Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty shoes

Options
  • 14-07-2010 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I bought some quite expensive (for me anyway) shoes over the weekend. Black shoes for work and after 2 days wear they are already showing signs of wear and tear. Leather scuffed and one area badly scratched.
    I work in an office environment and drive to work so this is very poor form. The shop has signs to say no refuns only credit notes given. I do not want anything else from the shop as this is the only make of mens shoe they do. Can I insist on a refund because they are poor quality or faulty?

I am tired of poor quality products and will not let this go,
    Thanks all advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Consumer Issues

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

work wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I bought some quite expensive (for me anyway) shoes over the weekend. Black shoes for work and after 2 days wear they are already showing signs of wear and tear. Leather scuffed and one area badly scratched.
    I work in an office environment and drive to work so this is very poor form. The shop has signs to say no refuns only credit notes given. I do not want anything else from the shop as this is the only make of mens shoe they do. Can I insist on a refund because they are poor quality or faulty?

I am tired of poor quality products and will not let this go,
    Thanks all advice appreciated

When you say badly scratched, what caused the scratch?

Unfortuantly I would imagine you are entitled to nothing and will more than likely be offered nothing from the shop.

Scratches and Scuffs comeabout by wear and tear due to the actions of the wearer. You can't expect a shop to take back a pair of shoes that were scratched and scuffed by the buyer.

Leather by it's nature will scuff and scratch if not treated and cared for properly. You can't blame 'faulty' or 'poor quality' for your actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

has signs to say no refuns only credit notes given

That would be for "Change of mind" and not if goods are faulty or not fit for purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

There is stuff you can get for covering scratches and scuff marks in shoes, its availible in small cans for about €3.

Its called shoe polish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

As the others have said, scratches are unlikely to be caused by poor workmanship. Ultimately, some physical contact must have occurred on the area to scratch it.

I returned a pair of expensive shoes that developed holes on each sole in the exact same position after about 6 weeks. They cost a lot and that wasn't up to standard. But the scratches on them I caused myself.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If the shoes are faulty, then the credit note thing doesnt apply, youd be entitled to repair/refund/replacement. But how did they get scratched? You had to do it to them somehow yourself, they didnt get scratched under your bed. Is it that they mark particularly easily or something?

Expensive leather does sometimes mark more easily, and requires more care (and shoe polish!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Hi all,
    I work in an office environment and drive to work so this is very poor form.

My guess is the shoes are rubbing off each other, or side of pedal.

For scuffs / scratches there has to be another item causing this and as such it would not be regarded as a fault with the shoe itself as being made from leather or other fabric type material, it will scratch / scuff if it comes in contact with some abrasive item.

Many people who want to keep good shoes in good condition use flat driving shoes whilst driving and then put the good shoes on when getting out of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

There is stuff you can get for covering scratches and scuff marks in shoes, its availible in small cans for about €3.

Its called shoe polish.

Thanks for the advice. I do not think smart answers like the quote above are helpful, first time someone on a forum has actually angered me. To describe the issue in more detail. The shoes are 2 days old were only worn twice and have multiple scratches and scuffs, one where the leather is scratched deeply. I am now wearing leather shoes I own for about 5 years, no such scratches or scuffs. And yes I maintain them with "shoe polish". Surely this can be considered a substandard product.

Sorry Work, maybe you'd prefer it if we just gave you the answe you want; in that case:

Yeah, go ahead, take them to the cleaners, get your money back, compo for time & travel and not forgetting the big one; emotional stress for having to read smart answers on an internet forum.

The shoes are 2 days old were only worn twice and have multiple scratches and scuffs, one where the leather is scratched deeply.

could you say what actually scratched it deeply ? If your shoe came in contact with something that scratches it .... how can that be the fault of the vendor?

In that case I think I will have to go back to VW and see if they will repair the scratch mark on the door of my car that some dozy bint did with a shopping trolley.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Thanks for the advice. I do not think smart answers like the quote above are helpful, first time someone on a forum has actually angered me. To describe the issue in more detail. The shoes are 2 days old were only worn twice and have multiple scratches and scuffs, one where the leather is scratched deeply. I am now wearing leather shoes I own for about 5 years, no such scratches or scuffs. And yes I maintain them with "shoe polish". Surely this can be considered a substandard product.
    Like I said, it depends on the type of leather, some mark easily, some dont. It does not necessarily make the shoes faulty though. If you were sold the shoes as hard wearing, then yes, its not fit for the purpose for which it was sold, and you should return it. But this is a very hard one to call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

I have 2 pairs of Leather shoes both expensive and one pair you have to be very careful as they scratch very easy. But as Oryx said some leather scratches very easily.

The pair I have that scratched I had for a week before the got their first scratches. I put it down to I must have hit something. I bought this quality polish in the US 3 years ago and it is amazing for making scratches disappear. Oh and OP pedals in cars are very good at scratching shoes. And just because you work in an office doesn't mean there aren't obstacles that could scratch them either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Op it depends on where the damage came from. I recently bought a pair of hi-tech boots from a shop in Cork. They looked great on day one. After two weeks there was a lot of wear and tear around the lining between sole and shoe lfabric on the outside. The fabric on the left handside of one shoe facing the other side of shoe had worn badly and become knobbly (if this is right word, like when a wollen jumper starts to shed), where as the other side was perfect, demonstrating that the two hadn't been rubbing off each other. Anyway I think it is just a matter of explaining to them like I did that you used them normally for getting to work etc. It will help if the soles are in good nick and don't have mud or concrete all over them ;)

I got full refund btw which was nice (they didn't have another pair in store which I would have taken, so not sure would the offer of refund in cash still have been there if there was an alternative)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭OrangeDaisy

you really don't have any comeback for scratches on your shoes, shoes don't scratch themselves they must come into contact with something to cause the scratch. Try giving them a polish and see if it takes the scratches away, if they are still as bad as ever after the polishing then it maybe that there is a flaw in the leather, but as leather is a natural material some flaws do occur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

you really don't have any comeback for scratches on your shoes, shoes don't scratch themselves they must come into contact with something to cause the scratch. Try giving them a polish and see if it takes the scratches away, if they are still as bad as ever after the polishing then it maybe that there is a flaw in the leather, but as leather is a natural material some flaws do occur.
    I already suggested shoe polish. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Run_to_da_hills, yes you do, but you could have suggested it in a more helpful manner.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

So the timeline is as follows:

OP buys shoes===>OP wears shoes twice===>shoes have scratches on them

I dont think theres any case for a refund whatsoever. Poor product when it comes to shoes would be poor stitching, or faulty sole or something. Scratching on leather is always gonna be user behaviour.

Advertisement