Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Henry signs for Red Bulls

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I find it funny that Red Bulls had to tell their fans how to pronounce his name on their official site.

http://www.newyorkredbulls.com/news/2010/07/new-york-red-bulls-sign-international-star-thierry-henry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I thought it was Salzburg he had signed for when I read the thread title.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ Why a loser young man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Should have gone to Chicago Bulls....would be better at basketball imo :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

This signing is going to make the MLS the number one sports league in the USA for sure. There will be no talk of Wade, Bosh and LeBron now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Nice final pay-day for a player who's been going downhill since he left Arsenal. Wenger is great at spotting when it's time for a player to be moved on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Surprised a premership team maybe a mid table club did not come in for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They probably did, but Henry will make more money in the US. He'll be on serious wages and his sponsorship profile will be raised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

They probably did, but Henry will make more money in the US. He'll be on serious wages and his sponsorship profile will be raised.

that and it's not a bad way to wind down your career. Spend the last few years in the most amazing city in the world, where you'll be relatively unrecognised in most of it, getting paid handsomely and playing football at a decent if not world class standard.

not a bad way to spend a few years if you ask me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I think he still has a lot to offer at the top level, not like him not to stick out his hand when theres money on the table though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Nice final pay-day for a player who's been going downhill since he left Arsenal. Wenger is great at spotting when it's time for a player to be moved on.

So are Barca\Pep to be fair.

They got a CL out of him and 2 Liga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Hmm Angel and Henry up front. Red Bulls are looking good. Although they were shíte last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Being friends with Steve Nash, I half expected him to wind up in Vancouver. His career at the top of European football was evidently over by Christmas. The money he stands to make over there is substantial...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

dollar-signs1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Best of luck to him. As an Arsenal fan I have nothing but respect for him for all the great years he gave us. He'll be back as the centre of attention again in New York which is where he loves being though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Since when have New York Red Bulls have become so big/well known/famous/whatever that one can presume we're not talking about Salzburg when just throwing the term 'Red Bulls' out there:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Boskowski wrote: »
    Since when have New York Red Bulls have become so big/well known/famous/whatever that one can presume we're not talking about Salzburg when just throwing the term 'Red Bulls' out there:confused:

And when have Salzburg become such a footballing force that it would automatically apply that they were the team in question?

Stop being pedantic tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Good for the league over there, and good for Henry aswell. Don't care what anyone says but I still think the man is a genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

cson wrote: »
    Stop being pedantic tbh.

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww

sorry Sir, I shall no longer be pedantic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I go to about 10 or so NY Red Bulls matches a year and this has been the worst kept secret for about a year now. He's been coming over the NY for the last 2-3 summers. Latest rumour is Rafa Marquez will be joining as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Red bull gives you wings......so theres no need for hands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

GetAttachment.aspx&hm__qs=file%3d6a35a2b9-2ed9-4058-8174-4e0c7bbc8eed.jpg%26ct%3daW1hZ2UvanBlZw_3d_3d%26name%3dMDgyMTQ0NTAuanBn%26inline%3d1%26rfc%3d0%26empty%3dFalse%26imgsrc%3dcid%253a4__%253d0FBBFDF3DFA60BF98f9e8a93df938%2540ad.aib.pri&oneredir=1&ip=10.13.160.8&d=d1150&mf=0&a=01_cb3c0e8ae8b1b2702b010e06d63cff2719bba4b4ebe7f2a56caa5a1d3e94d363

Thierry An Mhí

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

What has Arsenal won since Henry left. Anelka has done alright for himself since he left. Wenger is so good he even re-signs guys nearly 40 like Sol Campbell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

Warper wrote: »
    What has Arsenal won since Henry left. Anelka has done alright for himself since he left. Wenger is so good he even re-signs guys nearly 40 like Sol Campbell.

Since Henry left? about the same as they won the last two years he was there.

Anelka? Took him a long time. he flopped in madrid, and spent a long time playing with sub-par clubs like Bolton, Liverpool and that turkish lot. And we got a state of the art training ground out of his transfer fee.

Signing campbeel was an inspired decision, to be fair. No one expected him to perform as he did towards the end of the campaign. He wasn't the answer to the problem, but was far better than people gave him credit for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭JJ

I wonder if sales of Red Bull are going to plummet here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

JJ wrote: »
    I wonder if sales of Red Bull are going to plummet here in Ireland.

Well I don't know about you but I'm certainly setting up a facebook page imploring people to boycott Red Bull. Is there a Red Bull embassy?

the jersey is quite nice, think I'll have to get one

yhst-15409747194339_2113_14300650

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

So what big shots are playing in teh MLS now?

Henry
    Beckham
    Ljungberg
    Donovan

Special mention to Darren Huckerby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Roar wrote: »

Yeah, it is decent alright, as is the away one. I started to look out for their results after I was in NY a couple of months ago. It'll be interesting to see how they get on with Angel and Henry up front. He is going to be earning a tidy sum, living in one of the best cities, and relatively anonymous (in the overall scale of things). Its win-win for both parties.

I think Henry will turn out to be a handy player for them.

......I'll get my coat?....What? No time for my coat? Fine, I'll just go. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Revolution shirt is way cooler imo.

Adidas-NewEnglandRevolution-HomeJersey-2008-2010-270636-1.jpg

Galvasean wrote: »
    So what big shots are playing in teh MLS now?

Henry
    Beckham
    Ljungberg
    Donovan

Special mention to Darren Huckerby

Danny Earls... former Wicklow Rovers player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Is his debut against spurs at the weekend ?

there's some class shirts in the MLS alright. I have a san jose earthquakes one which is just

Adidas-SanJoseEarthquakes-AwayJersey-2009-2010-1.jpg

simple, classy, to the point. i like it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

He would have only signed for one club imo, one day he will come home I hope, until then I am now going to start following US Soccer, Come on The Red Bulls :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I think West Ham made a move for him and were offering him 100k a week wage. I say when he was told he had no future with France that cleared up his decision and settled for a nice life in a great city with relative anonymity.

• Advertisement

Saying he will be playing in anonymity isn't true, most Americans that are into football (soccer) watch the EPL and LL, and it was the top story on ESPN. I'd say he will be recognized all the time over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Nice

Bell-Jersey-500x500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

tolosenc wrote: »
    Being friends with Steve Nash, I half expected him to wind up in Vancouver. His career at the top of European football was evidently over by Christmas. The money he stands to make over there is substantial...
    Unfortunately the Vancouver Whitecaps aren't int he MLS for another season yet, I seriously doubt Henry would go so low as to join them in the bull**** USSF Division 2. Anyway I'm happy out, next season I'll get to hurl abuse at him from the stands :)

sprinkles wrote: »
    Unfortunately the Vancouver Whitecaps aren't int he MLS for another season yet, I seriously doubt Henry would go so low as to join them in the bull**** USSF Division 2. Anyway I'm happy out, next season I'll get to hurl abuse at him from the stands :)

You should be counting your lucky stars you are getting to see him play in the flesh, best player I have ever seen play :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Saw him a couple of times in his prime, undoubtedly a great players, although caused me many a heartache for both Arsenal and France! I'll take this opportunity to hurl abuse me thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

This jersey looks like someone should be wearing it in the Tour De France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Warper wrote: »

Im not an Arsenal fan, but I cant remember the last time I heard such sh!te

1.Only once since leaving Arsenal has Anelka scored more league goals in one season then he did in his final season with Arsenal. And thats having played for top teams in poorer leagues (Fenerbahce & PSG) as well as top sides such as Chelsea, Real Madrid & Liverpool

Arsenal also made aprofit of around £20 mill on him

2. In the six years prior to Henry leaving Arsenal, he scored more each season (bar his final season when he missed quiet a bit), then he ever managed in one season for Barcelona.

Also, in terms of transfer fees, Arsenal made a profit of what £8m? I dunno did he got to the US on a free, but if thats the case Barca lost about £18mill on him in the three years after signing him

3. Sol Campell is a player Wenger knew, who knew the club well, and was available for free on a short term deal. As Arsenal needed cover, I think it was a good move. Its similar IMO to Ferguson signing Larsson that time, it wasent a long term solution, but an effective and cheap stop-gap solution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

that and it's not a bad way to wind down your career. Spend the last few years in the most amazing city in the world, where you'll be relatively unrecognised in most of it, getting paid handsomely and playing football at a decent if not world class standard.

not a bad way to spend a few years if you ask me..

He's not dying is he!?

sprinkles wrote: »
    Saw him a couple of times in his prime, undoubtedly a great players, although caused me many a heartache for both Arsenal and France! I'll take this opportunity to hurl abuse me thinks.

Was blessed to see him play regularly in his prime for Arsenal, we will never have a player as good as him imo, a very very special player, would love to meet him one day and thank him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

He didn't go to the PL because of loyalty to Arsenal.

I believe that and i'm now sticking my fingers in my ears because of the next comment.

Best player to grace the PL.

There i'm done finish off that career in style titi, you have earned it my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

As U.S. football writer Sean Wheelock said on the radio last night, some of these big name player like playing over there at the end of their career, because they are usually not pestered by people, when away from the pitch.

Maybe Henry will find this too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Apparently thats why Ronnie O'Brien went over anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

gonna get to see him and angel next month when they play toronto hopefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

SDTimeout wrote: »

Best player to grace the PL.

not even the best player to play at arsenal in the PL years to be fair

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Helix wrote: »
    not even the best player to play at arsenal in the PL years to be fair

He is, closely followed by Bergkamp.

Anyways, hope he's successful there, a true legend to me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement