Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to up my game but am stuck and frustrated, advice?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

There are several things easier to do with a pad, as your reactions are marginally quicker. Vega's Cosmic heel into scarlet terror for instance....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

There are several things easier to do with a pad, as your reactions are marginally quicker. Vega's Cosmic heel into scarlet terror for instance....

Agreed, I was faster at a lot of things on pad due to the d-pad. But this is just me as someone who used a pad since I was 8 and only started on stick 7 months ago or so.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Sisko wrote: »
    Nothing is impossible to do on pad, but a lot of things are easier to do on stick.

You could probably play street fighter with a guitar hero....guitar... with enough practice. Just making it harder for yourself and longer before you get to the stage where you can pull off what you want then it would on an more easy to use control device.

You'd have to mod it to have another button, and I'm not sure that... oh wait, you weren't being serious were you :(

Shup you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭chris mcmahon

whats this thread about?

i could do anything on a pad that anyone could do on a stick, all it would take is practice. the sticks and the pads have the same button layouts, they are just smaller. the only real difference is that you are using you two thumbs to do all the work instead of your to full hands. having never played an arcade seriously in my life, how would i even be used to using a stick, thats why i have a fightpad, because ive used pads my whole life, i feel more comfortable with 1.

i think tetleys tea bags was asking what the difference is with the madcatz fightpad. the main difference is the d pad, my god, words cannot expain how much more sensative an accurate it is compared to the 360 pads d pad, or analogue stick, u simply need to try it. if you were doing those trials on a regurlar 360 d pad, then fair play and you must have fingers like jack from the nightmare before christmas, but i can promise you with a fightpad it will simply feel better.
    then the buttons are the same layouts as the sticks, so i find that easier for linking tatsus off low forwards etc, and ive never used a sega saturn pad either, it just feels more right. sliding is also possible on this layout too, for eg guys chain combo is easy this way.

• Advertisement

ogiekeaney wrote: »
    so you're telling me you can do

blankas walking electricity:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqdCUOK07Q8

chuns roundhouse legs into forward legs into a combo:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyx-U1RA4Ew

and hondas jab into hhs into hhs :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kKVNXeScOE&feature=related

with a pad...... without using turbo?eek.gif

if you hold the pad differently when doing these, hold it like a mini stick, then robs your fathers brother. practice practice practice, you will be a jedi yet

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Generic_name01

Arah lads Misty wants some tips with juri, not a controller debate. Loving the posts lol but someone should put all this into another thread just so Misty can focus on what he should be reading.

I've only fought you a brief handful of times misty but that was a good bit back. We both share the same prob as in we jump like lunatics. My friend wanted to get good with her and I had a quick go. Dont have much to offer here but the only things I can remember (these are more gimmicks though) with her are...

1= If you get your oppenent in the wall and predict a hit, do a heavy counter move and then an EX dive kick. This will bounce him off the wall and you get a guaranteed ultra 2.

2= Learn what character's moves dont have armour break. Why block and take chip damage when you can counter to make space and smack em with a stored fireball.

Cant remember if this applies to you but DONT do a wake up pinwheel kick ever unless your certain it'll connect. I often bait that out and punish with ultra.

Sorry for the staright forward advice but I'm not the best player meself. I find eventhubs is the best place to go for starter tips and then go to the character thread in shoryuken once you develop your own stuff.

Good luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ogiekeaney

yeah sorry bout hijacking your thread there misty:)

There is no debate, why is it still being talked about? I ended the 'debate' with my post cause its so damn undebatable.:pac:

Now where were we, oh yes .. Misty. Try recording some of your games and uploading them so we can see them and give you tips.

A lot of it is also about reading the other player, getting into his head and knowing what he's gonna do. Your losing a lot cause the guy your fighting knows what your gonna try.

So many juris online follow the same pattern. They all copy each other. Walk/jump backwards and hope you walk/jump forward then do that dive kick move thing shes does, or spam her wheel kick thing. They base their entire game on this. As its hard to block her kick thing on reaction online, a lot of people get hit by it.

Issue is once most people get it with it, they go 'hmmm okay, I guess I watch for this now' yet juris keep trying it. Rather then adjusting themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Its a very simple game really, what you need to know is
    1. How can I get in safe - what space is your character most dangerous from
    2. Whats the most damage I can do - safely ie if a combo is not hitting dont finish with a move with slow recovery, sounds simple but so many people continue a block string but finish with a move that is punishable
    3. How can I get out safe - get good at getting out of trouble quickly

Most of that comes with experience, and plenty with practice. As was said already, get some bnb combos down to the point where you dont even think about doing them, anything that gives more damage than a throw or j.fk c.fk and your on the right track. Play a lot against the lads on this forum, thankfully there is a huge diversity of characters on here, so you will get a lot of match up specific experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

My advice would be to follow model players like Doom.
    How to get good, FAST

1-pick GUILE
    2-keep walking back, sit down now and then, charge charge charge
    3-Sonic boom, for a chip win, or until they come close
    4-If they jump in close, air throw
    5-if they jump far flip kick/ex for flashyness

alternativley if you like lady characters
    1-pick IBUKI
    2-jump back and kunai
    3-repeat till win

and to quote chunkis
    Only time DOOM presses forward is to throw a sonic boom
    ^lol

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

Placebo wrote: »
    How to get good, FAST

alternativley if you like lady characters
    1-pick IBUKI
    2-jump back and kunai
    3-repeat till win

It's not that simple.....

You have to judge the strength and range of the kunai.
    This requires knowledge of at least 3 buttons....
    Also: A random neck breaker slide often does the business when a particularly pesky opponent decides to walk in and attempts to hit me. There's also a flashy version of this move which gives you a lovely 3 hit combo to impress the ladies...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ken B wrote: »
    It's not that simple.....

You have to judge the strength and range of the kunai.
    This requires knowledge of at least 3 buttons....
    Also: A random neck breaker slide often does the business when a particularly pesky opponent decides to walk in and attempts to hit me. There's also a flashy version of this move which gives you a lovely 3 hit combo to impress the ladies...

Oh he knows that he's just getting at me cos I beat him with Ibuki and spent 1 round turtling his face off with kunai :)

Still on the original point- you need to develop a defensive game. if you attack all the time, you're going to get figured out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Arah lads Misty wants some tips with juri, not a controller debate

True, but he needs to be responding to at least let us know that he's still listening and taking the advice.

Where are u misty?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I recommend some online lessons with gootecks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Hey guys, I'm here, just being spending some time over in SRK and watching some videos on youtube. I have being reading and following up anything suggested to me.

Cobel was right for starters, I depend far too much on pokes that don't do enough damage, I started adding in pinwheels ( both normal and ex ) into that routine and my recorder wheel thing is now yellow for the first time in over a week. Of course that isn't going to hack it further down the line so I've being experimenting with the fireball move in training move.

I'm probably going to use her Ultra 1 a lot more. Her Ultra 2, as good as it is, is too easy for me to mess up and sometimes goes right through the opponent while gives them either a free hit or at worse, a free ultra! That and I want to train myself up on mastering the sick combos I've seen that Ultra 1 can do.

I think I should also add I came across another Juri player who was miles ahead of me but is willing to show some of the things Juri is capable of and I added him as a friend on my xbl.

I don't mind the topic turning into a debate about joypads vs sticks. I'm considering getting a stick myself eventually but it might be better off if those posts were put into a another topic to allow discussion on it further.

Finally, I'd welcome the chance to have a lobby and get feedback from it as well. Let me know what time suits but I'm generally available from about 9 most evenings ( except Saturday, I usually go out that night. )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I skimmed most of this since it went a bit tangental, but my top advice would be

(1) Play the guys on this board, online or offline

The quality of play is remarkably good in the playerbase

Secondly, not advice for you, but for all the great players

(2) Be helpful while you're kicking our asses

Some of the guys can be really great to play against as a learning experience, and will pretty much tell you move-by-move what you did wrong, and what might have been a better option.

I played Redman and Dreddy at "Animax's day at the park" and they gave me a lot of useful tips.

I had played Redman before at one of my first casuals and he was doing the same thing then. This is REALLY helpful as a new player.

I think I did marginally better the second time around as well, so I might be improving :D

Some of the guys can be really great to play against as a learning experience, and will pretty much tell you move-by-move what you did wrong, and what might have been a better option.

Unfortunately misty, you came to dublin for an inferno and usually this sort of friendly advice doesn't happen at infernos! Too much tension!

I remember you asked me for advice at inferno but i was buzzing the whole day so i'm not even sure if i gave you an answer :eek:

animaX wrote: »
    Unfortunately misty, you came to dublin for an inferno and usually this sort of friendly advice doesn't happen at infernos! Too much tension!

I remember you asked me for advice at inferno but i was buzzing the whole day so i'm not even sure if i gave you an answer :eek:

Don't worry about it, its just not financially viable for me to go to Dublin just for casuals, I am considering popping up to Limerick next weekend though. ( I've got plans this Saturday. )

Don't worry about it, its just not financially viable for me to go to Dublin just for casuals, I am considering popping up to Limerick next weekend though. ( I've got plans this Saturday. )

Yeah thats a good plan. There are plenty of people there to chat with

• Advertisement

OK, heres a match from this evening where I'm against redman, I just lost but I'm putting this up for my own benefit. ( if you find the hissing sound annoying, let me know and I'll do an audio swap. )

[QUOTE=

[/QUOTE]

when i needed to get better at the bison match, i asked azza for help and we had a load of games and he showed me stuff i didnt know, how to punish moves etc, helped loads. just realised ive never actually thanked him for that
    ehhhhhhhh thanks azza!!!!!!!!

try and get the people who kick your ass to use their mic, and get them talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

im not an expert on that match up or expert period but
    A- you didnt pick guile
    BUT on a more serious note, you are jumping way way too much, even after you knock cammy down you are jumping everywhere, if that was a shoto,

SHORYUKEN, FADC ULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLTTTTTTrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Chunli has lots of combos that start with a jump in FIERCE but i cant do them often because of anti airs. So throw more, instead of jumping in, mix it up, dashin, dash back out, walk in, throw, poke/tick throw. walk in block. etc etc LOOK AT 2:55, bit of zoning going on and cammy throws out a poke and you jump backwards and you keep doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Work on your punishing. In that video Red was using Cammy and there were times when he cannon spiked, missed, and was prone yet all you did was lk lk lk. Work on Juri's combos in training and use then to punish. This is a good start as it means you only need a few openings to balance the game. If you look at the players from our scene once they get an opening you are, at the very least, taking a 3 hit combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

You should definately try make it up, whether its the league or casuals, its pretty much the same. I think none of us main the same character so we'd be able to help ya with make ups etc, Especial Generic_name who toys around with half the roster cos he's greedy :pac:

Hope to see ya there. (And a good turnout :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Generic_name01

Robbknoll wrote: »
    Especial Generic_name who toys around with half the roster cos he's greedy :pac:(And a good turnout :D)

This makes it sound like I know ma shizz! Not the case at all! I'm pretty sure you were in the room Misty when all I did was DP. But yeah definitely come saturday. My game leveled up massively thanks to the casuals... Till I went on holidays and unlearned the whole game. :(

Hope to see you saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Just general tips from our play session.

1. Learn as much about your character as possible. Towards the end you were poking me with cr.mk and buffered pinwheel into them, very nice. Juri's c.hp doesn't seem to be a reliable anti-air, we traded whenever you tried it, cr.mp I think is her best option.

2. Dont always mash out of blockstrings or when you get knocked down, it can be baited and punished

3. Try not to fall into patterns, I noticed whenever you get a knockdown and walk right up to me, you always tried for a throw

4. Learn your characters combo's and work on them in training mode. I often go into training to practice my combos

All the advice I can give right now.

I played a few matches with you last night. From what I played you need better pressure strings. I dont know much about juri but ive seen people use fireballs in her block strings. You would jump in with what looked like rh and then a cr.mk, wasnt very threatening.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Bush80 wrote: »
    I played a few matches with you last night. From what I played you need better pressure strings. I dont know much about juri but ive seen people use fireballs in her block strings. You would jump in with what looked like rh and then a cr.mk, wasnt very threatening.

cr mk is cancellable for Juri, I'd suspect a light fireball could be tagged on to that. I know for a fact a pinwheel can but I'm not sure thats hit confirmable and I suspect it is unsafe.

• Advertisement

cr mk is cancellable for Juri, I'd suspect a light fireball could be tagged on to that. I know for a fact a pinwheel can but I'm not sure thats hit confirmable and I suspect it is unsafe.

Ye thats another thing. All versions of pinwheel can be punished by ex legs so thats a no no against chun li. Pinwheel is pretty crappy from my experience.

Advertisement