Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting manuals in English

Options
  • 14-07-2010 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

I bought a camera from Pixmania and received manuals in French, Italian, Dutch and German, but not English. I emailed them to request a manual in English and they refused to send one, pointing at their T&Cs which state:

"Please note that some products' instruction manuals do not come in English. If the instruction manual does not come in English, this information will be clearly featured in the technical information sheet of the specific product."

On the product's tech spec sheet it says:

"Hard copy manuals supplied --- Information available soon"

Since the information that I wouldn't get a manual in English did not "clearly feature in the technical information sheet" I feel I'm entitled to a manual in English. I pointed this out to them and haven't had a reply after several days.

I'm just wondering how I might go about escalating this if they refuse to budge? I don't want to sound petty, I know its just a manual, but I feel I should get what I'm entitled to.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Does the camera manufacturers page not have the manual available for download in English?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Does the camera manufacturers page not have the manual available for download in English?

Yes, but I want a hard copy that I can slip into the camera bag. Hard copies are selling for 10-20 euros on ebay but I don't think its unreasonable to expect that an original, colour manual is included after spending over €600 on the camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Just download it and print it out on quality paper.

laminate it if necessary and it will be better than the original.

Just download it and print it out on quality paper.

laminate it if necessary and it will be better than the original.

I think that taking the time + expense of printing/laminating/binding 200 pages is asking a bit much when I should be getting the real thing for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

You bought from a discount French electronics supplier.

I wouldn't expect a manual in English, even my Pixmania supplied LG TV only had options for France, Hungry and Slovakia as it was designed for those markets. I knew the risks before I bought though.

• Advertisement

fleet wrote: »

I wouldn't expect a manual in English, even my Pixmania supplied LG TV only had options for France, Hungry and Slovakia as it was designed for those markets. I knew the risks before I bought though.

Well call me ignorant, but I didn't realise they were based in France til I took a look at the parcel tracking website :) That aside, according to their own T&Cs, they should have pointed out that manuals in English would be unavailable, but they didn't. Therefore the goods I received were not as described. My query is about how to rectify that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

cornbb wrote: »
    Well call me ignorant, but I didn't realise they were based in France til I took a look at the parcel tracking website :) That aside, according to their own T&Cs, they should have pointed out that manuals in English would be unavailable, but they didn't. Therefore the goods I received were not as described. My query is about how to rectify that.

In all honesty, you get what you pay for. A lot of people steer clear of Pixmania for various reasons. A tiny search of CI threads will show a startling angry bunch towards PM. there aftersales is dreadful.

If you want a decent product for a decent price [not the cheapest] buy from bricks and mortar. MUCH easier to enforce your consumer rights.

I think that taking the time + expense of printing/laminating/binding 200 pages is asking a bit much when I should be getting the real thing for free.

A 200 page manual for a camera :eek:

Ipad should be due for Irish release in August, that should fit neatly in your camera bag. :)

RangeR wrote: »
    In all honesty, you get what you pay for. A lot of people steer clear of Pixmania for various reasons. A tiny search of CI threads will show a startling angry bunch towards PM. there aftersales is dreadful.

If you want a decent product for a decent price [not the cheapest] buy from bricks and mortar. MUCH easier to enforce your consumer rights.

Although the money I saved probably made it worth it, it still p*sses me off that I'd get fobbed off because they're a "discount" retailer/they're based abroad. Neither of these facts excuses them from their obligation to sell products as described.
    A 200 page manual for a camera :eek:

Ipad ishould be due out by August, that sgould fit neatly in your camera bag. :)

If only I could use that to justify an iPad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Although the money I saved probably made it worth it,
    Obviously not or you wouldn't be here.
    it still p*sses me off that I'd get fobbed off because they're a "discount" retailer/they're based abroad. Neither of these facts excuses them from their obligation to sell products as described.

If you feel that strongly about it, go through Pixmania's dispute resolution process fully [good luck with that one, by the way]. If you are still unhappy, go through Small Claims Court or demand a refund.

• Advertisement

If only I could use that to justify an iPad :)

Would also do as the perfect picture display tool. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You can go through their fault resolution process - send the camera and packaging back and get a full refund.

Otherwise, just download the manual from the manufacturer website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

fleet wrote: »

They are selling into the Irish market though, using a .ie website and charging Irish VAT rates. They should supply the correct documentation for any market they supply to.

Whether there is a legal requirement for this or not, I don't know. Power plugs must be the correct type (3-pin for UK and Ireland) regardless of where the retailer is based, this is law, but I'm not aware of any similar requirement for documentation.

RangeR wrote: »
    Obviously not or you wouldn't be here.

tbh if my grievance isn't resolved it'll have been worth it anyway, having saved over a hundred quid. That doesn't mean I should attempt to have my problem resolved though.
    jor el wrote: »
    They are selling into the Irish market though, using a .ie website and charging Irish VAT rates. They should supply the correct documentation for any market they supply to.

Whether there is a legal requirement for this or not, I don't know. Power plugs must be the correct type (3-pin for UK and Ireland) regardless of where the retailer is based, this is law, but I'm not aware of any similar requirement for documentation.

Agreed - and while I don't expect that there's a legal requirement to supply documentation in English, my problem is that the item was not as described. (i.e. they said that they would explicitly tell me if the product didn't come with an english manual, and they did not do that, therefore I expected a manual in english).

They did include a 2-pin to 3-pin plug adapter btw, which I'm happy to live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

jor el wrote: »
    There is some legal requirements in some countries, I am not sure about here. I design machines and usually write the manuals to go with some of them, I think if you are "officially" selling in that country you have to have a manual in that native language - I am not certain what this means though, i.e. it could be if we have a proper bricks & mortar agent there. I know you need approvals for the US and we sell one or 2 things to people there, sort of test/prototype/sample machines. I know we had to get several manuals translated, but I think it was just a request from the country and may not have been a legal issue.

You mention the plugs and I think if sold here it must have the 3 pin plug but if sold to here from abroad it doesn't -or I presume it doesn't since big boys like komplett & pixmania sell 2 pins to here, but include an adaptor, I always thought this was just goodwill and not a legal thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭irishfeller

I was just delivered an IP phone I bought from Pixmania. It was the german model with german documentation booklet and german language menus. Luckily it had a cd included with English version of documentation which showed how to switch handset languages.

They should make it clear beforehand if an item is not the English version.

Advertisement