Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BGP's Football Fun.

Options
  • 14-07-2010 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hey everyone!

I'm new here on Boards, and I'm also new to betting. I'm going to start betting casually from now on, nothing big. I'll probably start with a small pot, and see what I can do with it. I'll probably treat myself to new boots or something with my winnings (here's hoping :P).

I'll be betting pretty much exclusively on football, though I may delve into other sports on the odd occasion, or on trusted advice once I get to know a few of you.

I'll be betting on most of the major European leagues, and international football. I might bet on some League of Ireland, but to be honest, I don't know much about Irish football. Though I guess there's no better time to learn. I would be willing to bet on anything football related really.

I'll try and post my reasoning and analysis for my bets as much as I can. It's up to you if you want to back some of my "tips", though I wouldn't recommend it until you (and I) find out how good I am.

So, that's it in a nutshell. I won't start betting until next week at least, as I have to get a few things sorted first.

I'm looking forward to starting my betting career, and hopefully making some new friends in the process.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Best of luck with this BGP, I look forward to reading you analysis and seeing your bets. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Good luck with it, BGP. Always nice to see new posters around.:D

Now to go and dig up my failure of a log..:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 BGP

x PyRo wrote: »
    Best of luck with this BGP, I look forward to reading you analysis and seeing your bets. :)

Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing what I come up with myself.
    baz2009 wrote: »
    Good luck with it, BGP. Always nice to see new posters around.:D

Now to go and dig up my failure of a log..:P

Thanks mate! I'll take a look through your log there in a minute. Is it a football log?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭coughlan08

just seen your log there now,,,,your a cork man like myself so you should have no problems fitting in here....:pac:

i too cant wait for the premier league especially,,but will prob have no bets in my log for the first 3 or 4 weeks as it can be very unpredictable,

im not sure what kind of stake sizes you will be using but as i use biggish stakes i have to stick to a strict betting strategie,i.e not betting the first 3 or 4 weeks into the new season as it can be very unpredictable.
    when i first started my log it was very different to what it is now,my stakes have gotten a lot bigger but the amount of bets has decreased greatly,,

i feel by setting up a log helps greatly in controling your bets,also dont be afraid to ask for advice on any particluar bet,were very friendly.;)
    but anyway best of luck with the log,
    coughlan

coughlan08 wrote: »
    just seen your log there now,,,,your a cork man like myself so you should have no problems fitting in here....:pac:

i too cant wait for the premier league especially,,but will prob have no bets in my log for the first 3 or 4 weeks as it can be very unpredictable,

im not sure what kind of stake sizes you will be using but as i use biggish stakes i have to stick to a strict betting strategie,i.e not betting the first 3 or 4 weeks into the new season as it can be very unpredictable.
    when i first started my log it was very different to what it is now,my stakes have gotten a lot bigger but the amount of bets has decreased greatly,,

i feel by setting up a log helps greatly in controling your bets,also dont be afraid to ask for advice on any particluar bet,were very friendly.;)
    coughlan

Cheers mate! I was actually born in Dublin, but I've been brought up in Cork, so I'd consider myself a Cork man.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. My stakes will be very small to start off with. I'll be starting with a tenner or so, and will hopefully increase that steadily over time.

However, I'm not doing this to try and make a massive profit or anything. It's just for the fun, and any profits will be used to treat myself.

Haha, I will! I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions when it comes down to it.

I've just been having a snoop around the Paddy Power website to get the feel of things. I know nearly everyone says that they won't win you anything in the long run, but I love accumulators. I find them quite fun to try different combinations, and it looks like easy money. But, of course, it's not.

Would you recommend betting on friendlies? Or do you think they are too unpredictable in terms of effort, and whether a strong team will be played?

• Advertisement

BGP wrote: »
    Cheers mate!

Would you recommend betting on friendlies? Or do you think they are too unpredictable in terms of effort, and whether a strong team will be played?

no problem...well im assuming you mean soccer friendlys,and if so,no....
    yes they can be very unpredictable most of the time.
    well its easy most of the time to find out the starting 11 in nearly every match so you will soon find out whether they are playing a strong team or not...
    personally i remember pre world cup friendly matchs seemed to be predictable enough for me anyway,,,the only bet i had that was a friendly was chile vs n ireland ht/ft 200 @8/11,, i remember as at the time it was 1 of my biggest stakes,they went 1-0 up after about 34mins i think and went on to win in full time 1-0 so was happy with that.

but in general i wouldnt advise you to bet on friendlys
    hope that helps some bit..

no problem...well im assuming you mean soccer friendlies?

but in general i wouldnt advise you to bet on friendlys
    hope that helps some bit..

Thanks for the advice!

Yeah, I'm talking about pre-season club friendlies in particular. For example, I'm just after seeing Everton vs. Melbourne Heart on Paddy Power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

coughlan

Take your point about unpredictability, but I'd pinpoint the opening weeks as a solid chance to get some overpriced teams in.

Just a personal opinion:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Welcome to the forums lad.

A log is a very good idea, as Coughlan says, it's introduces dicipline into your betting if you do keep an honest record of them.

Premier League opening weeks can be unpredictable but offer the chance to get some overpriced teams as SirDelBoy18 said.

Good luck with the bets anyway, and I'll keep an eye on this thread. :)

i too take your point, but, unpredictability definately outweighs overpriced teams.thats why i will wait for those weeks to pass,anyway soccer aint the only thing i bet on so its not like i will be "bored"...

although the opening games of the premierleague that catchs my eye is the,
    Wigan Athletic v Blackpool
    but then again i would be wanting more than 4/5 or 5/6 that is on offer.
    now if this price was on offer 4 or 5 weeks into the league with the same 2 teams,it would be alot easier to establish value,i.e this price could/might not represent value...

some teams maybe are overpriced in the first few week but its hard to spot them as you have nothing to go by,and really you cant take into account the friendlys as the opposition are more often than not below premierleague standard..
    personally if your serious about making money i wouldnt be betting the first few weeks,
    just my thoughts,take no notice..;)

• Advertisement

Alright, so now that I'm all setup properly and everything, I'm going to get things started.

I'm going to start with a bank of €5 as that's all I have in my Paypal account. My first aim is to get around €30 profit.

I probably should wait until the new season starts to bet, but I really want to start betting... :pac:

I'll post my first bet soon...

Opening Bank: €5.

1) TNS vs. Bohemians.

[Will update later when I can - gotta rush now]

€3 on Bohemians to qualify.
    €2 on Bohemians draw no bet.

Stake: €5. Returns: €6.57

I'm putting my whole bank on the line here, but I think it's a very low-risk bet, and I'm just trying to built my bank up slowly to allow myself some breathing space.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭ForzaKid

BGP wrote: »
    Opening Bank: €5.

1) TNS vs. Bohemians.

[Will update later when I can - gotta rush now]

€3 on Bohemians to qualify.
    €2 on Bohemians draw no bet.

Stake: €5. Returns: €6.57

I'm putting my whole bank on the line here, but I think it's a very low-risk bet, and I'm just trying to built my bank up slowly to allow myself some breathing space.
    OUCH!

ForzaKid wrote: »
    OUCH!

Stop! I didn't see that coming at all.

I'm taking a break from gambling for awhile anyway.

Advertisement