Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

quinn/aon assessment

• 14-07-2010 10:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, got a bit of spare cash, was thinking of doing an assessment in a week or two. But first i'd like to assess wether it's worth it or not (see what i did there)

so here's the situation, insurance is up for renewal in september, i'll have 3 years ncb, i got my full A back in march i think. So will the reduction in my insurance cover the cost of the assessment? Also, does this reduction follow on year after year, which will cause it to eventually pay for itself.

I'm gonna go with David Lyons for my assessment as i passed my test under his instruction, so no reason to change there.

What's the assessment like? Easier or harder than the Full A test?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

For cost benefit analysis, the max discount is 25% I believe, so you can work that out from your insurance quote and the cost of doing the lessons.

As for the difficulty, I don't know, but I did the RoSPA which was much harder (and rightly so) than the DoE test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Would the RoSPA be a better option, will that give reductions aswell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Xios wrote: »
    Would the RoSPA be a better option, will that give reductions aswell?

RoSPA (gold = instructor level or silver = garda motorcyclist) is 33% discount. Bronze is equivalent to a high Aon pass so 25%.

It's about £50 - £80 annually and to do the test. For this you become a RoSPA member, which allows (upon maintaining your annual subscription) you to do your retest (every 3 years) for free.

The advanced course that I did was with MSA who were very good, but was relatively more expensive. However at the time the €500 saving in my insurance paid for it in one go.

Personally though, I believe the training and skills taught to be worth more than the monetary 33% discount, but it is a nice amount each year that allows me to indulge in a nicer bike than perhaps I would if I was paying more for insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Xios wrote: »
    Hey guys, got a bit of spare cash, was thinking of doing an assessment in a week or two. But first i'd like to assess wether it's worth it or not (see what i did there)

so here's the situation, insurance is up for renewal in september, i'll have 3 years ncb, i got my full A back in march i think. So will the reduction in my insurance cover the cost of the assessment? Also, does this reduction follow on year after year, which will cause it to eventually pay for itself.

I'm gonna go with David Lyons for my assessment as i passed my test under his instruction, so no reason to change there.

What's the assessment like? Easier or harder than the Full A test?

It would have paid for itself three years ago. Now, not so much. ROSPA might be the better option as all four insurance company's recognize it.

Yeah, might go for Rospa, is the only way to apply by post? It says they offer free training, that only in the UK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

nereid wrote: »
    For cost benefit analysis, the max discount is 25% I believe, so you can work that out from your insurance quote and the cost of doing the lessons.

As for the difficulty, I don't know, but I did the RoSPA which was much harder (and rightly so) than the DoE test.

Thats only the basic level - for quinn the maximum reduction is actually 45% http://www.motorbiketraining.net/aon.html

I have grade 2 which is a 40% reduction in my premium so it paid for itself instantly...

The difference between Rospa & the assessments is the difficulty level, you'll find the assessment is alot easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Try not to run before you can walk. The RoSPA will take you a long time to be trained up for as it requires you to ride at a very advanced level for 1 1/2 hours with an examiner watching every move. When riders with your experience ask me to train them up for the RoSPA test my usual answer would be come back to me after you have another 5-10000 klms under your belt then train for it.
    RoSPA charge £20 anually for membership if you pass and you will recieve a full report on your ride. If you keep up your membership after 3 years you will be re-tested for free. In the UK the advanced RoSPA training groups do offer some free training but the instructors are subsidised by RoSPA and they have been doing it over ther for many years. In Ireland over the last few years it has become more highly cherished and recognised. The assessment may be a good idea to start as it will also give you a good idea of where you stand with your riding ability.

Good Luck in whatever you decide. Any training is better than none at all.;)

Roadskill

Call me lazy, but i think the Rospa is a little bit over complicated for me to do now, the assessment will be my quick fix, gonna go for that, maybe rospa in the new year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

How did you get on with this? I'm in pretty much the same situation as you were in your original OP.
    Are the Quinn assessments recognised by the other companies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

I did the quinn assessment in November during a full-day (6 hour) lesson with an instructor. The day cost me €300, including bike hire (didnt have my own bike yet - it was actually my first time on a bike). I got a grade 3 which reduced my quote by about €270 so it almost instantly paid for itself.

So I guess it depends on your quote whether it will be worth it.

Quinn assessments are not recognised by AON, don't know about other insurance companies. However, Quinn used to recognise the AON assessment, they're not supposed to anymore but when I was ringing around for a quote I asked about it and after talking to a manager I was told they would recognise it - if your going that way you should check with Quinn beforehand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Quinn and Adelaide recognize the Aon assessment. Carol Nash are just pricks like always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

How hard is it to get a Grade 2? Have full license already. Are they similar (Aon grade 2 Vs Quinn grade 2) When you pay for instruction is the assessment included in that price or do would it be better to do the assessment before getting lessons to find out what areas you need tuition in or how does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

Simona1986 wrote: »
    How hard is it to get a Grade 2? Its not that difficult, if you ride properly. Have full license already. Are they similar (Aon grade 2 Vs Quinn grade 2)
    Quinn grade 1 is the equivalent of the aon grade 2.
    When you pay for instruction is the assessment included in that price or do would it be better to do the assessment before getting lessons to find out what areas you need tuition in or how does it work? Best thing to do is call whoever you plan on doing it with and talk to them, they will tell you all you need to know.
    When I done mine we did 3 two hour lessons and the last lesson was actually the assessment which I was unaware of.
    We finished up and he said "i've done an assessment on your riding, you can take it or leave it, you got a grade 1".
    I hadn't a clue what he was on about until he explained it all so naturally enough I took it.

Best of luck with doing it anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Simona1986 wrote: »
    How hard is it to get a Grade 2? Have full license already. Are they similar (Aon grade 2 Vs Quinn grade 2) When you pay for instruction is the assessment included in that price or do would it be better to do the assessment before getting lessons to find out what areas you need tuition in or how does it work?

I did the Advanced training with Dave Lyons and the assessment was included in the price of the training. I presume this is the case with most Intructors, but ask first!

I had heard that there was a slight difference in the Quinn vs AON marking system but that would need to be checked.

I got the Grade 2 when I did it. Instructor will follow you for a while to get an idea of your riding skills and where you need to improve. Then over the course of the day you will be shouted told what you are doing wrong. Once you listen to what you're told and put it into practise you should do OK.

Advertisement