Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Felt QX75 Hybrid

• 14-07-2010 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I've decided to take up cycling and can avail of the bike to work scheme. I know very little about bikes and was wondering if this Felt QX75 hybrid was a decent bike to purchase at €569

http://www.feltbicycles.com/Belgium/2010-Product-Catalog/Mountain/QX-Series/QX-75.aspx

I'm told it has a good gear system and also has disc brakes.

Would greatly appreciate any input or comments

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Look like a quality bike any time I've seen them in the shop. City cycles has a few of them down in Manor Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 NBW

Sounds good. Is Felt a well established brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Yeah felt is a well known and respected brand and that bike looks grand. However if you want more specific advice it might help if you gave us a few more details as to what you plan on using this bike for? Is it going to be mainly used for commuting, short leisure spins with the kids or are you joining a club or training for a charity cycle or sportive or something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bloke

I had a quick test spin on one of these today...

They're a nice looking bike and seem very well made, and components are decent for the price afaik.

I was comparing to a trek 7.3fx for about the same money and in the end went for the trek as it was noticeably lighter and felt (excuse the pun) better to ride. It feels more responsive and just suited me better. In saying that I would imagine the Felt would hold up to a bit more abuse - even offroad - and certainly feels very solid to ride.

The sales person suggested the Felt leans more towards MTB and the Trek towards road bike and that makes some sense to me.

One thing with the QX75 was the disc brakes were very effective. I'd never tried disc brakes before.

Hope this helps - probably best to take one for a short ride and see what you think. I went to Wheelworx in Liffey Valley and they have both Trek, Felt and a number of other brands - they were very helpful but not pushy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 NBW

Thanks for all the feedback.

I'm not buying the bike to join a club or for competition although I do hope to use it a fair bit for leisure trips on roads/tracks and for exercise at evenings and weekends.

I've also looked at a Giant which seems good value at €375 and appears to be slightly lighter than the Felt, although the Felt seemed a good solid build. Saw the Trek 7.2 too...lovely bike, nice and light but it had slick tyres for the road and I want something a little bit more versatile.

Is it worth going for a bike with disc brakes??...these seem make these bikes more expensive.
    Does the brand make much difference?
    Any recommendations on bikes???
    I want to buy a decent bike that will serve me well for a good few years.

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

NBW wrote: »
    Thanks for all the feedback.

I'm not buying the bike to join a club or for competition although I do hope to use it a fair bit for leisure trips on roads/tracks and for exercise at evenings and weekends.

I've also looked at a Giant which seems good value at €375 and appears to be slightly lighter than the Felt, although the Felt seemed a good solid build. Saw the Trek 7.2 too...lovely bike, nice and light but it had slick tyres for the road and I want something a little bit more versatile.

Is it worth going for a bike with disc brakes??...these seem make these bikes more expensive.
    Does the brand make much difference?
    Any recommendations on bikes???
    I want to buy a decent bike that will serve me well for a good few years.

Thanks in advance

I have a Trek FX 7.3 and am very happy - not taking anything away from the Felt. Don't worry about the tyres too much - you can change the tyres to whatever suits you and the best way to do this is to get the bike shop to do it for you so you can get a credit on the unused ones as supplied.

Disk brakes continue to work perfectly even if the wheel is slightly buckled and are also better in muddy conditions where they don't clog up so easily. They are heavier than rim equivalents but can offer better braking performance - but you may not need it; the guys doing the TDF don't have them and the last time I looked they weren't sticking their shoes out to slow down ;-)

Instead of specific makes, I recommend you look at bike types. Hybrids have many advantages but many - not me, yet - quickly come to the conclusion that they would prefer a road bike (aka "racer"). The problem with road bikes however, is that they are optimised for speed and are not always practical. Take for example my cycle to work today. On my - mudguard-equipped FX 7.3 - I was able to cycle inbetween showers on wet roads without having a lovely line of muck up my back; many road bikes don't have enough clearance for mudguards. On the other hand, what about your first fitness trip when you are pushing it a bit but still get trashed by the boys in their road bikes? If you are like me you'll be thinking that you could have had them if only you didn't have all the weight that your practical wheels comes with (ok, I only think this for a while, then I realise the reason they overtake me is because I'm cr@p).

There is an "inbetween" bike type called a cyclocross. It's a racer with knobbly tyres and a frame that has enough clearance for mudguards. Some even come with disk brakes. An example would be the Giant TCX 2.

There is also the Trek Portland which is a "commuter racer". Just made this up - infact, I don't know what class of bike it is, but it might suit your requirements, albeit a bit on the pricey side :-(

decisions, decisions ...

Advertisement