Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mayo county nickname

Options
  • 14-07-2010 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

quick trivia question i want to confirm with the mayo faithful.

sligo is the yeats county, kerry is the kingdom.
    what is mayo?
    i looked it up and i get the maritime county\the heather county.
    can anyone confirm which is correct?
    anyone know what the Rosocommon one is aswell?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Soft and craggy bogland

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Ya generally known as the 'heather county' though 'header county' might be more appropriate. Have also heard it referred toa s the 'yew county'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

IN the dim and distant past Galway people used to say " Mayo God help us" I think that went back to famine times.

That phrase seems to have died out around the time Mayo won the All Irelands in 1950 and 51.

Don't know of any particular nick name, but would go with "heather county". "yew county" would be somewhat tautological

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

nuac wrote: »
    IN the dim and distant past Galway people used to say " Mayo God help us" I think that went back to famine times.

That phrase seems to have died out around the time Mayo won the All Irelands in 1950 and 51.

Don't know of any particular nick name, but would go with "heather county". "yew county" would be somewhat tautological

How about the bottlers county considering performances at Croke Park

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

In relation to their performances in Croke Park, it could be described as the "calving county".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

What's tautological?

:confused:

Lucky we are on boards as I don't think I can pronounce it either! :cool:

Finiskiln

tautological - from Greek to auto logos = the same word

Mayo from Muigheo or Maigheo = Plain of the yews, so calling it the yew county would be repetition.

Would go with "heather county" as we have more heather than yews, especially since sheep numbers on the hills have fallen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

I learned something yew today...that can't be bad. Not sure if I'll be using it anytime soon though! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

In relation to their performances in Croke Park,

we came 2nd more than a few times, yew know... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

westtip wrote: »
    How about the bottlers county considering performances at Croke Park
    Well at least we can get to Croke park:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 mccloud333

Heather County

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

"Mayo, God help us"

Seems to be a popular one, well its used by Galway/Roscommon people a bit.

Think the phrase comes from the famine when Mayo was one of the worst places in the country to feel its effects.

Western Zulu

I mentioned this already above - havent heard MGHU much in recent times. There is a rather unkind riposte to Roscommon people.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Anything to do with sheep, by any chance nuac???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

dec25532 wrote: »
    Anything to do with sheep, by any chance nuac???

Nah, you're thinking of the sheep stealers...aka roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

"Mayo, God help us"

Seems to be a popular one, well its used by Galway/Roscommon people a bit.

Think the phrase comes from the famine when Mayo was one of the worst places in the country to feel its effects.

Have only heard this in serious relation to our fair county but the folks in college would call it a "bog-hole" :confused: don't know where that come from in our over populated county :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

mayo are the rhubarbs

roscommon the sheepstealers

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

rossie1977 wrote: »
    mayo are the rhubarbs

roscommon the sheepstealers

it was only ever roscommon people i heard saying that.....rhubarbs

Never heard of "rhubarb" until I saw this post, and I am a long time around.

Advertisement