Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humming / buzzing in the walls

Options
  • 14-07-2010 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Hi,

Recently I have noticed a buzzing in the walls. The noise is not really discernible during the day but at night its quite loud (obviously due to the reduction in whitenoise). The noise is really affecting my sleep at this stage. I cant even enjoy TV anymore as all I can hear is the noise!

Anyway, I tracked the noise down to be coming from the wall shared by our downstairs toilet and utility room.

Last night I did some more investigating. I turned off the main elec trip switch and the noise went. I narrowed it down to a trip that is marked "lights". There are 2 marked this and this one appears to be the upstairs ones. However I noticed that the main box for the alarm also runs off this one. The box is fitted on the same wall. A wire comes out from it and attaches to a smaller box which I assume is the battery.

I think this is the culprit but I am not sure. Has anyone had any similar experiences? Also I should mention that during the winter the alarm box at the front of the house was making crackling sounds but I think that has gone away (havent noticed it in months). Could this be related?

Also as a side note when going through the switches I noticed another sound that disappeared when I turned off one that controls the washing machine (it sounds troublesome but the machine was off when I flicked the switch so I am not sure about this one either. It sounds a little like water bubbling but again the machine was off)

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Possibly your doorbell transformer or alarm panel transformer. However I think you should get it checked out as a crackeling sound is not good. Remember power off if you are doing this yourself.Do you have storage heating as it could also be a contactor???

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

could it be the traffo in the alarm panel on its way out and causing it to vibrate of the panel casing.?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Deanicus

meercat wrote: »
    Possibly your doorbell transformer or alarm panel transformer. However I think you should get it checked out as a crackeling sound is not good. Remember power off if you are doing this yourself.Do you have storage heating as it could also be a contactor???

Hi again meercat (I also posted about the upstairs radiators)

I have no idea what storage heating is

I have attached pics in the other thread if you dont mind having a look.

Both problems did start around the same time. I thought at first that they might be related but after checking the fuses last night I didnt think they were

Cheers

Deanicus

koolkid wrote: »

Thanks koolkid

I read all of the threads before posting so I did see those. Thanks anyway

I have narrowed where and what the buzz seems to be coming from

Maybe I should have posted in the alarms section.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Deanicus wrote: »

I have narrowed where and what the buzz seems to be coming from

Maybe I should have posted in the alarms section.

Is it the transformer in your alarm panel?:confused:

Is it the transformer in your alarm panel?:confused:

I dont have the first clue really about household wiring so I couldn't tell you!

In those other threads it seemed they couldn't pinpoint the source of the buzzing.

I am assuming its coming from the alarm as when I flick the switch in the fuseboard, the alarm box (which is right beside it) turns off and the sound disappears

If it is the transformer is there an easy fix or would I have to call an electrician?

It could be as simple as the panel or power supply has become slightly loose. At worst replace the power supply. Either way not a big or expensive job. Is there a spur beside the alarm panel? If so shut the power off from there & leave the trip switch on, just to eliminate anything else.

It could be as simple as the panel or power supply has become slightly loose. At worst replace the power supply. Either way not a big or expensive job. Is there a spur beside the alarm panel? If so shut the power off from there & leave the trip switch on, just to eliminate anything else.

Sorry I dont understand. What is a spur?

I have attached a pic of the fuseboard and alarm box. The sound is coming from the wall they are on. I cant check if it is coming from the alarm box itself as I cant get high enough to put my ear on it!

Ahh its an Astec system. The fused spur is built in on these panels.
    Just above the orange neon light , pop out the fuse holder by gently inserting a screwdriver into the slot at the side. When the fuse is removed the orange light will go out. If the noise stops its definitely the alarm panel. If it doesn't my next guess would be the bell transformer located on the top right hand side of the fuse board.

• Advertisement

Just above the orange neon light , pop out the fuse holder by gently inserting a screwdriver into the slot at the side. When the fuse is removed the orange light will go out. If the noise stops its definitely the alarm panel. If it doesn't my next guess would be the bell transformer located on the top right hand side of the fuse board.

Thanks koolkid, i'll give it a go tomorrow

off to bed!

thanks again

Your welcome. Let us know how you get on.

Hi koolkid

Sorry to be pestering now at this stage!

I tried what you asked and yeah it is the alarm panel.

Do you know how I could fix this bar calling an electrician?

I was also thinking that in the short term I might just turn the alarm off when we are in the house. Is there anyway I can do this with having the alarm keypad beeping every few minutes?

Again thanks for all your help so far

You could try tightening the fixing on the panel. Turning on and off the power is not a good idea really.

You could try tightening the fixing on the panel. Turning on and off the power is not a good idea really.

Oh ok,

I'll go ahead and tighten it so and hope it works!

Again thanks a million

Didnt work I'm afraid!

:(

Advertisement