Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Child C&C - Part 2

• 14-07-2010 12:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

Last week I asked for some C&C with some child photographs, on a white background, and got some really great help. From the over exposure issue, to the red tinge, to advice how to change the light set up, to some general tips. I was also very interested to read smelltheglove’s comments, its great to see the results from someone who is working in confined space too.

Original Thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055964080

So I went back to the drawing board and tried it all again and to be honest the results didn’t improve much. Out of frustration I decided to try something new and moved everything out of my study and into the kitchen, where I have a little more space to play with.

Here are some samples and I suppose the biggest question is are they any better?

D7AC7A830BDD46428D5DE620055697DE-500.jpg

F6926DB5CB00410490938962520EB356-500.jpg

There are a few things that still don’t work for me, but I’d really appreciate some brutal honesty again!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Just one thing that jumps out at me straight away... the background... there are a lot of creases and they really take from the photo.

Your light source also seems a bit left heavy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

So your screen may still be a bit bright, the second image here is over exposed. With regards to the background, those little creases and darker areas can be very easily cloned out to give you a cleaner image. As above, light is a lot stronger on the left.

Have you lit the background individually here? A huge improvement from last week though, well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

Thanks again.

I'm trying to use the left light to light the background, its set to a couple of stops higher than the main light on the right. Unfortunately I forgot to move the left light when the subject stood up and that caused at least some of the overexposure.

The background however is a curse. There is no way I can Iron it everytime I need to use it and cloning is grand if you have clear areas to pick from. However this just seems to be wrinkled everywhere... :(

I'm sure that there are a few people out there that have solved this problem?

Anyway I took a couple of more samples and tried a different PP method.

342AFF27556147C5991E2CEF767402F6-500.jpg

388D9405965D462EB7FF5CF30276076B-800.jpg

Those last 2 are miles better. Are you using a background support? If so you could invest in some clamps, put the clamps around the support arms at a couple of stages and grab the material with them, either side so they are in fact stretching the material thus reducing the appearance of creases. Then use the patch tool in photoshop to clear up the areas, if it needs more work than patch go with the clone tool.

Honestly, I moved a couple of months ago from using a white paper roll to using white material and I do regret it, not only did I not have to worry as much about creases but I find the paper was a lot easier to colour balance as it is pure white, out of 3 'pure' white materials I have the paper is still better.

I have a full Muslin background with stand - but I find it just as frustrating as using an old blanket over a chair!

The clips are a good idea, might get a few of those and some weights for the ground sheet. Try and try again :D

• Advertisement

Ah its one of those things, as soon as you figure it out you're grand, its just getting there, you're improving quickly.

Thanks again for the advice - might get it right yet :D

Advertisement