Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop is extremely slow to start

• 14-07-2010 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi,

I have a laptop for quiet some time (about 4+ years) and its been quiet good (Compaq Presario V6000). I have a lot of documents on the laptop, and I think it may be effectings is productivity. When I start the machine, and after I enter teh password, it takes about 15-20 secs to launch the desktop screen. First it will turn the screen white, and then I can get access to the desktop. :mad:

The C drive reads: space used= 40.7 and space free=- 65.8GB; Total size=106GB

The D drive reads: 4.25GB used; 942MB free; capacity= 5.17GB

:confused:

I run AVG anti-virus and Ad-ware.

I also eliminated some of the start-up functions (applications that I do not require at start up), but this didnt make much improvements on the systems speed/efficiency :( :rolleyes:

Can any suggest what may be happening to the laptop - slowing it down.

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Try this program. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

When you run it select the tab that says everything. You can pretty much turn off everything that isn't from microsoft or your anti-virus program. Thats what i did anyway and my laptop starts up way faster now.

Oh yeah, obviously don't turn off the touchpad and keyboard, graphics card, all that important stuff either. You will find loads of things are loading up that you don't really need though.

Maybe defragment your hard drive too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Noel_

Thanks for that - I will try this and let you know how I get on ;)

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

15-20 is good load time, if it takes any longer than 30 seconds I`d look into it, but that load time is fine!

As far as optimization programs, there`s loads out there and they all do pretty much the same thing, just depends on what you want done.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Fistycuffs

I came across a tip yesterday that I found made a noticable increase in speed on my laptop . It was easy so it might be worth a try. It's also completely reversable if you don't think it helps.
    I particularly found the bit about increasing virtual memory helped.
    It's here:
    http://tech-tips-ireland.blogspot.com/2010/01/free-performance-increase-for-your.html

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fulhamc

download ccleaner, good free product, when installing refuse free toolbars etc and run it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Tune-up utilities, ASC, Spy Bot S and D, There`s loads

Advertisement