Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike Fit question

• 14-07-2010 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Just a quick question regarding frame sizing, I'm six foot tall (184cm exactly) and have an inseam of 94cm, should I go for a 56 or 58cm frame?

Thanks again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Just a quick question regarding frame sizing, I'm six foot tall (184cm exactly) and have an inseam of 94cm, should I go for a 56 or 58cm frame?

Thanks again

It depends on the exact bike, but I would suggest 58, and I'm about those measurements, but impossible to say without seeing the frame you want

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

Thanks tiny was just looking to be reassured about it, prob gonna get a boardman comp if that makes any difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

The bike fit calculator here is worth a read even if you ultimately decide that you don't agree with any of their methodologies (there are several others to choose from too). Finding the right sized frame is a lot less clear-cut than you might imagine, but having said that once you get in the right ballpark of frame size for you you can then fine tune it by your choice of stem length, crank length, etc.

And though it is largely targeted at people that make you seem small, this discussion of why tall bikes often handle poorly is also an interesting read, as a slight tangent to your question. Again though, there are assumptions made in some of the reasoning applied there that not everyone will agree with, particularly the question of whether KOPS (Knee Over Pedal Spindle) is really important or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

you sound like you have extraordinarily long legs, are you sure 94cm is correct? is it 84cm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

top tube length and torso measurements are more important when considering frame size, imo. I am 179cm with 88cm inseam (forgot my torso measurement). I ride a 55cm standard geometry frame with a 10cm stem. If I was to go by inseam then I need a 57cm frame. Test ride first

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I have a 58 and Im slightly smaller than you 181. Its just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

Thanks for all the replies lads, think I will go for the 58cm pending a test ride, had a tester on a friends 56 and it just felt too small.

Thanks for all the replies lads, think I will go for the 58cm pending a test ride, had a tester on a friends 56 and it just felt too small.

Small ones are nippier/lighter so better for climbing on.... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Best to try and go for the one that feels right. I am 6ft (although only ~182.88cm :)) and ride 58 in all my road bikes. Inseam is substantially less though at 33.75". You need to measure this in cycling socks to a book stuffed up your crotch; it is different than your trouser leg measurement.

blorg wrote: »
    Best to try and go for the one that feels right. I am 6ft (although only ~182.88cm :)) and ride 58 in all my road bikes. Inseam is substantially less though at 33.75". You need to measure this in cycling socks to a book stuffed up your crotch; it is different than your trouser leg measurement.

I prefer to cradle the book between my legs, rather than stuff it up -your way sounds like you're trying to smuggle it into a jail cell...

• Advertisement
Advertisement