day while I was working.

The taki does sound expensive but I guess about right for the distance.

Wonder if I could hijack a school bus for a couple of mornings:confused:

taxi is around 30 quid, as for buses not a hope,

there is a bus early in the morning and thats it during the week. No return buses Letterkenny to Rathmullen during the week. There is a bus at 5ish that'll get you as far as Ramelton (half way) they changed their timetables recently and won't change them again till the schools reopen i'd say

Hi DannieMcQ,
    Thanks for the info. Any chance you would know what time the early morning bus leaves Rathmullen? If my plan works out it would be during school term we would be in Rathmullen.

off the top of my head though i think it was around 8 in the morning, maybe a bit after but i'll be passing by the station after work and i'll call in and get all the details i can.

It could be tomorrow though as there isn't always someone in the office.

• Advertisement

Hey Dannie,
    Thanks for the offer but dont put yourself out!
    I'll give them a call. Its just a rough idea at the moment.
    Im hoping the other half wont mind me working a few extra days in Letterkenny if I treat them to Rathmullen House! (It looks amazing online!)
    Next thing will be keeping the fingers crossed for a good deal! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭WANTStoWORK

I thought ye had Donkey and Carts in Donegal, why would ye need a bus????

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

why would ye need a bus????
    To help you around Donegal for the next 2 weeks as you ain't using this forum.

Advertisement