Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridgewater Inn - Sallins

Options
  • 13-07-2010 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭

A nice pub with quite a few decent food reviews behind it. However I think it has gone downhill over the last 12 months. The food is nowhere near as good as it used to be. The introduction of cheap frozen chips in place of the homemade wedges and dips was an alarm bell ringing. I've also noticed that the portions have become smaller, while the prices are just about remaining the same.

It wasn't that long ago that Paulo Tullio was reviewing the place. Nowadays you'd be lucky if the Kildare Post reviewed it! Another problem is the "gap" between the Bar and the Lounge. When I say gap I mean the difference in crowds as in the "type" of person. Foodies go to the lounge while drinkers go to the bar. But there are still a number of drinkers at the "bar" in the lounge and it probably wouldn't be unfair to say that they are just barely tolerated and excempt from any promotions that take place.

An example would be the recent World Cup. Pints where €3 during the pubs chosen team games, Spain. Happy days says you as Spain reached the final. But it quickly became apparent that this promotion was confined to the bar and only filtered through to the lounge after "drinkers" as opposed to "foodies" complained about it. The free "finger food" that was meant to accompany this particular promotion was again more concentrated on the bar and not the lounge. (which in itself is confused with a restaurant anyway before 9pm)

You may be thinking that I have a grievance and that the pub has the right to discern the location of its promotions. Normally you'd be right. But both its mobile text service and facebook page openly promoted all sorts of things for the world cup final and did not stipulate that it would be concentrated on one particular part of the premises. But it turned out this way. While €3 pints were available in the lounge with free shots to people wearing spanish or dutch colours, the free finger food was very different for those in the lounge as opposed to those in the bar. (in fact it was insulting to some, considering what was being handed out elsewhere on the premises.) Furthermore the promised spot prizes never materialised in the lounge and the whole so called world cup final party seemed very much concentrated on the bar. For those loyal customers in the lounge, it was a big let down.

Complaints garnered being ignored, laughed at and ultimately being removed from the establishments facebook page. So I ask you this, is it decent service from what is widely known as a great pub? Personally I felt sorry for some people who would be long time regulars and great spenders during the leaner parts of the week. Has anyone else a recent experience of this pub that was negative and have you noticed that its starting to become a bit of a clique?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭r0nanf

Hi DW - I'm surprised to hear you've had bad experiences there, I've never had anything but good ones!

Regarding the promotions I think that it is understandable as the lounge is set up as a food-oriented pub space, so they're probably not looking to syndicate the free shots and soccer jerseys in there - I don't think it's a big deal really, just go into the bar next time!

Also I couldn't find their facebook page - do you have a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

I would have to disagree with DW's assessment of the pub generally. I am a regular in there and would also eat there perhaps once every eight weeks or so. The change in menu was a welcome one in my mind and I actually like the chips (I was never a wedges fan!). I do take your point though about the prices...

I wasn't in for most of the World Cup, but when I was I certainly didn't experience any problems. As rOnanf says, if you really want a cheap shot, go into the bar...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Ive always been very fond of the Bridgewater. One of the few pubs left around where you can go in and have a quiet chat in a relaxed atmosphere without having to shout over the music and the massive crowds.

Advertisement