Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carers Allowance

• 14-07-2010 12:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,995 ✭✭✭

I recently got turned down for carers allowance for my grandmother and am wondering whether to appeal or not. They said i wasnt doing it full time. I told them i live across the road and go over 9 until half 11. Go home for an hour get lunch and go back over from 12.30 until 2.30. Go back then at 3 until half 5 or 6. I do it 6 days a week take sunday off to go out for a few drinks for the football.

My grandmother had 2 heartattacks in the last year and since applying 6 months ago she had an operation on her leg and would find it very difficult to do house work or go to the shop and lives alone. They dont know about the operation on her leg.

Im not applying for work at the moment until i find out about if i will get the carers allowance or not. Im considering going back to college in September, unless i get the carers allowence but i dont know if i should say in the appeal im not trying for work at the moment, incase they cut me off job seekers allowance. Also i have a finance degree and i had no luck the last year in getting a job. If i take the next year off not going back to do my masters and caring for my Nan without getting the carers allowance it looks like i have not done anything, so if dont get the allowance im going to go back to college or start applying for jobs again.

The longer it goes without a job the harder its going to be to get a job so i need to make a decision soon. At least if i have the carers allowance it shows i was doing something. Does anybody think their is even anypoint appealing the decision. I think the reason i didnt get it is because im only 22.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

In order to be entitled to a Carer's Allowance:
    You must be living with, or in a position to provide full-time care and attention to a person in need of care who does not normally live in an institution. However, you may continue to be regarded as providing full-time care and attention, if you or the person being cared for is undergoing medical or other treatment in a hospital or other institution for a period not longer than 13 weeks.
    You must be resident in the State
    You must not live in a hospital, convalescent home or other similar institution
    You must be at least 18 years old and
    You must not be engaged in employment, self-employment, training or education courses outside the home for more than 15 hours a week. During your absence, adequate care for the person requiring full-time care and attention must be arranged.

Those are the rules for Carer's Allowance from www.welfare.ie - from the above it doesn't sound like you are providing full time care and attention - who is caring for her from 6pm to 9am?

Also if you are currently not looking for work you do not have an entitlement to Jobseeker's allowance and you are claiming fraudently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Hermit07

I get carers allowance but my job is 24/7 minding the person being cared for. There is certainly no day off for drinks to watch the football, there is no break time either. I am often socially isolated and I dont think Im the exception to the rule either.

If I was you I would definitely apply to go back to college in September

Advertisement