Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 month lease leaving earlier

Options
  • 14-07-2010 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi,

I would like to seek advice from you guys out there.

I am on a 12 month lease with a landlord and i would like to leave the place for several reasons in my 11th month.

The place is a complex with approx. 36 apartments. Due to quick building and not very good maintenance (Agency does almost nothing) this place is very noisy and stressful for me (make it hard to relax). I had mentioned that to my landlord a couple of times.

I have found something new and i would like to send the termination writing but i don´t wanna loose my deposit. Is there any way to solve this? Can my landlord keep it? My contract does not have any clause stating that.

Thanks for you help in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Your landlord will probably keep the deposit.

Strictly speaking, he's supposed to return it and instead sue you for the remaining rent, but since that would come to the same financial result plus time and stress, he'll probably just try to keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Having served 11 months you may as well go one more if you can bear it. I know you've founds somewhere else but there are plenty of places out there.

If you leave early the LL can retain the deposit. He may not, so if you're dead set on leaving yo can try and approach him and see how he reacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭boardfriek

Offcourse one more month would not be the big pain, but the new landlords usually don´t have the patience. So you are screwed one or the other way. There is no such thing as having a smooth transition looks like.

Advertisement