Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question re. motor cover

Options
  • 14-07-2010 1:07am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just looking for some info on what exactly a fully comprehensive policy covers. Is there a legal minimum of what it will cover or is it whatever the company wants to cover?

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Comprehensive Insurance is made up of the following elements

Third Party Cover; This is a legal requirement to drive on public roads and provides compensation for injuries or damage you cause while using the vehicle
    Fire & Theft; This covers your vehicle for costs incurred following those incidents
    Accidental Damage; This covers damage to your vehicle (usually including windscreen) following an accident or where someone has damaged your vehicle by other means. It is not dependant on establishing blame and there doesn't have to be any other party involved

The actual levels of benefit and fringe perks such as protected bonus, driving of other cars, open driving etc., vary from insurer to insurer and you should pick the one that suits you best

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

If it's a commercial policy with AXA, it doesn't cover:

Storage of the vehicle while waiting for their assessor to inspect it
    Replacement vehicle while the claim is being sorted (which for me is now since April 26th)
    Customer service
    Fast processing of any claims

Fey! wrote: »
    If it's a commercial policy with AXA, it doesn't cover:

Storage of the vehicle while waiting for their assessor to inspect it
    Replacement vehicle while the claim is being sorted (which for me is now since April 26th)
    Customer service
    Fast processing of any claims
    There's obviously a bigger story there and I'd love to hear it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

There isn't really a hidden story, just the fact that the company are saying they can't process a claim because <value of vehicle> minus <excess> equals <amount outstanding on the policy> (paying by monthly installments), despite the fact that I want the vehicle repaired / replaced and to keep the policy going until the end of the term as it was.

Any idea where I stand?

KamiKazi wrote: »
    There is really a hidden story, just the fact that the company are saying they can't process a claim because <value of vehicle> minus <excess> equals <amount outstanding on the policy> (paying by monthly installments), despite the fact that I want the vehicle repaired / replaced and to keep the policy going until the end of the term as it was.

Any idea where I stand?

You are entitled to have the claim processed as your contract of insurance and your repayment schedule are 2 different contracts. Providing you have not missed any payments they are being unreasonable and you should contact the ombudsman if you are not getting any joy

However, the amounts involved have to be small, given that the net claim equals the balance on your direct debit, yet you want storage from April at approx €30 a day (usual rate) and a courtesy vehicle. You would only be entitled to a maximum of 2 weeks storage and unless a courtesy vehicle is in your policy conditions, you would be out of luck

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I don't want storage or a rental vehicle or anything like that, just the vehicle to be repaired / replaced and the policy to continue as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Kamikaze; I think that oldyouth is mixing up your posts with mine.

Sorry for having caused that.

What you are being told doesn't sound quite right. If the vehicle is repairable and isn't an economic write-off (where the cost of repair is higher than a percentage of the replacement value of the vehicle), then I can't see why they won't sort it out.

The amount left to pay on the policy should not, as far as I am aware, come into play.

Ask for them to put their reasoning in writing and send it to you; something may be getting lost in their explanation.

Advertisement