Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easyway to end drinking (if you live with your parents)

Options
  • 14-07-2010 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Tell your mum its a problem. I landed home drunk on a very inappropriate day, and my mum, who is never angry at me was very very angry. I had no other resort than to tell how much of a problem it has been for me. I was drunk so I showed all the books I had been reading etc. and with the no-nonsense approach of an Irish mother she explained to me that it was the end of it for me and I know for a fact she's right. I know I won't get away with anymore and I am glad of that fact. She knows to what extent it was a problem.

Its all very well telling complete strangers that you have a problem, because they won't hold you to account- I know because I've been in treatment etc, but nobody outside of medicine knew about.

I would never have told my mum ordinarily, but I was pretty hammered and spilled the beans. The week that followed was pretty embarrassing and I was worried that she would be worried about me or that she would warn me not to drink when I was going but not so- its been all good. I went out at the weekend there and had just as good a time and now the problem has faded.

In the past where the problem has faded I have returned to drinking but I know I can't do that now (and don't want to either)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭eire2009

zero_nine wrote: »
    Tell your mum its a problem. I landed home drunk on a very inappropriate day, and my mum, who is never angry at me was very very angry. I had no other resort than to tell how much of a problem it has been for me. I was drunk so I showed all the books I had been reading etc. and with the no-nonsense approach of an Irish mother she explained to me that it was the end of it for me and I know for a fact she's right. I know I won't get away with anymore and I am glad of that fact. She knows to what extent it was a problem.

Its all very well telling complete strangers that you have a problem, because they won't hold you to account- I know because I've been in treatment etc, but nobody outside of medicine knew about.

I would never have told my mum ordinarily, but I was pretty hammered and spilled the beans. The week that followed was pretty embarrassing and I was worried that she would be worried about me or that she would warn me not to drink when I was going but not so- its been all good. I went out at the weekend there and had just as good a time and now the problem has faded.

In the past where the problem has faded I have returned to drinking but I know I can't do that now (and don't want to either)

I had the same problem when I was 13 with my mum also, they can be a pain.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

My mother is a pioneer, I wouldn't dream of drinking in front of her or arriving home drunk.

The Irish mammy is still all powerful :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37 CatHerder

zero_nine wrote: »
    That's a good thing to know, because the mind can play tricks on you. Irrespective of the amount of evidence pointing to my problem I can still sometimes think that I'd be able to go back to it.

Advertisement