Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not sure I should be taxed

• 14-07-2010 11:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

I'm a student working about 32 hours a week in summer, about 14 in winter earning €9.50 an hour. There was a guy there last year, who if I could contact I'd ask him, who didn't pay a cent of tax, PRSI or anything, not even income levy.

It was all legal and done through the books, I remember hearing something about how there was a loop hole for being a student and not paying it. Obviously I'm not trying to break the law, but in this day and age, every cent counts. I used to not pay anything, but I think that was due to not earning enough and it was also in a different job.

Any thoughts on this??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sealgaire

Dunno, I always had to pay tax while working part time in college

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Ye most people do, but AFAIK there is a loop hole that I'm hoping some tax genius can point out, as this guy always got exactly his hours times his wage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

To pay tax you need to earn over €18,300 this year provided you are entitled to the personal credit and PAYE credit. Based on your wages details you provided you will earn €304 p.w. Your credits cover this.

You will not be exempt from the income levy if your income exceeds €15,028 this year.

Lucky you to have a job :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Thats pretty helpful. I am getting taxed the income levy, and I most definitely will not exceed €15028 this year. SO whats the best way to get that back? Do I have to wait to get an audit done? And any idea with PRSI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

Come the end of the tax year i.e. 31st Dec fill out the income levy refund claim form which is readily available on the Revenue website www.revenue.ie.

Regarding PRSI you should not be paying any once you stay under €352 in any given week. If you do go over this amount in any week there is no way of getting it back. If you are looking at your payslip and you see that PRSI is being deducted make sure you are not getting confused between your employers PRSI contribution and yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

The "students don't pay tax" think is a myth Alexlyons, it is just that they usually don't earn enough working part time to pay tax so they think they are not obliged to pay it.

As jockey said, on the wage details you gave, you will be deducted the income levy as you are earning over 290 a week. You can calim a refund at the end of the year. Some payroll packages actually will refund it to you if it is due in the last payroll week of the year, providing you are still working for the same employer.

You shouldn't be paying PRSI as jockey said. As regards tax, make sure to check your tax credit cert you got in the post from revenue that you have a personal credit of 1830 and a paye credit of 1830.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Manofthewest

Your paying the Income Levy cause your earning over €289 per week. At the end of the year if you have not exceeded €15,028 in the year you can be refunded the Income Levy about. If you have been with the same employer all year. They can make the adjustment and refund it to you or you can get the refund directly from the Revenue as mentioned above.

Advertisement