Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity Shops in Sligo

Options
  • 13-07-2010 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've only recently moved back to Sligo for the summer and I'm interested in perusing some of the charity shops in town.

So far I'm aware of:
    Enable Ireland in the Wine St. carpark
    Oxfam on Grattan St
    &
    Mrs Quin's.

But I'm told there's a St. Vincent De Paul shop and after a google search I'm being presented with different streets. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maggie Benson

The St. Vincent de Paul shop in Sligo is located in Harmony Hill which is the at straight up the hill from O'Connell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I thought SVDP was on John Street straight up past 4 Lanterns on the right hand side just after the little laneway of an entrance to the rear of Tesco carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

The charity shop on Harmony hill is the Trift shop run by Sligo Social Services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I thought SVDP was on John Street straight up past 4 Lanterns on the right hand side just after the little laneway of an entrance to the rear of Tesco carpark.

That was the SVDP headquarters and it has since moved to Stephen Street. I don't know of a SVDP shop however, the one on Harmony Hill is the Social Services.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Truley wrote: »
    That was the SVDP headquarters and it has since moved to Stephen Street. I don't know of a SVDP shop however, the one on Harmony Hill is the Social Services.

I see, because on the SVDP website their shops are called 'Thrift Shop', I was being told all sorts of places on google, but not harmony hill. Doesn't matter who anyway, as long as its going to a worthy cause!

Thanks for settling this for me everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I highly recommend Mrs Quins on John Street really nice clothes there and friendly staff to boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

The SVDP shop used to be on John Street, it's gone now.

There is another charity shop on Wine Street (where Peter John used to be).

Mrs. Quinns is by far the best though, lovely staff and some great bargains to be had. I love charity shops:D

Truley wrote: »
    I highly recommend Mrs Quins on John Street really nice clothes there and friendly staff to boot!

Yes, that's actually one of my favourites, changing room is a bit awkward with the mirror though. But I like how spacious it is, feels like a vintage store or something and the staff are really friendly.

I like Oxfam too, bright and spacious, good selection and changing rooms. I work there too and have nothing but good things to say about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 fordey101

I know this is a very old thread but I was wondering about that charity shop beside the four lanterns? Is it still a charity shop, they have a new exterior? I presume the enable ireland shop accepts clothes to sell too?

fordey101 wrote: »
    I know this is a very old thread but I was wondering about that charity shop beside the four lanterns? Is it still a charity shop, they have a new exterior? I presume the enable ireland shop accepts clothes to sell too?

Yep! Christie the manager has it all done up now, just jazzed up the exterior a bit and he's always delighted to accept new stuff! Friendliest charity shop in town! The charity is the national council for the blind I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Yes....Enable Ireland accepts good quality clothing,books and bric a brac. They do great work for cerebral palsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭SligoLady

The charity shop on Wine Street is called L'Arche (where Peter Johns used to be). It's packed to the gills so difficult to look around comfortably. It's got tons of books though, all for €1 or €2 so I go in regularly to buy a few weeks worth of reading for less than a tenner, love it! :)

I've been disappointed with the charity shops in town over the past few months, saturated with Penneys/Tesco/A-wear clothes. I must call into L'Arche again, haven't been there since last summer, the smell of damp put me off a bit.

Oxfam are looking for volunteers at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭SligoLady

Yeh, the smell of damp is very off-putting in L'Arche. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I think they just accept items in the door and put them straight on the floor, don't think there's much of a washing or sorting regime in place. I know they're volunteers and doing the best that they can, which is very admirable but sometimes I really just feel like giving them a few hours training in merchandising, presentation and customer service!!;)

SligoLady wrote: »
    Yeh, the smell of damp is very off-putting in L'Arche. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I think they just accept items in the door and put them straight on the floor, don't think there's much of a washing or sorting regime in place. I know they're volunteers and doing the best that they can, which is very admirable but sometimes I really just feel like giving them a few hours training in merchandising, presentation and customer service!!;)

I absolutely always wash charity shop clothes before wearing them, because they only get a steam in charity shops anyway.

They've smartened up the outside but its not really clear that its a charity shop. I had a look in the window when it was closed the other day and it does seems to cater for an older market, but I like the challenge of having a root around.

Was in L'Arche today and saw a couple of nice things. Very expensive though for some items (blazers, suits, etc). The woman overcharged me for the skirt I bought that was stained in the first place, but it'd be a bit stingy to go hand in glove for the sake of a couple of euro.

Hmm.

I'm not a big fan of Enable Ireland either, again overpriced, 90s clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

The thing to remember here is that any stock in any of the chartity shops is as the result of donations by the general public....you and me.... so they have absolutly no control over what style etc that their clothes stock is going to be.

johnire wrote: »
    The thing to remember here is that any stock in any of the chartity shops is as the result of donations by the general public....you and me.... so they have absolutly no control over what style etc that their clothes stock is going to be.

Yes, I have worked in charity shops. I'm just generally saying that the merchandising of the stock is often dated - and some of the aforementioned 90s clothes are often overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 aine100

Does anyone know if any of the charity shops in Sligo are taking toys? I have a lot of toys to clear out and they are in good condition and from a smoke free home. Social services don't tale them and Enabe Ireland have enough for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

you could always put them free to a good home on adverts if the charity shops are full .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

aine100 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if any of the charity shops in Sligo are taking toys? I have a lot of toys to clear out and they are in good condition and from a smoke free home. Social services don't tale them and Enabe Ireland have enough for the moment.

I'm sure L'Arche will take em.

Advertisement