Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Downies.....or things to do in Donegal

Options
  • 13-07-2010 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭

Hey there going up to this neck of the woods in middle of August. Due to money situation and stuff it will be our first time holidaying in ireland.

Can folk suggest things that we (me, wife, 2 1/2 yr old and 3 months old) could do or places to visit. Will be up there from the 16th of August.

Really appreciate any advcie or info you can give

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

Which direction will you be coming into Donegal from , will you be coming in through Lifford, (from Dublin via northern Ireland ) or will you be coming in from the Sligo direction, if its a short visit you may not have time to see it all , Any part of the coast is good really, the main one I suppose is the kids , in a car or a camper ? Me I would advise a camper ,the kids would be reasonably comfortable for naps and such and there's plenty of parking facilities , it gives you the best chance to see the coastline without the hassle of booking B+B's and such, The beaches are so beautiful here if we get the weather , if not there are a couple of towns like Bundoran or Letterkenny (im sure there's more ) that have swimming pools and the like, sorry not much help yet but keep this thread going youl get plenty of help, Good luck and welcome in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Where about are you staying?

Donegals a big place so if you're staying around Donegal Town for example its quite a distance to get to the North of the county

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

Hello,

As the guys above say I think it depends on where you are staying and how long.

I am planning a trip around the north west soon, mainly donegal. I will be staying in the Ballybofey area as I think it is the most central of Donegal and easy to access north and south Donegal and well as Northern Ireland. Here is what I've come up with so far (would love some extra ideas):

Day 1: Beltany Stone circle - Raphoe, onto Grianan Ailigh - near burt, walled city of Derry, Malin head - most northern point of Ireland, Dunree fort, mamore gap and maybe a few beaches.

Day 2: Ulster American Folk park - near Omagh, then a few drinks in the evening in Pat Bonners Corner Bar :)

Day 3: Giants Cause way, Dunluce Castle, Rope bridge, Bushmlls Distillery, Bishops castle (not sure about this name) - all in Co. Antrim I think.

Day 4: Donegal Castle - Donegal town, Sliabh liag, Narin & Portnoo (I think there is a very large portal Dolmen near here but I'm not sure where it is, there may also be a castle on an island too - if anyone knows where and would like to share I'm all ears)

Day 5: Glenveagh castle, Portsalon, maybe ards forest park?

I'm looking for some ideas on days 2, 4 & 5.But I hop my plan can be of some help to you.

WM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

water-man wrote: »
    Hello,

As the guys above say I think it depends on where you are staying and how long.

I am planning a trip around the north west soon, mainly donegal. I will be staying in the Ballybofey area as I think it is the most central of Donegal and easy to access north and south Donegal and well as Northern Ireland. Here is what I've come up with so far (would love some extra ideas):

Day 1: Beltany Stone circle - Raphoe, onto Grianan Ailigh - near burt, walled city of Derry, Malin head - most northern point of Ireland, Dunree fort, mamore gap and maybe a few beaches.

Day 2: Ulster American Folk park - near Omagh, then a few drinks in the evening in Pat Bonners Corner Bar :)

Day 3: Giants Cause way, Dunluce Castle, Rope bridge, Bushmlls Distillery, Bishops castle (not sure about this name) - all in Co. Antrim I think.

Day 4: Donegal Castle - Donegal town, Sliabh liag, Narin & Portnoo (I think there is a very large portal Dolmen near here but I'm not sure where it is, there may also be a castle on an island too - if anyone knows where and would like to share I'm all ears)

Day 5: Glenveagh castle, Portsalon, maybe ards forest park?

I'm looking for some ideas on days 2, 4 & 5.But I hop my plan can be of some help to you.

WM

Great itinerary - you should go into the tourist business :) If you have any spare time in this plan, maybe you should rest - that's a lot of travelling on roads that will tire you.
    BTW, definitely Ards Forest Park - you can walk your legs off or relax and enjoy the views while having a picnic. Depending on our wonderful weather, of course. Bring wellies and a raincoat just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭nonsmoker

racso1975 wrote: »
    Hey there going up to this neck of the woods in middle of August. Due to money situation and stuff it will be our first time holidaying in ireland.

Can folk suggest things that we (me, wife, 2 1/2 yr old and 3 months old) could do or places to visit. Will be up there from the 16th of August.

Really appreciate any advcie or info you can give

If you are coming to Downings, being a bit biased here but a drive around the area to view the spectacular scenery, ie Atlantic drive, you could maybe cross over the controversial bridge to nowhere to the Fanad peninsula and visit Fanad Lighthouse and the beautiful Ballymastocker beach.
    Downings and Portsalon both have excellent golf courses, the Downings Bay hotel has Kids Kingdom (1/2 mile from hotel) which may suit your kids.

There is also Ards Forest park which is not too far from Downings, it has picnic site, playground etc and Glenveagh National park is close enough as well
    Lots of the small towns here in Donegal have their own festivals at this time of the year, there may be 1 on somewhere close to Downings at the time you are here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

You seem to be squeezing a huge amount into some of those days, looking at Day 1 for example you could nearly spend a full day in Derry alone then its quite a drive to Malin and back to Ballybofey, especially if you're fitting in all those other places, definitely suggest you try and cut a few places out or stretch it out to a couple of extra days as you'll end up rushing through places without really appreciating them.

As for other ideas, I see you haven't got anywhere in the west, theres plenty of great spots around the Rosses area, Island visits, great beaches, vishing villages etc

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Astro Zombie

Ards Forest Park is a great spot, forest, beaches and Ards Friary is a nice place to visit if you do go there. If your in that area (Creeslough) Doe Castle is'nt too far from It, 10 minutes in the road from Creeslough is the Dunfanaghy workhouse, and a further fifteen will take you into the Gaeltacht where you can visit An tSean Bhearic in Falcarragh, which is quite close to Muckish mountain which is quite an easy climb, you walk most of it, and is well worth it for the views. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

Ards Forest Park is a great spot, forest, beaches and Ards Friary is a nice place to visit if you do go there. If your in that area (Creeslough) Doe Castle is'nt too far from It, 10 minutes in the road from Creeslough is the Dunfanaghy workhouse, and a further fifteen will take you into the Gaeltacht where you can visit An tSean Bhearic in Falcarragh, which is quite close to Muckish mountain which is quite an easy climb, you walk most of it, and is well worth it for the views. :D

If you go to Ards forest park (and I can't recommend it enough) make sure you have 4 euros in coins for the parking on the way out as it now has an automated barrier. Also Ards has a nice cooffee shop located in the car park too.

Would also recommend Ionad Cois Locha at Dunlewey at the foot of Errigal (http://www.dunleweycentre.com/index.htm) good for the kids, its about 10 mins up the road from Glenveagh. Got a Craft shop, Kids play area, Boat trip on the lake and a farm yard where you can feed the animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Would also recommend Ionad Cois Locha at Dunlewey at the foot of Errigal (http://www.dunleweycentre.com/index.htm) good for the kids, its about 10 mins up the road from Glenveagh. Got a Craft shop, Kids play area, Boat trip on the lake and a farm yard where you can feed the animals.
    Yup, Id agree with that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Hey Folks just wanted to say thanks for the replys really appreciate the effort an information you have given

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

water-man wrote: »
    Day 5: Glenveagh castle
    Just make sure to bring insect repellant. The midges can be tortuos in Glenveigh.

Advertisement