Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Updated FIFA rankings are out

• 14-07-2010 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭

Rank|Team|Points|+- Rank|Tdcy|+- Points
    1|Spain|1883|1|Up|318
    2|Netherlands|1659|2|Up|428
    3|Brazil|1536|-2|Down|-75
    4|Germany|1464|2|Up|382
    5|Argentina|1289|2|Up|213
    6|Uruguay|1152|10|Up|253
    7|England|1125|1|Up|57
    8|Portugal|1062|-5|Down|-187
    9|Egypt|1053|3|Up|86
    10|Chile|988|8|Up|100
    11|Italy|982|-6|Down|-202
    12|Greece|975|1|Up|11
    13|USA|969|1|Up|12
    13|Serbia|969|2|Up|22
    15|Croatia|968|-5|Down|-73
    16|Paraguay|961|15|Up|141
    17|Russia|956|-6|Down|-59
    18|Switzerland|940|6|Up|74
    19|Slovenia|917|6|Up|57
    20|Australia|911|0|Equal|25

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/lastranking/gender=m/fullranking.html

I know I'm an Anglofootiephobe but seriously...how in gods name England can be in seventh place not having won anything for like centuries and actually be ahead of recent enough winners like Italy & Greece is beyond me. England is actually up by 57 points between before the World Cup and after:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

What is extremely baffling is how Egypt moved up 3 places to ninth and they didn't even qualify for the World Cup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

England had a pretty impressie qualifying campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

England had a pretty impressie qualifying campaign.

Correct me if I'm wrong, in that impressive qualifying campaign they only had to play one team currently in the top 20 themselves, namely Croatia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Who the fudge are Gabon and why are they ahead of us?

I call shenanigans, I'm betting its a country invented by Fifa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Gabon 2 places above Ireland :rolleyes:

Edit: Beaten to it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

there was nothing impressive about englands world cup campaign except they managed not to do terribly in it.

Seems they saved it for the WC.

i dont get how they moved up. its a FIFA thing I assume

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Crop the image and upload it :P

fifa-1.jpg?t=1279104335

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

New Zealand are 54th. Haha get in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Anthony Walsh

They should make it like boxing or mma, and make teams play other teams near them to try climb the table. First match I want to see is Ireland versus Gabon. We should be easily able to beat a non-existent country:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Boskowski wrote: »
    I know I'm an Anglofootiephobe but seriously...how in gods name England can be in seventh place not having won anything for like centuries and actually be ahead of recent enough winners like Italy & Greece is beyond me. England is actually up by 57 points between before the World Cup and after:confused:
    The rankings are done on a 4 year rolling basis, how they're calculated is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifa_world_rankings#Current_calculation_method
    * How does one make such a table look properly if you can't pick a fixed font and tabs don't seem to work either:confused:
    Wrap it in <CODE> tags (replace '<' with '[') to give it a monospace font

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Boskowski don't you let your bigotry get in the way of doing some research eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Rankings are a bit of joke tbh, always have been.

28064212 wrote: »
    Wrap it in <CODE> tags (replace '<' with '

The CODE tags make it look better alright as it seems to enable tabs, but the <CODE>test</CODE> suggestion doesn't work at all for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

What's that other scale/method of ranking that people seem happier to go by as it seems to be a bit more realistic?

mike65 wrote: »
    Boskowski don't you let your bigotry get in the way of doing some research eh?

Can't teach an old dog new tricks Mike. Research:confused::confused::confused::pac:

No seriously, I know how these things are calculated and it makes sense in a way, but it's still baffling how the rankings resulting from those calculations never seem to represent actual current strength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Fizman wrote: »
    What's that other scale/method of ranking that people seem happier to go by as it seems to be a bit more realistic?

Medals.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »

Don't. But never miss an opportunity to have a good rant against England.

Egypt and Chile in the top 10. Good Lord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

yes they are a load of s*te in terms of reality but they are hugely important. check last years fiasco for the world cup play offs.

i would think ireland moved up 5 places due to beating algeria and paraguay before the world cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

African Champions and probably the 4th best team in South America. I wouldn't begrudge their positions ahead of the likes of Italy, Croatia, Russia etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Egypt are reigning African champions so would have got a shed load of points for that as would Chile who finished 2nd in their qualifying group and made it to the last 16 of the WC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Rank Team Points +- Rank Tdcy +- Points
    1 Spain........... 1883 1....Up 318
    2 Netherlands...1659 2 Up 428
    3 Brazil............1536 -2 Down -75
    4 Germany.......1464 2 Up 382
    5 Argentina.......1289 2 Up 213

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I can't get it to format any better than that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,446 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Well it works like this

If Ireland goes up and/or England goes down the rankings are a valid measure of the current state of world football

If Ireland goes down and/or England goes up then they are just b***ix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

The Elo Ratings, we're 27th at the moment. The website seems to be down right now but the top 60 are listed here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

At least we have moved up in the rankings, with a few wins in the Euro qualifiers we should move up again and hopefully make the top 30 and keep pushing on from there.

If we qualify for the Euro Finals our rank will improve also and might drop us into a better pot for the next World Cup qualifying, all ifs and buts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

We need another good striker to play alongside Keane. Sorry Doyler your just not cutting it. Your too Heskey like for me.

We need the second striker to be putting in those extra goals against the big teams giving us the comfortable lead rather than the nervey lead. We need to get back in the habit of bashing the smaller teams 3/4 and 5 nil. We have to ditch some of the old favourites.

Without this we will never progress and hang around in the 30's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Chile 10th! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Ironically, if the play-off draw was done with the rankings done as they are now, we couldn't draw France...

I wouldn't count it as a major shock result if we beat any of the teams outside the top 10.

Egypt - African Cup of Nations Champions 2006, 2008, 2010

Chile - 2nd in South American Qualifying for the World Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,601 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Bit shocked France arent there, I know they had a terrible world cup and all but so did Italy and Egypt weren't even there. Must be the first time in a while France aren't in the top 20!

We need another good striker to play alongside Keane. Sorry Doyler your just not cutting it. Your too Heskey like for me.
    :pac:

WTF? Doyle has probably been Ireland's best player for the last year. Heskey-like? He's about as far away from Heskey as you can get. What the hell are you talking about?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Bit shocked France arent there, I know they had a terrible world cup and all but so did Italy and Egypt weren't even there. Must be the first time in a while France aren't in the top 20!
    Last time was Apr 1998, look what happened then :pac:

France only qualified via the play-offs, and lost to China and drew with Tunisia in friendlies prior to the World Cup. They're also suffering from the fact that it's a rolling 4-year measure, so the results that aren't being counted anymore are from World Cup 2006 when they got to the final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

No seriously, I know how these things are calculated and it makes sense in a way, but it's still baffling how the rankings resulting from those calculations never seem to represent actual current strength.
    I know this seems pedantic, but it's not supposed to represent current strength (at least, I think its not) - to do that would be to take only the last game played into account. The current system is for ranking a team based on performances in the last 48 months.

England (and some others) are really only up a place or two cos Italy have done so bad in the WC relatively speaking.

Its good to see Ireland back in the top 30. Slovakia (2nd seed in our group) are now in the top 20, so a couple of good wins against them and Russia in qualification could maybe push us into 2nd seed status for WC 2014. *fingers crossed*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Unofficial Football World Championships? :)

Holland were top before the final so whoever won was going to unite the World Cup and UFWC titles...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

who's 14th?

DrumSteve wrote: »
    who's 14th?
    No-one, since Serbia and the US are joint 13th

Egypt - African Cup of Nations Champions 2006, 2008, 2010

...and yet continually fail to qualify for World Cups. So its kinda harge to gauge them against teams on the World stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Anthony Walsh

The Elo Ratings, we're 27th at the moment. The website seems to be down right now but the top 60 are listed here

Where the féck are Gabon in that ranking list? I knew they were made up. Or Sepp Blatter decided he would try piss off the Irish by putting them ahead of us.

I always prefered the ELO ratings anyway, done on a better basis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Its fairly simple folks- England moved up because Portugal did so badly in qualifying and the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Its fairly simple folks- England moved up because Portugal did so badly in qualifying and the WC.

Qualifying campaigns would all have been factored in to the last update, though. It was out in May, 6 months after the end of qualification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ghana only gained 74 pts and moved up 9 places to 23. Uruguay who were extremely lucky to have the chance to beat them on penalties gain 253 pts.

Ridiculous imo.

Where the féck are Gabon in that ranking list? I knew they were made up. Or Sepp Blatter decided he would try piss off the Irish by putting them ahead of us.

I always prefered the ELO ratings anyway, done on a better basis

Found a back up of the full Elo listings here:
    http://www.football-rankings.info/2010/07/elo-ratings-update-12-july-2010.html

Gabon are 82nd, just behind Northern Ireland, Cyprus, Trinidad & Tobago and Bahrain.

Another explanation for Egypt's ranking is they beat (among others) Algeria, Cameroon, Nigeria and Ghana this year in the ACN so I assume they racked up a hefty points haul for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Jordan Berbatov

Shzm wrote: »
    New Zealand are 54th. Haha get in!

They were the only unbeaten team at the world cup!

eagle eye wrote: »
    Ghana only gained 74 pts and moved up 9 places to 23. Uruguay who were extremely lucky to have the chance to beat them on penalties gain 253 pts.

Ridiculous imo.

Uruguay topped their group comfortably with 7 points, Ghana went through with 4 points and on goal difference, all these things add up, and there is a big difference between a world cup semi final and a world cup quarter final.

Just noticed Mexico down 7 places, seems a bit harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Rank Team Points +- Rank Tdcy +- Points
    1 Spain........... 1883 1....Up 318
    2 Netherlands...1659 2 Up 428
    3 Brazil............1536 -2 Down -75
    4 Germany.......1464 2 Up 382
    5 Argentina.......1289 2 Up 213

OK, I'll bite!

Rank|Team|Points|+- Rank|Tdcy|+- Points
    1|Spain|1883|1|Up|318
    2|Netherlands|1659|2|Up|428
    3|Brazil|1536|-2|Down|-75
    4|Germany|1464|2|Up|382
    5|Argentina|1289|2|Up|213

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Uruguay topped their group comfortably with 7 points, Ghana went through with 4 points and on goal difference, all these things add up, and there is a big difference between a world cup semi final and a world cup quarter final.

Just noticed Mexico down 7 places, seems a bit harsh.
    So you are saying that regardless of how you got to the semi-final they shoud get over 3 times the points that Ghana got.

Are you for real? Its quite clear these two teams are very, very closely matched but one gets 254pts and the other gets only 74pts. That is ridiculous by any stretch.

If there was a 74 pt difference in the points gained I would think its fair enough but 180pts because you escaped from extra-time and won a penalty shootout? Like come on.

eagle eye wrote: »
    So you are saying that regardless of how you got to the semi-final they shoud get over 3 times the points that Ghana got.

Are you for real? Its quite clear these two teams are very, very closely matched but one gets 254pts and the other gets only 74pts. That is ridiculous by any stretch.

If there was a 74 pt difference in the points gained I would think its fair enough but 180pts because you escaped from extra-time and won a penalty shootout? Like come on.

Well they are hardly going to give points based on performance, or whether a team deserved to win or not. Ghana won two matches in this world cup, and one needed extra time. Uruguay won four matches, and got to a semi final.

You keep coming back to the match between the two which Uruguay were lucky to win, but they the important thing was that the did win, you dont get Fifa points for moral victorys. Uruguay earned their Fifa points when the beat the hosts 3-0, when the beat Mexico and when the beat South Korea, and when the beat Ghana.

• Advertisement
Advertisement