Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dont look Sony/Panasonic owners

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Borderfox wrote: »
    http://www.photographybay.com/2010/07/08/canon-5d-mark-ii-strikes-again-captures-sonys-official-cyber-shot-promo-images/

Sony using Canon 5dmk2 to shoot their Cybershot promo images and on the release of the A900 they used the 5dmk1

heh. Schoolboy error on their part, unless of course they couldn't FIND a commercial photographer using one of their 'pro' bodies :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

Thats really embarrassing!

Ok we all "know" that companies use the best cameras available for their promo shots, but they don't show that in their own adverts! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

heh. Schoolboy error on their part, unless of course they couldn't FIND a commercial photographer using one of their 'pro' bodies :)

Why the 'pro' in commas? Many pros use the A900, it's a beast.

Funny that Sony felt a high end canon shot was needed to represent one of their compacts :D Joke's on Canon really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Many pros use the A900

Go on... tell us where you got that info?

EH, loads of them on flickr, producing brilliant images - can't say I find the same with people who are more interested in whoring their gear than taking decent pics. Not aiming that at anyone in particular, but canon-heads are the biggest mouths :P

In fact, there's people taking better pictures with compacts than 5D mk whatevers ... those users being more caught up doing time-lapse clips and harping on about their gear

This guy prefers the A900 -

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/a900-5dmkii.shtml

• Advertisement

Many pros use the A900
    EH, loads of them on flickr

Are you confusing people with Pro Flickr accounts with Professional Photographers?

Of course I'm not doubting you... but how do you tell if someone is a Professional from Flickr... I'm assuming it's in their profile or something?

In fact, there's people taking better pictures with compacts than 5D mk whatevers ... those users being more caught up doing time-lapse clips and harping on about their gear

How true...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Flickr is full of facts, indeed, Flickr can be used as evidence for judging mass groups of photographers.

I think I can tell the difference between pro accounts and actual pros :D

I find the actual pros in the Sony groups really helpful, even to us poor low-end users. I don't do the explore side of flickr, thanks ;)

Now this is merely opinion, but even Canon gear-heads seem to sneer at lower end Canon users! I find the opposite with Sony users. they're not the slightest bit elite or into trends. They encourage n00bs to opt for entry level models

Makes or models mean nowt to me, end results matter. I was getting good shots [IMHO] with an old fuji bridge loike, bought the dslr for more control, went Sony for value. Simple :)

Loud mouthed 'Sony heads' seem to do nothing more than scour Flickr telling Canon and Nikon users how their gear is on par or better than said Canon or Nikon.

Tbh 'pros' generally don't care.

• Advertisement

I find the opposite with Sony users. they're not the slightest bit elite or into trends. They encourage n00bs to opt for entry level models

Well... that's heart warming.

Sony's new marketing slogan should be:
    If you need love... buy a Sony
    If you need top end photographs for marketing purposes... don't

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Loud mouthed 'Sony heads' seem to do nothing more than scour Flickr telling Canon and Nikon users how their gear is on par or better than said Canon or Nikon.

Tbh 'pros' generally don't care.

I see, I'm a loud mouth because I say Sony are just as good ... I don't 'scour' flickr. I come across these things in my daily rounds. You seem a little sore, what camera do you use? I never discuss comparison, as I don't care. It wasn't I that sneered at Sony 'pro' cams to begin with ;)

Don't take my word for it -

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2008/12/sony-vs-nikon-v.html

All much of a muchness.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Well... that's heart warming.

Sneer away. Canon user ... :P

It is just nice to know outside of the canikons, there are good people willing to help the little guys. You never see a Sony/Pentax/Olympus user harp on about their gear, let's be honest. there's only 2 camps do it. Bit like United and 'Pool fans.

I see, I'm a loud mouth because I say Sony are just as good ... I don't 'scour' flickr. I come across these things in my daily rounds. You seem a little sore, what camera do you use? I never discuss comparison, as I don't care. It wasn't I that sneered at Sony 'pro' cams to begin with ;)

Why, I didn't mention your name!? Are you a loud mouth? :confused:

I'm not sore in the slightest. :)

Why, I didn't mention your name!? Are you a loud mouth? :confused:

I'm not sore in the slightest. :)

Like you weren't aiming it at me! :D

Nope, just a straight shooter ;)

I wouldn't say no to ANY higher end make or model. I don't fly flags for anyone, only what my pocket allows. I'd have a Canon if I'd found one at the right price, but owners seem to think their old 400D models are worth almost new prices! Same with old D60s. I got me a Sony cheap as chips and no complaints [until I dropped it!]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

The A900 seems like a nice enough camera, but no piece of equipment makes you a "pro".

Unless someone is selling a camera intended for use in product photography, I wouldn't worry about shooting the product/advertising photography with a different camera. There was a similar hubbub a couple of years ago when the advertising for some high-end Nikon body was done using a Mamiya digital.

If anything, these links are worse for Panasonic's advertising in that the seemed to imply that their camera's ad was shot with the same camera but was actually shot with a 5D2.

Like you weren't aiming it at me! :D

:eek:

I'd never.

Of course, a true pro should be able to get top images from any camera. They should know how to get the best out of gear despite the limitations. The A900 only seems to lack in the very high ISO noise handling dept. But the IQ is supposedly outstanding. No live view though ... for that price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

most snesible pros i know, who i work for that is

actually dont care about the gear much, in the sense if it does what they need it to do and its not too bad priced thats what they will use

or the real media savy pros, who are caughted by the manufacturers will use what they are given for free

I remember a very well known photoshop guru complaining about a top end camera he was given saying it was ****e, and use using a 400 euro personal camera instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

You never see a Sony/Pentax/Olympus user harp on about their gear, let's be honest.

Is it worth harping on about? :D

I think you're missing the point of the original post, especially the Panasonic G2 article. The ad features people resording themselves with the camera, and switches to the camera's viewpoint... but it's not the camera they're advertising. I think that says volumes!

• Advertisement

I was responding to Darragh's post having a tsab at Sony 'pro' cameras. I still think it's funny they used images from a high end canon to advertise a compact sony. Bet they did it on purpose :D

Bet they did it on purpose
    I bet they did it on purpose too... sure it was hardly the case that the photographer picked up a Canon 5DII by accident, mistakenly forgetting to use the A900.

But I wouldn't bet that they wanted people to find out about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Bet they did it on purpose :D

Well it's for promotional material, they kind of need it to look good! You wouldn't advertise your latest camera phone by taking a photo of it with a 2 megapixel camera with bad glass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

This seems to hit the nail on the head
    Is this a big deal? Probably not.

Is it a little embarrassing for Sony? Yeah.

Is there a lesson to learn here? I think so.

Sony has been pushing pro photographers to take the company seriously. At PMA 2010, Sony was the only camera manufacturer that put a pro photographer on stage to give free seminars on the show floor throughout the week. Canon usually is the big dog at PMA with great lectures from the company’s Explorers of Light, but Canon was absent from PMA 2010 and it looked like Sony was really stepping up its game.
    If Sony really believes in the company’s evangelists who shoot with an A900 and Sony/Zeiss lenses in their everyday professional endeavors, why not seek out these photographers for its promo shots and ad campaigns?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

is it friday already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Ah lads. It's terrible to see this thread descend the way it has. I've owned Konica/Canon film SLRs/P&S; an Olympus digital P&S (brilliant camera); a Fuji bridge s5000 (wonderful camera also); and now own an Eos 40D, which I love.

Isn't it all about enjoyment? FFS it's like the whole Mac/PC BS again. Get a grip. And do what you do best - with whatever you use.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Ah lads. It's terrible to see this thread descend the way it has. I've owned Konica/Canon film SLRs/P&S; an Olympus digital P&S (brilliant camera); a Fuji bridge s5000 (wonderful camera also); and now own an Eos 40D, which I love.

Go you!

me thinks you're the one needs to get a grip ...

It's called ... Discussion.

Nobody gets hurt ... unless they're a big cry baby. :D It wasn't that interesting a thread to begin with, this is nothing new, it's all happened before. And there's never any harm discussing brands/makes/models/differences. Otherwise close this forum right now, or keep it to patting one another on the back ;)

=

Lol, what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Joke's on Canon really.

...wait what?

• Advertisement

Lol, what?

Oh sorry, i see you thumbed up his reply, so i must be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Oh boy, that's rather embarrassing for both of them! In respect to maintaining brand strategy that's a serious issue that needs to be addressed! Reminds me of that picture of Bill Gates at a conference showing a presentation on a Mac (or was it Steve Jobs on a PC, can't remember now). Like Borderfox quoted from the article, is it a big deal? No, probably not that big of a deal, however, from a credibility point of view, it's disastrous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Go you!

It's called ... Discussion.

In fairness you were ripping on Canon/Nikon owners. It is pretty much established that in the world of professional photography the only DSLRs considered are Canon/Nikon and with good reason.

Sony/Pentax/Olympus aren't in the running at all. I can say that impartially as a Pentax owner. They are all capable of producing fantastic images and once you're having fun that's all that matters.

Outside of professional use who cares, just buy something and get using it!

In fairness you were ripping on Canon/Nikon owners. It is pretty much established that in the world of professional photography the only DSLRs considered are Canon/Nikon and with good reason.

Sony/Pentax/Olympus aren't in the running at all. I can say that impartially as a Pentax owner. They are all capable of producing fantastic images and once you're having fun that's all that matters.

Outside of professional use who cares, just buy something and get using it!

Yar, I actually totally agree with your last line at least.

I wasn't ripping on them for sport, I pulled up someone on their 'pro' remark. It was an intentional poke at anything non-Canikon IMO. Just had a bit of a poke back. Nobody died ;)

Nobody died ;)

oh?

...Then why dost thou protest so much?
    people who are more interested in whoring their gear than taking decent pics
    canon-heads are the biggest mouths :P
    Sneer away. Canon user ... :P
    Nobody gets hurt ... unless they're a big cry baby. :D

You look like you're just trying to stir crap tbh. Strange for a Mod ...

I could easily pick through this thread for anti-Sony quotes, but I'm not sad enough ;)

I said I was messing about, why multi/miss-quote me? Seriously ... do you work for the Sun? :D

If you put half as much time into your images as you do nit-picking, I imagine you must be brilliant photographer!

• Advertisement

I'm just pointing out that the only person in here sneering and saying that what gear you have matters in regards to what kind of photographer you are, is you.

You made a bit of an over point about it IMO.

Touchy people ... sheesh.

Just so you know, I sold a camera to a boards Mod only last week. My old fuji - sound fella, and I'm sure he'd say same back - in fact, he did so in his feedback, check it ;)

I went through 4 fuji cams before I bought this Sony - used - through adverts. Just went with the best deal [came with 2 lenses, a remote and filters for €300!]

If a Canon had come up with such additional goodies, I'd be one of 'those' too :D

Touchy people ... sheesh.

Funny how (repeatedly) calling people names can do that, though. You came accross very poorly in this thread.

As the immortal bard Ice Cube says, check yo'self befo' you wreck yo'self.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

You look like you're just trying to stir crap tbh. Strange for a Mod ...

Not trying to cause any trouble but Xiney being a mod has nothing to do with anything. She isn't a mod of the photography forum and so is just a regular user of the forum like yourself or myself.

Now let's all drop our handbags and get on with taking photos! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I honestly don't see a problem here. Before Digital there would have been little way to know for certain what camera was used.

I would imagine that the camera used to take your Promotional shots would be up to the photographer you hire. Forcing that photographer to use your equipment to take the shot would be little more than a marketing ploy.

I mean they know they are not likely to take a significant portion of the Pro market share. So, they aim at the consumer market, and most of the public wouldn't know or care.

• Advertisement

Xiney wrote: »
    Funny how (repeatedly) calling people names can do that, though. You came accross very poorly in this thread.

As the immortal bard Ice Cube says, check yo'self befo' you wreck yo'self.

You're coming across poorly IMHO.

Already stated it was all in jest, you come in for no reason multi-quoting and continuing to stab at me ... but there's always one :rolleyes:

Seems to me, Kintaro, only one person here trying to cause trouble, and it aint me, just responding.

Just so you know, I sold a camera to a boards Mod only last week. My old fuji - sound fella, and I'm sure he'd say same back - in fact, he did so in his feedback, check it ;)

Post is unrelated? :confused:

If you put half as much time into your images as you do nit-picking, I imagine you must be brilliant photographer!

@Thecageyone - Same could be said for you, just replace nit-picking with talking out of your arse... not just on this thread but on this forum in general.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I honestly don't see a problem here. Before Digital there would have been little way to know for certain what camera was used.

I would imagine that the camera used to take your Promotional shots would be up to the photographer you hire. Forcing that photographer to use your equipment to take the shot would be little more than a marketing ploy.

I mean they know they are not likely to take a significant portion of the Pro market share. So, they aim at the consumer market, and most of the public wouldn't know or care.

It's just really embarrassing more than anything else. They've violated the corporate "eat your own dogfood" maxim. I work in an IP telecoms company, and we use all our own products. Naturally because it's the best in the market etc etc etc, but can you imagine the brouha if we actually used a competitors product within the company ? It sends a message out that your own products certainly aren't good enough for YOU to use, so why should anyone else ?

Sony are desperately trying to claw some pro market share. It has little to do with the quality of their cameras (although that in-body IS always seemed a bit dodge.) and everything to do with challenging the status quo. They've thrown themselves a curveball on this one. The problem with having zero pro market share is that it's something that the overly brand-conscious consumers (or worse still, 'prosumers' ewww) pick up on. If they don't get big ranks of alpha cameras at major sporting events then they'll always be regarded as an amateur, micky mouse camera company. Playstations and walkmans, not cameras. Personally I think they should have kept the Konica/Minolta brand and done everything else the same but what can you do ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

daire

i have to agree with you, its a marketing mess

I used to work in the events business doing product launches and exhibitions etc

companies like sony were mad on making sure stands wer only populated with their own equipment where visiable

i remember one of the guys from philips showing me his nokia mobile with a plain cover on it so that it wasnt obvious is wasnt a philips phone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

This is an interesting discussion, well the parts which are on topic anyway.

Please desist from the point scoring & squabbling. Some may think it is just jest but others are finding it annoying seeing threads derailed.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

If I was head of Sony Marketing, I would seek out a professional that uses our equipment to do the job. The gear they make is more than up to the job of producing the quality that they require.

The point of the thread is not to bash Sony/Panasonic users but to lambast Sony/Panasonic for a poor choice in not doing their credibility any favours. If they want to be taken seriously in the marketplace they really should use their own gear or at least strip the EXIF from promotional shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Having now actually read the links, Panasonic deserve a slap in the face for that 'carefully worded' crap of a press release.

Borderfox, I agree with you that had some intelligent Sony marketing person had thought about it they should have used their own product, but again the Cyber-shot consumer is not likely to care.

DaireQuinlan, Don't use that horrid fuax-word marketing term around me, please. ;) (Prosumer = we need a word to get people to buy more expensive cameras)

Advertisement