Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BHAA Irishtown 5k wed 14-07-10

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

I was planning to do it, but got less then 4 hours sleep during the last two nights, so feeling a bit wrecked at the moment. I'll make up my mind about 5 to see if I'm up to it.

Weather is looking good so far though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

its a 3 lap loop of a park beside irishtown track (very fast race), lots of twists and turns. From what i was told last year there were lots of Unsavory, a number of people got hassle during the race.

so if the weather is bad they mightn't be there, so sometimes a positive side to rain. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

The Hammer wrote: »
    its a 3 lap loop of a park beside irishtown track (very fast race), lots of twists and turns. From what i was told last year there were lots of Unsavory, a number of people got hassle during the race.

so if the weather is bad they mightn't be there, so sometimes a positive side to rain. :D[/QUOTE

Its not fast with all the turns but i'd say its short. Be careful of little thugs in the park and flying footballs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Im gona do this. Though i may pull out after a mile or so due to a sore left knee and left glute. I hope this isnt the case though and the pain disappears when im running!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

so if the weather is bad they mightn't be there, so sometimes a positive side to rain. :D

Doesnt look like such a good prospect now. Dont fancy 3 loops of a park. Did a similiar 5k a few weeks ago and I wasnt crazy about the constant slowing down/speeding up every time we hit a turn. And there were lots of turns in that park.
    Cheers for the heads up Hammer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Was planning on doing this too but 3 loops of a park:eek: ....nah think I'll give it a miss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

tunguska wrote: »
    Doesnt look like such a good prospect now. Dont fancy 3 loops of a park. Did a similiar 5k a few weeks ago and I wasnt crazy about the constant slowing down/speeding up every time we hit a turn. And there were lots of turns in that park.
    Cheers for the heads up Hammer
    the problem you will have is that 2/3k into the you you will start to lap the back markers, the turns are not too tight but not sure how clear a run you will get.
    It's not the best race around but i've run worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

Do you want to elaborate on hassle, I can take a slagging/jeering! but things like stone throwing make me see red (wheter I'm the target or not), so don't fancy the trip down if there's gonna be trouble.....is this the o*egene of 5k's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

from what i was told, there was random football aimed at people on the course, people who would wait till you are just beside them and walk out in front of you to upset your rhythm. and random arse slapping.

Im sure these are isolated incidents and the lads in the park are been badly judged ;) they just need to learn to kick the ball straight and not walk in a group across a path where a race is on.

more like cross country then! sure may as well give a try so.
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

No trouble tonight. Had to maneovre around kids and elderly walking on the paths, other than that, not a bad run. Only pain in the ass was the amount of corners and the fact the course was 2.9 miles and not 3.1(5km).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

I'm not a fan of this race. Didn't run it tonight myself as the little dicks in the park are a real turn off. The last time I did it were lapping some people and the abuse the little ****s were throwing their way was awful really really nasty stuff. The organisation of the race itself is good it's just the horrible little bastartds that turn me off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Jnealon

No trouble tonight but the course wasn't great. Apart from all the tight turns it was also 400M short.
    The path leading in to the park was very narrow and this wasn't helped by runners plodding along and not giving way to faster runners

no trouble on the course from the colourful locals....prob. ahould have worn less skimpy lycra tri gear! major let down with the course being few hundred meters short, too many sharp corners for a PB.
    Also many to painfully catch some handlebars sticking through the railings on the narrow path section just outside the track.....not really sure I'll run it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Raighne

It wasn't quite 400m short. Two of us measured it on the Garmin and got it in at 4.71km, so 290m missing. Depending on your pace that could mean anything from around 45 (to the people kicking in around 3:00min/km and faster) to over a minute (for the people kicking slower than 04:00min/km) extra to your time.

Confusing though, I was just gearing up for the final lap when I saw people were finishing and started kicking, luckily managed to catch most of the action but first time I stopped a five k without my lungs falling out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

I believe a missing lap of the track at the start was the cause of the missing 400m last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Jnealon

The garmin is no jones counter, mine clocked 4570Mtrs for the race.
    From talking to others after the race they were under the impression that there was meant to be another lap of the track.
    I would like to think that it was in fact 4710M which would have given me a PB but with all the twists and turns on the course I don't think it was PB material

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Lisapeep

Photos from the race are up here:

http://www.racepix.com/BHAA-DCC-5km/racephotos/356/

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Raighne

Jnealon wrote: »
    The garmin is no jones counter, mine clocked 4570Mtrs for the race.
    From talking to others after the race they were under the impression that there was meant to be another lap of the track.
    I would like to think that it was in fact 4710M which would have given me a PB but with all the twists and turns on the course I don't think it was PB material

Yeah, that's interesting, we have our measurements from two FR 305s. those variations are unusual, though, there was lot of potential for cutting time by running the right cornes, cutting across grass etc, and vice-versa getting stuck on the outside lanes both on the track and in the park but a 140m difference over this distance still sound like a lot.

I'd run the same 24.5km hill route very regular over mountains were satellite reception may be expected to be a bit dodgy, but it always comes in within a few metres. Clocked the Dublin Marathon in 2008 at 42.50 (ideal should have been 42.16 but it's hard to pick the best line the whole way), so from my experience unless you suffer a satellite outage, and the data clearly suggests it, you will rarely be far off the true distance.

Anyway, looking to go into the 5000m track in the League this weekend and put the argument behind me...

Advertisement