Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC slow internet browsing but download speeds and speedtest ok

• 14-07-2010 9:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    SO I was hoping to get advice before I hop on the phone to UPC,

I recently moved over to upc 15mb option along with phone and TV about 3 weeks ago (UPC only recently got our area upgraded for BB and phone (Ballybrack, south county Dublin)

I use both a macbook pro with snow leopard and a Dell inspiron 1545 with Windows 7

Both laptops during peak times, websites wont open, ( or are very slow to open) torrent speeds are quite bad, (which I know can always vary) but when I do a speed test it say I have a full 15meg option

When I switch over to my Neibhbours 3meg option on Eircom (bold I know but purely for test purposes) there are no issues, browseing speeds are fine and torrent speds immediately speed up.

at offpeak times torrent speeds are great as are download speeds and web browseing,

Anyone any suggestions, or should I just call UPC?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,449 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

UPC's DNS servers have always been a bit slow and flaky I've found. Try using Google's public DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) or OpenDNS servers and see if that has an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mlmcelligott

Have you the black cisco wireless router? if so then go into the firmware and untick "IP flood detection".

That worked for me

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

Have you the black cisco wireless router? if so then go into the firmware and untick "IP flood detection".

That worked for me

This fixed my problems too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭ChuckNorrisgod

how do I do this ?
    Spear wrote: »
    UPC's DNS servers have always been a bit slow and flaky I've found. Try using Google's public DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) or OpenDNS servers and see if that has an impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've always had difficulty with torrents on UPC. As soon as the torrent starts downloading or seeding, browsing speed collapses, even though the torrents are strong.

If you stop torrenting, does your speed return?

Maybe UPC are traffic shaping?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

no, regardless of whether torrents are active or not the internet speeds are crap, im gonna try the other two things and see how I get on,
    I assume I just type in the ip address of the router and change the settings?
    does anyone know the router address is it the same as the eircome ones? 192.168.255.255 or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It's probably 192.168.1.1

Its usually 192.168.1.1

if your using windows open command prompt and type "ipconfig". the default gateway is your router address.
    crazyderk wrote: »
    no, regardless of whether torrents are active or not the internet speeds are crap, im gonna try the other two things and see how I get on,
    I assume I just type in the ip address of the router and change the settings?
    does anyone know the router address is it the same as the eircome ones? 192.168.255.255 or something?

if I stop torrenting the speed returns.

started using utorrent and i can do both now. but flaking sometimes
    seamus wrote: »
    I've always had difficulty with torrents on UPC. As soon as the torrent starts downloading or seeding, browsing speed collapses, even though the torrents are strong.

If you stop torrenting, does your speed return?

Maybe UPC are traffic shaping?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,449 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

how do I do this ?

Right click the network connection, choose properties. Under the IP V4 properties, there's be a section for DNS servers at the bottom. You can set them in there.

For the IP Flood detection, access the cable modem on 192.168.1.1 (normally) and under security, untick the option for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Open up an internet browser page.
    Type 192.168.1.1 into the address bar and press return.
    It'll ask you for a username and password, leave them blank and press ok (or "log on" if you're using Firefox).
    A list will be going across the top of the page saying things like status/advanced/options/etc.
    Click on the one that says Setup.
    This will bring up a list for you on the left of the page.
    Go down to Firewall and click on options just underneat.
    Here you'll see the second box from the bottom will be ticked and it'll say IP Flood detection.
    Untick that box and press apply.

so,
    I tried accessing the modem and its looking for a user name and password and well I don't know it as I wasn't here when it was orginally set up!, is there anyway of resetting it?

so,
    I tried accessing the modem and its looking for a user name and password and well I don't know it as I wasn't here when it was orginally set up!, is there anyway of resetting it?

The first time you access it, it's blank. You can set your own after that.

You might have to call UPC. whoever fitted it might have changed the default login. after all it is upc's property.

If you do a hard reset by holding down the reset button on the back for over 30 seconds it'll reset the password but it could also delete your isp settings too
    so,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

As Spear said, it's blank at first.
    If it has been changed there's a reset button (it says reboot EMTA) on the back of the modem.
    Hold that down for ten seconds and the modem will reboot to factory defaults, and about 20 minutes later your modem will be back up with a new network and the admin username and password back to blank again.

so reset the modem and the speed is sorted!, however the username and password still isn't working! I suppose its not to important now that the initial issue is fixed! but I'd still like to know it.

Tried the blank username and password and it didn't work and tried using my ssid and password and that didn't work either.
    called upc and they didn't have a clue and fobbed me off!

anyone any last suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

try this..
    username="admin"
    password="password"

without the quotes obviously.

try this..
    username="admin"
    password="password"

without the quotes obviously.

nope didnt work!

Karmafaerie sorted this out for me. but I didnt have the ip food detection ticked. I have the firewall thing ticked. so I unticked it.

This is where you want to be.
    Don't put anything into where it says "New Password" or "Current Passsword".
    Just ignore that.

There should be a heading list going across the top of the page.
    It'll say things like Status/Signal/Provisioning/etc.
    Click on where it says "Setup".
    This will bring up a list for you on the left.
    You then go down to where it says "Firewall Settings" and click on "Options" underneat.

This will bring you to a page with a list of Firewall options.
    Second from the bottom will say "IP flood Detection".
    If that box is ticked, untick it, and then click apply underneat.

That's all you have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭sailorfoley

Spear wrote: »

I was having problems with UPC DNS servers over the last few nights. Once i moved to googles DNS servers i have not had any problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭Gian-Pa

many problems today as well with UPC 30 mb/s

this is the result with namebench:

89.101.160.5 SYS-89.101.160.5 ie-dub01a-dns02.upc.ie
    Avg (ms): 33812.73
    Min: 262.6
    TO: 10

* A backup DNS server for this system.
    * 83 queries to this host failed
    * Failed 7 tests, last: static.ak.fbcdn.net.: static.ak.fbcdn.net.: Timeout

89.101.160.4 SYS-89.101.160.4 ie-dub01a-dns01.upc.ie
    Avg (ms): 43394.17
    Min: 33750.7
    TO: 10

* The current preferred DNS server.
    * 100 queries to this host failed
    * Failed 7 tests, last: www.google.com.: www.google.com.: Timeout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I've been having this problem for the last couple of weeks. Changed my DNS settings to Spears suggestion earlier today and everything seems fine now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

changed the dns addresses and it made a big difference, still slow downloads though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

I have a similar problem, my downloads (torrents and web downloads) are perfect (1.5 mbs avg) however I am consistantly getting page cannot be found, would the DNS fix help this or is something else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Just an FYI, I'm finding that the Open DNS servers "seem" faster than the Google ones.
    I've not done any measured tests though.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭MGLman

Not sure if anyone is still having this problem. But mine is not sorted out by following the threat.

IP flood dection was already unticked and I chaged the DNS to suggested one and still with no luck.

I have this black CISCO router and UPC. Borwsing is frequently interrupted: once per minute. Once it is ok it is quite quick though. But it takes its time.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

Make sure no one is running torrent on the network too... this can severely affect the network performance. If you want to run torrent at the same time limit the number of sockets the torrent client is allowed to have open.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

im getting this the past week or so, pretty annoying. youtube is either quite slow or downright unusable.
    general browsing can be hit and miss also.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭MGLman

Dowload is more than fine, just the browsing is pain. Any suggestions? I have changed the DNS to somthing like this 208.67.220.220, 208.67.222.222 and I do not see difference.

PS: this issue still persistes even when i am not using torrent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭Gian-Pa

You can try this Win/Mac app to benchmark the best DNS for you:
    http://code.google.com/p/namebench/

This are mine:

Advertisement