Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting outta here

• 14-07-2010 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

So it has come to the point me and one of my best friends have made the decision to get out of Ireland and move to New York. What we havent a clue about is gettig visas, I hear you must have a job already before you can get a greencard, but how would you get a job before you get there?

Would anyone here be willing to lay out the steps for this process? It pretty much going to be the start of a new life for us and is the most important choices of our lives!

Thanks,

MB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Do you have degres in science or another highly sought after field? If not, you can pretty much forget it (unless you win the DV lottery).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Your best chance would be to save up some money, fly over for a month or two on the Visa Waiver Program (like a holiday visa - 3 months max) and search for jobs. Spend time there to get interviews, gather up contacts, research areas, travel and just get to know exactly what you want to do and what you can do.

Also, to mention, you cannot work a day during this 3 month period, but there is nothing stopping you from going to interviews and meetings and what not. As long as you can support yourselves.

Finally, if the company will sponsor you, you're set. (You really have to impress to get this!). You'll fly home, get your visa, fly back and start working. The H1B visa is for 3 years (ASAIK) and if you have two back to back (i.e. 6 years) then you can apply for a green card and permanent residency.

*If I have made a mistake can someone please correct me, I'm talking from memory here, thanks*

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

lil_lisa wrote: »
    Your best chance would be to save up some money, fly over for a month or two on the Visa Waiver Program (like a holiday visa - 3 months max) and search for jobs. Spend time there to get interviews, gather up contacts, research areas, travel and just get to know exactly what you want to do and what you can do.

Also, to mention, you cannot work a day during this 3 month period, but there is nothing stopping you from going to interviews and meetings and what not. As long as you can support yourselves.

Finally, if the company will sponsor you, you're set. (You really have to impress to get this!). You'll fly home, get your visa, fly back and start working. The H1B visa is for 3 years (ASAIK) and if you have two back to back (i.e. 6 years) then you can apply for a green card and permanent residency.

*If I have made a mistake can someone please correct me, I'm talking from memory here, thanks*

Good luck!

You're pretty much correct, H1b is not necessarily for 3 years but you are correct that the maximum is 6 before you must spend 1 year outside the US. You can't apply for a greencard, the employer must still sponsor it and they are under no obligation to do so.

Looking for work on the VWP is allowed but we really need more details from the OP before we can say any more. A degree (or a large time of professional experience) is a prerequisite for a H1B. Given that it's going to cost the employer upwards of 5k for the visa Silja is correct is saying that your skills better be pretty good before you have a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pistonsvox

See the thing is there's nowhere in Ireland to fully boost my skills or get long time professional experience in my area, ive talked to so many people from there who are doing the same thing as me and say it is the best place for it. If not, ill move to England, but its pretty much on the same boat as here. I have a Diploma, but I could push that to a degree if I wanted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

You could always consider Australia or Canada, they offer visas not specifically tied to graduation or a job.

• Advertisement

I may move to somewhere else I suppose and look for a degree. In the meantime ill check out the DV lottery, maybe ill be lucky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

And, I would recommend checking out Austin, Texas. I know that advice wasn't solicited but New York seems to be a beacon for a lot of people itching to move to the big city.

Austin has a lower cost of living. Hasn't had the same employment issues like the rest of the US. And, it is the live music capital of the United States.

http://austincitylimits.org/

http://www.austintexas.org/

And, I would recommend checking out Austin, Texas. I know that advice wasn't solicited but New York seems to be a beacon for a lot of people itching to move to the big city.

Austin has a lower cost of living. Hasn't had the same employment issues like the rest of the US. And, it is the live music capital of the United States.

http://austincitylimits.org/

http://www.austintexas.org/

??

He's not going anywhere unless he upskills or wins the DV lottery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

??

He's not going anywhere unless he upskills or wins the DV lottery.

Trust me, I caught that. But, I also caught the part about moving to New York. I thought that I'd take a moment to throw out an option for another fabulous city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

The only way to get sponsored by your employer is if he can prove he cant find an American to do the same job. Unless your a theoretical physicist or an astronaut that aint gonna happen with so many skilled people outta work.

Not that id endorse it, but you could always go illegal. Its risky since you have no social security, job protection, union support or health insurance, but if youre really REALLY desperate...

EDIT: Go over for 3 months, youll get used to the way of life and see if its for you, also you could meet a girl and get married so an (almost) instant greencard!

• Advertisement

Haha I dont think i'll risk that!:pac:

Ill go over for 3 months anyway to see what the buzz is, if im lucky happy days, if not, its off to another european country

pistonsvox wrote: »
    Haha I dont think i'll risk that!:pac:

Ill go over for 3 months anyway to see what the buzz is, if im lucky happy days, if not, its off to another european country

Sensible decision, life is getting very difficult for many illegals at the moment.

Just remember that to enter on the VWP you need a return ticket and you are limited to 90 days. Enjoy :)

Advertisement