Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is your first prenatal test? and what are they?

• 14-07-2010 9:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi everybody, I'm new here. Just have a few questions. I made appointment with Rotunda, but haven't received the date for my first visit (the nurse said the letter will be arrived within 2 weeks). My GP said he presume it will must be after my 12 weeks as they are very busy. I'm in my 7th week now and thinking if I should go for a private hospital to get my first test done before my 12th week because one of my friends said I have to do a type of test (she call it T21 as she is in France and she doesn't speak English, I guess it's Down's Syndrome coz it involves blood test) within my first 12 weeks.

Can anyone tell me when was your first prenatal and what is it called, like only B scan or Nuchal scan with Down's Syndrome? and any advice would be great! Thanks!!!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Lorri_L

Hi Fyan

Are you at high risk for your baby to have downs? If not they won't do any testing for it bar the scan. I was 5 weeks when I contacted OLOL in Drogheda and my appointment was at 18 weeks. Unless you're high risk or had several previous mc they won't bring you in before 12 weeks.

As far as I remember the first appointment is all your info, family history, weight/height, urine sample, blood pressure, blood tests and scan.
    The blood tests are to check your blood type and as far as I remember they check for several diseases you can have.

HTH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"T21" effectively refers to the cause of downs syndrome, which is an extra 3rd chromosome on the 21st pair.

During one of your scans the ultrasound can assess whether your baby is at risk of having downs syndrome. If it is, they will usually perform an amniocentesis.

Amniocentesis is a routine procedure outside of Ireland for detecting feotal abnormalities, but we're less eager to perform them here for whatever reason - they'll usually only be performed if a scan identifies possible abnormalities.

Your French friend is probably used to this test being carried out over there, but it likely won't be done for you unless you insist or unless a problem is found.

Amniocentesis carries a 0.5% risk of miscarriage, though that figure is disputed because it comes from research done 40 years ago, and they suggest that it's far less likely nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Amniocentesis is not the only way any more there is a blood test which can be done as some of the delvopding fetuses dna is in the mother's blood stream. Alas it is not a routine test over here as it is in other countrys.

I suggest you speak to your gp and that you get in touch with the hopital and ask what thier policy is on testing and if they can't look for a referal to somewhere which will preform it for you privately.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Fyan - I take it you are going public with combined care?
    Talk to your gp about any worries that you have and if you need piece of mind you can book a private scan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Fyan

Thanks for all your help, I learnt a lot!

I had spotting blood in dark color and I always feel cramp, I'm worried about it although my GP said it's not abnormal unless I have heavy bleeding and pain.

Did anybody have the similar spotting and cramp things? I might book a scan in a private hospital before the very late check in Rotunda, so curious......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I did this time because I am showing and had to tell people.
    The private scanning places can only do a dating or a nuchal scan for you at this stage and it costs about 150 euro.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    The private scanning places can only do a dating or a nuchal scan for you at this stage and it costs about 150 euro.

Thanks for this information! I'm going to do nuchal then, 150 Euro is acceptable, hehe :p

Moonbeam wrote: »

Hi Moonbeam, where did you do the private scanning? I rang the private doctor and I was told that the risk cannot be checked out until the 11th week but I'm only 7 weeks, and also I will be charged for 250 euro. Can you tell me when and where you did your first nuchal scan? Thanks!!!

I didn't get a nuchal scan as I am not in a risk category.
    I had forgotten that you were only 7 weeks.
    http://www.ultrasounddimensions.ie/ is where I got the early pregnancy scan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭AmcD

The first antenatal visit is usually done in and around 15-20 weeks in the maternity hospital. Blood pressure and urine are checked. Booking bloods are done- they check for Blood group, HIV, Hepatitis B, syphilis, rubella status, chickenpox status and full blood count. A booking scan is also done at approximately 18-20 weeks. This scan checks for foetal anomalies/problems and checks dates. Ultrasound cannot detect all antenatal problems.

The nuchal transluceny scan is done between 11 and 14 weeks. It is a matter of choice, not medical necessity and is not done routinely in the public system in Ireland. If a woman wants to estimate her risk of having a child with Down's syndrome she can go privately e.g. at the private ultrasound place mentioned by another poster, or to the RCSI unit in the Rotunda. The scan is done in conjunction with blood tests to estimate the risk. It will probably cost €250. It is aimed at women over age 35 years and those who have had a child with Down's syndrome. The test result comes back as a statistic e.g. "the risk is 1:350", not as a "yes or no" answer. Before booking a test it is important to know how you would handle a result which suggested that your baby had a high chance of having Down's syndrome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭emmiou

The blood tests in conjuction with the ultrasound scan modified by your age etc give the most accurate result - I had this done at the RCSI http://www.rcsiwomenshealth.com/documents/fts.pdf
    Non-invasive genetic testing of maternal blood for markers of Downs and other chromosomal syndromes is still at the validation stages in the UK - although it is in use for prenatal sexing (for sex linked disorders only) and rhesus status of the foetus when clinically warranted.

Advertisement