Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waxy, smelly ears, mites or infection?

Options
  • 14-07-2010 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

I noticed the other day that one of my cavaliers has waxier ears than normal, one ear in particular, and it smells bad, and is slightly red. She doesn't seem to be scratching but is shaking her head, just a little.

Does this sound more like an infection or mites?

The other dogs seem ok, slight bit of wax that I cleaned away and didn't come back. The cats seem fine, and I actually had two of them in the vets a few weeks ago and she checked for ear mites and they had none.

I called the vets and the vet wasn't there and they just said to put some drops in them (antibacterial drops to clean the ears, not for mites). So she hasn't actually seen a vet, but will if these don't work.

More wax just keeps coming back every time I clean them, and it smells pretty bad, poor dog. I also trimmed all around the inside of the ear to keep it clean and let the air in.

Just wondering does anyone know if it sounds like ear mites? I hope not or I'll have to probably treat all 4 dogs and 6 cats, and I'm hoping rabbits and guinea pigs can't catch them, cos don't want to have to treat 24 animals! They're not in close contact with the other animals anyway . . . but of course I'll treat them if I have to :)

Oh and also the dog has had really bad hearing for the last year maybe. At first I just thought she was being disobedient, then just getting older, but it must have something to do with the ears being waxy . . .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Hiya

Im not a vet and Im talking about my experince with a cat but yep that smelly gunky wax does sounds like an ear mite infection to me. My poor cat had ear baths, drops and daily inspections for ages to get it cleared up.

Poor doggie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I think I'll treat her with drops for mites anyway, it couldn't do any harm, and keep an eye on the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Our cav is prone to irritated ears. It doesn't always mean mites or infection, however if it isn't cleaned it could then lead into an infection.

You need to clean the ears with an oil based cleaning solution regularly and also try and prevent water getting in the ears. However In this case I would take your dog to the vet to ensure it isn't an actual infection or mites.

The receptionist in the vet's was kinda rude and was like "the vet won't be around" (she's a large animal vet, and just sees small animals some days, I said I could go in any day though, so dunno why she was rude about it, I had no problem waiting a few days.) :rolleyes:

But I have to bring my puppy to the vet in two weeks anyway, so I might just keep an eye on the ear so, and if it stays much the same then I'll bring her in in two weeks. If it gets worse soon then I'll try to bring her in this week, if they'll let me!

I do think it's slightly infected, because it's slightly red, or maybe just irritated, but the drops seem to be for mild infections, but not for severe infections, so I'll just see if they work and if it gets better soon. It's oil based and antibacterial, so hopefully will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

It is probably red from just being irritated. We have brought our cav to the vet plenty of times with a red, waxy ear and when he looks into the canal it is actually fine - so it is just the outer ear that is irritated. You could also try and use a little olive oil to clean the wax from the ear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

When was the last time you treated for fleas etc? Advocate is effective against fleas, ear mites, and also lungworm, which apparently is becoming a problem in Ireland. It wouldn't hurt to treat them all.

I only treat for fleas if they get them, last time was about 3 years ago, when I got a new kitten for fleas so I treated them all. I know they say to treat them often, but they rarely get fleas. I do worm them every few months though, cos the cats do get worms sometimes and would pass them on to the dogs.

Does anyone know, if one got ear mites, would they all catch them pretty soon? The reason I'm doubting it's ear mites is because all the others seem fine, and the cat who was at the vets a few weeks ago didn't have them then, and also none of them are scratching.

I'll treat her with advocate anyway I think, I'll pick that up later or tomorrow. But will wait and see for the others I think, because I don't like treating them when they don't have something, and also it'd be expensive . . .

Advertisement