Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Network Problem

• 14-07-2010 2:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Got a strange problem occuring with my desktop after I moved houses. I am connected to the internet, but none of the webpages load, nor can I connect to the Steam Client. I have a fully working p2p, but none of the webpages want to load. I have been scouring the internet trying to look fro solutions, but none seem to work. I've tried loading up webpages on both firefox and chrome to no avail. I have tried connecting through a hardline ethernet and a wireless network card...no luck. I uninstalled AVG too, but still no luck.
    The weird thing is that other devices on the network are working fine like my phone, laptop, housemates desktop (which is connected through ethernet). It's a Cisco modem that came with UPCs 30M bundle. Another funny thing is that when I first plugged the ethernet cable in, it didn't load, so I plugged it into a different jack, and then back to the original one and it worked fine. I have no idea what wrong, so I have turned to the Boards collective to shed wisdom on this matter! Help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Could be a DNS issue perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mohananv

phlegms wrote: »
    Could be a DNS issue perhaps?

Can you elaborate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

mohananv wrote: »
    Can you elaborate?

Not really, networking stuff is not my thang. Remember I had a similar sounding-ish problem a while back and switched my DNS from the stock eircom one to OpenDns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

I have a fully working p2p, but none of the webpages want to load

If your computer DEFINITELY has Internet access and it's ONLY your web browsers that don't work then make sure that you don't have a Proxy server enabled. Instructions below are for Windows XP (other Windows flavours might vary slightly) :

Start > Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings > Proxy Server

If the Proxy Server setting is already disabled then it'd be useful to see your computer's IP address settings. Open a command prompt screen as follows :

Start > Run > Cmd & <Ok>

At the command prompt (i.e. the black screen) type :

ipconfig /all

This will list out all the information related to your network settings and this info might help further troubleshooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

You might have a static dns set.

Follow the post above and post a screenshot.

• Advertisement

Its not behind any proxy. Here's the ipconfig/all screenshot: http://imgur.com/qe7G0.jpg

There seems quite a few ethernet adapters there and some tunnelers(?). I have two ethernet ports on the motherboard (Asus P5K Deluxe), and depending on which one I plug the cable into, they become active and seem to have a internet connection. They are the Realtek PCI GBE Family Controller and the Marvell Yukon 88E8056 Gigabit Ethernet Controller.

One thing you could do there is at the command prompt type;

"ping www.google.ie" without quotes and see if you get a reply.

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    One thing you could do there is at the command prompt type;

"ping www.google.ie" without quotes and see if you get a reply.

"Ping request could not find host google.ie. Please check the name and try again."

:(

Also, in the IPv4 Properties of the wireless connection, the fields are set to Obtain IP and Obtain DNS automatically.

I take it your ISP is still UPC as those two DNS servers belong to UPC.

Also, in the IPv4 Properties of the wireless connection, the fields are set to Obtain IP and Obtain DNS automatically.

OK that answers my question then. Very strange. So you had no problems prior to moving house?

• Advertisement

My previous ISP was eircom and now in the new place its UPC

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    OK that answers my question then. Very strange. So you had no problems prior to moving house?

I think back in the old place there was this same problem, but was like 3 years ago and I don't remember what I did to sort it out. Might it be a Win7 problem?

"Ping request could not find host google.ie. Please check the name and try again."

Well it's looking like a DNS problem (to start with anyway). See if you can get to your DNS server first. From a command prompt again :

tracert ie-dub01a-dns01.upc.ie

If that doesn't work then try the actual IP address of your DNS server :

tracert 89.101.160.4

If that doesn't work then boot Windows into 'Safe Mode with Networking' and try the above again. Post the results.

Regards
    Brian

tracert ie-dub01a-dns01.upc.ie didn't work and came back to me with a 'Unable to resolve target system name ie-dub01a-dns01.upc.ie.' error.

tracert with the actual ip return the following: http://imgur.com/40YdZ.jpg

The following is what happens in safe mode: http://imgur.com/9uHGt.jpg Websites are loading fine in safe mode as well. Argh!

Hmmm. The fact that DNS doesn't work except in Safe Mode could mean that you've caught a nasty virus. No harm to rule that out first. While in 'Safe Mode with Networking', download, install & run Malwarebytes. To speed up the scanning, do a Disk Cleanup first (Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup) before you run the Malwarebytes scan.

Would you believe I had this exact problem last night on a pc but the problem was Norton. Internet worked fine in safe mode but not in normal mode. Just had to uninstall Norton and it was fine again.

Malwarebytes is the business :)

Ok I ran malwarebytes and it found some malware. I removed that, restarted the pc and still nothing...Once again, torrents are working fine, but websites aren't :(

Ok I ran malwarebytes and it found some malware. I removed that, restarted the pc and still nothing...Once again, torrents are working fine, but websites aren't :(

Okay the fact that Malwarebytes found and removed some stuff doesn't completely rule out a virus problem.

However your situation is starting to sound vaguely familiar, i.e. you're on a UPC connection where some machines work fine and another is having bother. I've seen this before where the problem machine can be attached to any other networks and it works fine on every one but when attached back onto the UPC setup the problems reoccur. At the time the fix was to replace the new Cisco router with the older model UPC router. UPC consistently denied that the problem ever existed but if you search about boards.ie you'll see similar threads where people had bother with the new Cisco routers. I don't know if you can attach the computer to someone else's broadband just to test this theory?

By the way, what OS/version are you running? And could you disable all P2P activity on that machine until you figure out what the problem is? P2P can cause issues on some routers.

It's Win7. I reinstalled the OS there a few mins ago and I can connect to the internet no problem. Very strange! Might've been a virus, who knows. I'm still curious what the problem was...

Good stuff. I think it was probably not just one particular thing that caused the problem but a combination of several.

Just going back over old notes here and it was Windows 7 where I saw that problem before. Uninstalling the Kaspersky Antivirus Suite fixed the problem on that machine too but still it was only the network with the UPC Cisco router that the machine had any issues with. It worked perfectly everywhere else. Go figure :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

didnt ready through all this, so apologies if its been mentioned but have you tried a reset of internet explorer settings? failing that +1 for mbam ..

Advertisement