Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Being average - a good or a bad thing?

• 13-07-2010 11:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

I consider myself to be average in appearance. I'm 5'5, size 10-12, blue eyes, pale skin, mousy blonde hair with highlights. I'm not going to set the world on fire, so to speak, and I rarely turn heads when I walk into a room. Most of the time I'm ok with being average because I'm like most other people and I "fit in". Other times I'd like to be a bit different and dramatic but on the whole being average is ok even if it gets a bit boring at times.

Does anybody else consider themselves to be very average and if so, how do you feel about it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭LilMsss

I don't consider myself to be average looks-wise - not to say that I think I'm a stunner either, but can definitely turn heads when needs be - tall, blonde etc, so could never really fade into the background even if I wanted to.

I think it's all about confidence. I've met people over the years (men and women) who at first glance I'd think were average, or even a little unattractive but something about them or their personality will suddenly draw people to them and their perceived status (at least to me) is raised because of it.

While there's nothing wrong with average, I think very few people are actually 'average'. We all have unique aspects to our looks, personality, the way we carry ourselves etc that make us stand out from the crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

^ What she said!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

No one is average. Just have confidence and selfworth. As long as the person that counts most to you thinks you're the most beautiful amazing person on the planet, then that's all that matters. Believe everything good anyone has ever said about you, because they see you. I don't think any girl thinks they're prettier then their friends, even the "pretty friends" think that! Perception and all that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Looks-wise, the vast majority of girls can be beautiful with well applied make-up, especially eye make-up. :)
    And a great personality increases a person's attractiveness infinitely.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

TBH I would say IMHO most people are "average"(v much inc myself)with a side order of unusual bits. Most follow within narrow enough parameters. What I would also say is so what? You defo don't feel average to yourself or to your friends or family so no biggy. I would also say that most outliers are average save for one thing, or want to be.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Dudess wrote: »
    Looks-wise, the vast majority of girls can be beautiful with well applied make-up, especially eye make-up. :)
    And a great personality increases a person's attractiveness infinitely.

I'd definitely agree on the personality thing. There's a girl in college who is the definition of incredible. Blonde, tall, just perfect everywhere. Has no trouble bagging a lad if she wanted to. Only problem is you can't hold a conversation with her at all. She seems almost anti-social in her conversation levels. I was having the crack with her one night after I gave her money for a pizza the week before. She said she'd give it back but a week later and she still hadn't so I started messing hassling her for it and she just stood there and said "okay, okay, okay I'll give it back". Things like this have happened over and over again and she's just hopeless. I've no doubt she's great crack with her friends and all that but I'd definitely be turned off by that anyway. Saying that I'm still holding out that one she'll have the crack a bit haha.

On the other side then I know another girl who you could talk to all day about the most nonsense of things. She's very, very heavy though, but I'm sure she'd be very good looking if she could lose the weight cause her sister is class and she's slim. I don't mean it in a bad way but she definitely wouldn't be turning heads.

In my opinion the personality can be the maker or breaker with a girl. A girl can change her look with a new haircut or a new dress but if she is nigh on impossible to talk to for sustained period of time then good luck to ya sonny.

Also as someone else said confidence is a huge thing. My dad harps on about it to me the whole time and my manager says it to me. I tend to walk around the pitch with my head down. People notice these things and they more often than not judge you on them, resulting in me not getting as many games as maybe I should be. A simple smile and a head held high is generally enough to catch any lads attention, believe me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭seenitall

No, I don't consider myself to be average looks-wise. Perhaps I am up myself or something, but there it is! :D

I may be a short-ass, on the wrong side of 35, and look washed up without lipstick, but at least I have my Slavic cheekbones! :cool:

On a more serious note, I don't think it is all that healthy to consider oneself average, even if one is average looking. People generally need to feel special to somebody in order to thrive emotionally, and it is best when this feeling of special-ness and worth starts with the person themselves. Focus on your good points and areas and consider yourself beautiful! Life's short.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd definitely agree on the personality thing. There's a girl in college who is the definition of incredible. Blonde, tall, just perfect everywhere. Has no trouble bagging a lad if she wanted to. Only problem is you can't hold a conversation with her at all. She seems almost anti-social in her conversation levels. I was having the crack with her one night after I gave her money for a pizza the week before. She said she'd give it back but a week later and she still hadn't so I started messing hassling her for it and she just stood there and said "okay, okay, okay I'll give it back". Things like this have happened over and over again and she's just hopeless.
    I've come across that before. I think if someone is considered extremely beautiful by the culture of the time and has been like that since they were a child, they simply don't have to generate much of a social persona. From early on they realise they don't really need one. People will engage with them anyway. You tend to get more women like this, almost entirely because the society values their beauty above anything else. Even if she turned out to be Marie Curie, the first point of reference will be her looks.

I remember watching an interview with Cindy Crawford where she mentioned this. Someone asked her why people assume models are dumb and that was part of her take on it. That and models tend to be in that game from a very young age. Their development is stunted and most of their focus is on how they look, so its no wonder they may have little conversation outside of that. AFAIR she herself had an engineering(?) degree, but no one mentioned it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Wibbs wrote: »
    I've come across that before. I think if someone is considered extremely beautiful by the culture of the time and has been like that since they were a child, they simply don't have to generate much of a social persona. From early on they realise they don't really need one. People will engage with them anyway. You tend to get more women like this, almost entirely because the society values their beauty above anything else. Even if she turned out to be Marie Curie, the first point of reference will be her looks.

I remember watching an interview with Cindy Crawford where she mentioned this. Someone asked her why people assume models are dumb and that was part of her take on it. That and models tend to be in that game from a very young age. Their development is stunted and most of their focus is on how they look, so its no wonder they may have little conversation outside of that. AFAIR she herself had an engineering(?) degree, but no one mentioned it.

100% agree. I know people of both sexes like this. Not just pretty girls but lads who're say great at football (or whatever) and get by, socially, at a young age because of this. A deeper social personality is stunted because it's not really needed.

When it comes to being 'average' or whatever though, I reckon you're only as 'average' as you let yourself be. As Wibbs said, everyone operates within the same parameters. We're all the same species with, in general, the same limitations and freedoms. Physicality has very little to do with that. It's all about how you exercise your freedoms and push your limitations. Look at people who you'd never consider 'average' and ask yourself what it really is that makes them special. I'd say the answer is either gonna be that they've a fantastic personality or they've pushed themselves to achieve something special (which is really just an extension of their personality anyway). 'Beautiful' people are not extraordinary by the fact of their beauty alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Physicality has very little to do with that. It's all about how you exercise your freedoms and push your limitations.

Yes and no. I trained really hard for a 10K and finished it in just under 60 minutes. I reckon that's an average time considering how much I trained. An person who is more of a runners build would finish a lot faster with the same amount of training and diet. Even so, the real achievement for me was the fundraising I did.
    Look at people who you'd never consider 'average' and ask yourself what it really is that makes them special. I'd say the answer is either gonna be that they've a fantastic personality or they've pushed themselves to achieve something special (which is really just an extension of their personality anyway). 'Beautiful' people are not extraordinary by the fact of their beauty alone.

Maybe not, but beauty is the first thing you notice about them. I agree that most people have to push themselves to achieve things but the more average a person is the harder he or she will have to push because average people have to work harder to be noticed. It's probably true that average people get on better with most people than non-average people because average people have to work harder on their personalities and talents from the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I think a smile/happy face(not psycho) can turn an 'average' looking person into an attractive person. Really hope this doesn't offend anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Why the focus on average vs pretty/attractive? Why are they the only two options [well three but notice no one has gone for the ugly tag yet] I'm not average or pretty I'm odd and very happy being odd :D Most people who are judged to be pretty are boring so blah...why would anyone want to fit into such a boring model?

Be odd, be kooky, be unconventional, be weird, but most of all be interesting :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

ztoical wrote: »
    Why the focus on average vs pretty/attractive? Why are they the only two options [well three but notice no one has gone for the ugly tag yet] I'm not average or pretty I'm odd and very happy being odd :D Most people who are judged to be pretty are boring so blah...why would anyone want to fit into such a boring model?

Be odd, be kooky, be unconventional, be weird, but most of all be interesting :p

I'm talking about being average as opposed to beautiful or ugly. I think that average people can look good or be achievers but they have to work harder at it than most. I was wondering if anyone else thought the same thing. To paraphrase the pigs in Orwell's Animal Farm, some of us are more average than others, so it would follow that the more "average" one is, the harder one has to work at everything to be an achiever or be noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

There is nothing worse than someone who tries to be kooky or unconventional for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Attractive doesn't have to mean beautiful. It can mean to ATTRACT someones attention for whatever reason to look at them. And a nice smile however quirky or conventional the person is attractive to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Sangre wrote: »
    There is nothing worse than someone who tries to be kooky or unconventional for the sake of it.

I don't have to try I just am :D

And hows it any different to people piling on make-up, wearing heels and push up bras to fit a certain mold?
    I'm talking about being average as opposed to beautiful or ugly. I think that average people can look good or be achievers but they have to work harder at it than most. I was wondering if anyone else thought the same thing. To paraphrase the pigs in Orwell's Animal Farm, some of us are more average than others, so it would follow that the more "average" one is, the harder one has to work at everything to be an achiever or be noticed.

Well were back to the earlier threads of what is "attractive/beautiful"...have seen plenty of so called beautiful people not get jobs due to being too beautiful as the people hiring felt they'd be a distraction. Grass is always greener and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I've grown up with the concept of being the "plain jane" in my head. My female cousins were all tall, slim, fantastic hair, whereas I was the frumpy one with the frizzy curls. I just accepted it, I wasn't an oil painting by any means and there are prettier girls out there.
    Then a couple of years ago I was out with work and one of my colleagues (a guy) leaned across the table in the midst of all the chat and banter going on around us and said - ya know you have the most beautiful eyes-
    :o
    To say I was tomato red instantly was an understatement!!
    That one statement gave me one feature that I was proud of despite all my body image issues.

And then the other night I was whinging to my OH about being overweight despite all my efforts and he just turned around and told me that although I wasn't skinny I was beautiful...I think I love him now
    :D

I've always got by on my personality because I was the frumpy one, but my weight has given me cracking boobs, so between them and the eyes I'm away on a hack, but until someone pointed out my "assets" I was not confident enough to flaunt them so to speak and thats why I always kinda blended into the crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

TBH I would say IMHO most people are "average"(v much inc myself)with a side order of unusual bits.

Well most people have to be average or otherwise it wouldn't be average. If everyone was really beautiful then the really beautiful would be average and only the exceptionally beautiful would stand out as especially attractive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

iguana wrote: »
    Well most people have to be average or otherwise it wouldn't be average. If everyone was really beautiful then the really beautiful would be average and only the exceptionally beautiful would stand out as especially attractive.

Exactly!!

I do think there's something good about being average. Although I sometimes envy my friends who are stunningly attractive, I'm sure sometimes they want to just blend in, or be able to interact with people from a 'blank slate' position, whereas we probably have more preconceptions about beautiful people.

I'd definitely count myself as average, and I like the fact that my looks don't 'count' as much with new people as they would with someone who is stunningly beautiful or very ugly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

But what is 'average'?

If we take the mathematical definition, it means a measure of the 'middle' or 'expected' value of a data set. The question then follows...what is the data set?

If your data set is your friends and peers who come from a certain background, with a certain level of attractiveness and have a certain range of life, travel, love etc experiences...and you are mathematically 'average' among them...well you can be sure you would be 'extraordinary' if you change your data set.

Go to Japan, for example. Or sub saharan Africa. You're sure as hell not 'average' there.

Going back to the OP...I'm pretty sure the average person doesn't train for a 10k. It puts the OP above the 'average' member of the population who hasn't summoned up that motivation and puts her into a league of people who have. In this new league, sure, maybe her achievement is 'average' but why belittle yourself in such a way after working so hard to achieve something that your 'average' punter hasn't achieved anyway?

As others have pointed out - this is completely a confidence thing. 'Average' is a state of mind. It's got nothing to do with how others perceive you, it's about how you perceive yourself.

For example, I could look at myself in two different ways:

1. I'm not an absolute stunner, nor am I unattractive...therefore I'm a mid twenties woman of average appearance. A little below average height in general, but then a lot of Irish girls are short, so lets say I'm of 'average' height; have 'average' facial features, am on an 'average' wage, have an 'average' amount of friends and have travelled an 'average' amount. My opinions are rarely sensational or offensive, nor are they dull and boring, therefore they are 'average'.

2. I'm an attractive girl who knows what to wear/not wear to accentuate her features. I'm short and revel in it - I'm usually the shortest in a room (without heels) and am usually noticed for this. I have nice features - green eyes, sallow skin, really thick hair and have a pretty awesome job. My friends are like family and my opinions are not always right, but almost always educated and well articulated.

F%&k the mathematics, what would be the benefit of thinking about myself as girl no.1?

I'd be miserable all the time, constantly telling myself there was 'nothing special' or noticeable about me...people would pick up on this lack of confidence, allowing me to become 'invisible' socially, I'd become even more self-loathing and probably not bother my a$$ to work on the few 'average' qualities I have...

What a horrible existence! Why would you do that to yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

I love the illusory superiority going on this thread:D

Sorry to break it to you but it's pretty likely you're average. People view there own lives as being somehow different to everyone else's because theirs is the only one they see from the first person.

beks101 wrote: »
    But what is 'average'?

If we take the mathematical definition, it means a measure of the 'middle' or 'expected' value of a data set. The question then follows...what is the data set?

If your data set is your friends and peers who come from a certain background, with a certain level of attractiveness and have a certain range of life, travel, love etc experiences...and you are mathematically 'average' among them...well you can be sure you would be 'extraordinary' if you change your data set.

Go to Japan, for example. Or sub saharan Africa. You're sure as hell not 'average' there.

Going back to the OP...I'm pretty sure the average person doesn't train for a 10k. It puts the OP above the 'average' member of the population who hasn't summoned up that motivation and puts her into a league of people who have. In this new league, sure, maybe her achievement is 'average' but why belittle yourself in such a way after working so hard to achieve something that your 'average' punter hasn't achieved anyway?

As others have pointed out - this is completely a confidence thing. 'Average' is a state of mind. It's got nothing to do with how others perceive you, it's about how you perceive yourself.

For example, I could look at myself in two different ways:

1. I'm not an absolute stunner, nor am I unattractive...therefore I'm a mid twenties woman of average appearance. A little below average height in general, but then a lot of Irish girls are short, so lets say I'm of 'average' height; have 'average' facial features, am on an 'average' wage, have an 'average' amount of friends and have travelled an 'average' amount. My opinions are rarely sensational or offensive, nor are they dull and boring, therefore they are 'average'.

2. I'm an attractive girl who knows what to wear/not wear to accentuate her features. I'm short and revel in it - I'm usually the shortest in a room (without heels) and am usually noticed for this. I have nice features - green eyes, sallow skin, really thick hair and have a pretty awesome job. My friends are like family and my opinions are not always right, but almost always educated and well articulated.

F%&k the mathematics, what would be the benefit of thinking about myself as girl no.1?

I'd be miserable all the time, constantly telling myself there was 'nothing special' or noticeable about me...people would pick up on this lack of confidence, allowing me to become 'invisible' socially, I'd become even more self-loathing and probably not bother my a$$ to work on the few 'average' qualities I have...

What a horrible existence! Why would you do that to yourself?

But average isn't bad!! I don't see the problem with being average! Most people are, by definition!

That's not how averages work.

100 people take a test and 99 of them get perfect marks but one person ****s up and gets 0. The average score is 99% which 99 people got higher than and only one person fell below.

However when talking about populations most people would fall into the average bracket.

SugarHigh wrote: »
    That's not how averages work.

100 people take a test and 99 of them get perfect marks but one person ****s up and gets 0. The average score is 99% which 99 people got higher than and only one person fell below.

However when talking about populations most people would fall into the average bracket.

I don't see how you're disagreeing with Iguana?
    The average depends on the group that are being compared.
    The majority of the group will usually fall around the 'average'.
    Your example said the same thing?

Kooli wrote: »
    I don't see how you're disagreeing with Iguana?
    The average depends on the group that are being compared.
    Your example said the same thing?
    She said most people have to be average for it to be counted as an average which is not true. I gave an example where 99 out 100 people were above average. It just so happens that in populations a lot of the time the average works out to be the most common.
    Say 50 people got 0% and then 50 people got 100% then nobody would be close to the average of 50%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

She said most people have to be average for it to be counted as an average which is not true. I gave an example where 99 out 100 people were above average. It just so happens that in populations a lot of the time the average works out to be the most common.

That's kind of a statistical/mathematical way to look at it though. So what we are really talking about is the "mode" when we are talking about average in terms of people. What occurs most frequently.

But for the purposes of conversation, average is in regular use?

I supose I've described people as average looking before. It can mean a positive or negative thing I suppose, like the girl with green eyes, or the girl with a huge nose! It might mean you don't have any distinguishing features, but not that you are average in all other ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

major cliche here but beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.
    One persons average can be another persons beautiful and vice versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

LilMsss wrote: »
    I don't consider myself to be average looks-wise - not to say that I think I'm a stunner either, but can definitely turn heads when needs be - tall, blonde etc, so could never really fade into the background even if I wanted to.

I think it's all about confidence. I've met people over the years (men and women) who at first glance I'd think were average, or even a little unattractive but something about them or their personality will suddenly draw people to them and their perceived status (at least to me) is raised because of it.

While there's nothing wrong with average, I think very few people are actually 'average'. We all have unique aspects to our looks, personality, the way we carry ourselves etc that make us stand out from the crowd.
    That was just SO well said!
    please tell me you are a nerd? :)

I think too many people have a fear of being average because when they were kids it was made out that everyone got to be an astronaut if they wanted or how Americans tell their kid that one they'll be president.

• Advertisement

Say 50 people got 0% and then 50 people got 100% then nobody would be close to the average of 50%.

Yes but an occurence of 50 people getting 0% and 50 getting 100% would so rarely happen that it's just a hypothetical. What's most likely is that half people will get close to the average mark, whatever that is, and the rest will fall further on either extreme.

For most things, we're talking about the bell curve. Most people are average by definition.

Sorry to harp on about it, but I really don't think 'average' is a dirty word, or we all have to convince ourselves we're above average. Most of us aren't, but we're just fine the way we are!!

Sangre wrote: »
    It can be alright. IME people who are actually different and unconventional want to be average a lot of the time. Because around the average/mainstream/"normal" is much easier as a general rule in life. People with traits considered worthy by a society, great beauty, artists, great intellect can get away with being outliers more. Indeed with great artists we almost expect them to be kooky. That along with their art is what the do for a society. We can live vicariously through them in some ways.

Yes we all have limitations, but what does surprise me is how with enough will how much people can break through those limitations. Like Emme and her 10k. She did it even without the runners build. Look at eddie izzard and him running something daft like 40 marathons in 40 days. Eddie,bless him is not exactly a stripped down racing snake in build. :) But he did it. Or the woman who was terminally ill with very painful cancer who cycled arund the world for charity. Its amazing how much the will to do it can overcome the obvious physical limitations.
    iguana wrote:
    My head hurts :D

I love the illusory superiority going on this thread:D

Sorry to break it to you but it's pretty likely you're average. People view there own lives as being somehow different to everyone else's because theirs is the only one they see from the first person.

Sorry to break it to you but it's pretty likely you feel yourself to be below average, and are trying to rationalise your perceived deficiencies by imagining (whose pic have you seen out of people who have posted on here?) other people to be "illusory superior". Transference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭LilMsss

MoodeRator wrote: »
    That was just SO well said!
    please tell me you are a nerd? :)

Yeah I suppose I am a bit of a nerd ... or an over-thinker at best :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

LilMsss wrote: »
    Yeah I suppose I am a bit of a nerd ... or an over-thinker at best :)
    That'll do for me!!!

major cliche here but beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.
    One persons average can be another persons beautiful and vice versa.

Yes, someone can be viewed as extremely good looking or ugly depending on how you feel about their personality!!

• Advertisement

seenitall wrote: »
    Sorry to break it to you but it's pretty likely you feel yourself to be below average, and are trying to rationalise your perceived deficiencies by imagining (whose pic have you seen out of people who have posted on here?) other people to be "illusory superior". Transference.
    I said it's pretty likely they are average because that's the group most fall into but if you want to believe everyone on boards manages to be above average then that's up to you.

Make a thread saying "do you think you are funnier then average" and most people reply yes, do the same for how nice or how intelligent you are and most people will rate themselves above average. It's just not likely to be the case.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I think this thread is meandering off topic, can we try get it back on topic thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Emme wrote: »
    I consider myself to be average in appearance. I'm 5'5, size 10-12, blue eyes, pale skin, mousy blonde hair with highlights...

Does anybody else consider themselves to be very average and if so, how do you feel about it?
    Substitute the hair colour with black and the eye colour with grey-blue and you've got me. :)
    I think, bare-faced, I'm middling looking - not stunningly beautiful but not unattractive. And I'm happy with how I look - don't care that I'm not amazing looking. I like how I can transform myself with make-up, and more importantly, I'm lucky enough to have a gregarious personality and confidence.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

I'm average in every way possible
    I am
    Average height
    Average weight
    Average appearance (both with and without make up)

I'm also average at all my hobbies. I've tried everything but never excelled at anything, you name it I've done it (practically).

That said there are some things that people have said I'm good at.
    Apparently I'm a good friend, which to be quite honest is all I'm looking for. I will happily be average at everything else if I'm better than average at the important things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Daisies wrote: »
    Apparently I'm a good friend, which to be quite honest is all I'm looking for. I will happily be average at everything else if I'm better than average at the important things

Your a great friend!

Im average and quite happy with it :D I cant change myself nor do I want to :)

• Advertisement

and the friend thing IME is not that average.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Your a great friend!

Im average and quite happy with it :D I cant change myself nor do I want to :)
    and the friend thing IME is not that average.

Ah shucks you guys :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Ah shucks you guys :o

Its true :D

But Im the same as you, average at sports, all hoppies I was either useless at or just average! I never excelled in anything!

I'm still waiting for my calling :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Haha found this there on Youtube. No obviously this is a joke so don't go hopping mad on it

I said it's pretty likely they are average because that's the group most fall into but if you want to believe everyone on boards manages to be above average then that's up to you.

Make a thread saying "do you think you are funnier then average" and most people reply yes, do the same for how nice or how intelligent you are and most people will rate themselves above average. It's just not likely to be the case.

I wasn't talking about "everyone on boards", and more to the point, nor were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Haha found this there on Youtube. No obviously this is a joke so don't go hopping mad on it

Thats mad I was just watching that yesterday on Jezebel.Two minutes of my life I want back. She really annoys me the one who does those video's,there not that funny at all.

I agree with the general consensus that there really is no 'average',looks wise. I think everyone has something that makes them different and unique.

However,I tend not to be that attracted to people who just have an 'average' outlook on life, and are happy with the status quo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

My appearance is somewhat odd/different/shocking to a few, due to this my 'appeal' is very polarized. I've large stretched lobes and a stretched labret amongst other things so usually turn heads, but almost always for the wrong reasons :) I'm ok with this though, my choice and all that stuff...

More importantly (to me anyway) is that I am happy with myself and my appearance, if you are happy and confident I think it shows. Give me an "average" woman who is content and happy with herself any day over some stunner who is always needing reassurance about herself.

Hope this makes sense, quite tired and typing as I go.

Will wrote: »
    My appearance is somewhat odd/different/shocking to a few, due to this my 'appeal' is very polarized. I've large stretched lobes and a stretched labret amongst other things so usually turn heads, but almost always for the wrong reasons :) I'm ok with this though, my choice and all that stuff...

More importantly (to me anyway) is that I am happy with myself and my appearance, if you are happy and confident I think it shows. Give me an "average" woman who is content and happy with herself any day over some stunner who is always needing reassurance about herself.

Hope this makes sense, quite tired and typing as I go.

Just back to the op's question,Will, do you find you not being average a good or bad thing in general when it comes to how people treat you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

panda100 wrote: »
    Just back to the op's question,Will, do you find you not being average a good or bad thing in general when it comes to how people treat you?

More often than not it's negative as some people have these pre-conceived ideas about me that I'm some sort of hooligan and try to avoid me :o

Sometimes it works out, other's it doesn't - such is life. I've found work environment can be a stumbling block, so I've had to work extra hard at interviews in the past to show that I'm not some waster.

Thinking about it more it is actually quite beneficial and positive, only because I am capable of showing people that I'm not some scummer and actually an ok guy.

tl;dr - it's good if the person takes the time to get to know me, bad if they just go on appearances.

edit - I will post a more coherent answer tomorrow, way too tired right now.

Will wrote: »
    More often than not it's negative as some people have these pre-conceived ideas about me that I'm some sort of hooligan and try to avoid me :o

Sometimes it works out, other's it doesn't - such is life. I've found work environment can be a stumbling block, so I've had to work extra hard at interviews in the past to show that I'm not some waster.

Thinking about it more it is actually quite beneficial and positive, only because I am capable of showing people that I'm not some scummer and actually an ok guy.

tl;dr - it's good if the person takes the time to get to know me, bad if they just go on appearances.

Yeah,I think maybe this is what the op was getting at.
    Those who have extra-ordinary looks usually have to work a bit harder to change peoples pre-conceived notions of themselves.
    If someone is 'average' looking,normal height,normal hair etc then you won't really judge them on their apperance.
    If someone is really attractive then they have to work harder to prove their not horrid,stupid or have no personality.
    If someone has tats and piercings then they have to work harder to show their not dodgy or wierd.

I think height plays a big factor in this.
    I notice that I get treated slightly different from my friends both socially and professionally because I am well over average height. Almost every time in the hospital, patients completely overlook much more senior colleagues because they are convinced I am in charge. I find I get taken a lot more seriously because I am tall compared to some of my smaller colleagues.
    Any other tall girls noticed this?

• Advertisement
Advertisement