Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Valencia!

Options
  • 14-07-2010 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm planning on moving to Valencia and just wanted a bit of advice regarding a few things.

The first one is accommodation, does anybody know of the best places to search for accommodation from here (ie. websites)? I don't know what the price range is like over there, but I have a fair bit saved up just in case.

I also wanted to know about learning Spanish and classes - this could probably be answered by anybody who has been to Spain!

I have been looking at various websites for different schools, and it looks as though Babylon Idiomas is the best one I can find, though if anyone has any advice on whether to check out a different school or to try and find a one-on-one tutor? I'm not sure which would best help, I'm starting basically from scratch, but I think socially would be better to go into a class - what do you think?

Any advice is great advice! Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Cianan2 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I'm planning on moving to Valencia and just wanted a bit of advice regarding a few things.

Hope you don't mind me answering, I'm in the process of moving to Spain as well (Valladolid) so might be able to help you a bit.
    The first one is accommodation, does anybody know of the best places to search for accommodation from here (ie. websites)? I don't know what the price range is like over there, but I have a fair bit saved up just in case.

Check out websites like loquo.com and idealista.com, they're pretty good and seem to be pretty legitimate. I found my place on loquo, happy out.
    I also wanted to know about learning Spanish and classes - this could probably be answered by anybody who has been to Spain!

I have been looking at various websites for different schools, and it looks as though Babylon Idiomas is the best one I can find, though if anyone has any advice on whether to check out a different school or to try and find a one-on-one tutor? I'm not sure which would best help, I'm starting basically from scratch, but I think socially would be better to go into a class - what do you think?

Ok, I can't help you so much here because I already speak Spanish, but it shouldn't be hard to get lessons. You could also do an intercambio (exchange) with a Spanish student who wants to learn English, although if you have aboslutely no Spanish, maybe you'd be better doing classes for a few months and then intercambio to increase your fluency.

Not sure if this will apply to you (as in not sure if you'll be working) but if you're working or you want a Spanish mobile phone AS FAR AS I KNOW (and I'm saying this because I'm open to correction on the phone thing), you'll need a DNI (like our PPSN) and a Spanish bank account.

Also in Valencia, they speak a dialect known as Valenciano which is a bit like Catalan (i.e. not similar to Spanish) so it would be wise to check out if it is spoken where you're headed.

I'm moving to Valladolid in September so if you haven't moved over by then, give me a shout and I'll let you know any other things about moving to Spain that you should know, because as I already said, I'm just in the process of moving over myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Hi Folks,

Right, accomodation will be easy to get. Plenty of apartments around. When i lived there, i ;ived with 3 others and our rent was €165 per month per person for a 4 bedroom apartment. I still have friends over there who are paying less now that the recession has hit.

The most one of my friends pays is €220 per month, including internet, digital tv etc.

(Word of advice... BE CAREFUL! We saw plenty of apartments and when we finally decided on one, the landlady lied to us. The told us our block was full of students so we wouldnt be hassled for making noise etc. Not the truth, not a student in site and we always had people knocking on our door telling us not to have the TV on after 10 o clock (seriously). Also, the place had cockroaches which she never got rid of AND the cooker broke after a week and she never fixed that either. Then when we left she never returned our deposit. You're foreign, if they can take advantage of you, they will)

My advice would be to try live somewhere on or around "Blasco Ibanez", the main thoroughfare in Valencia City. It is close to EVERYTHING. if you do live close to here, you will be around the corner from the Mestalla stadium, which leads into the next part of your post........

There is a language school right beside the stadium. They will give you an apptidude test and put you in an appropriate class. The classes are hard work but worth it ( i didnt take them myself, but friends did). The prices are very good too.

Valencia is an incredible place to live, i loved every minute of it and am moving back to Spain this year. You won't regret it!

If you have any questions or anything give me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Dannyboi3k

Are you moving on your own? I'm thinking of moving back to Spain myself too around Sept/Oct

Advertisement