Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing in Galway(?)

Options
  • 14-07-2010 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

So everyone has heard of the surfing hotspots off Clare, Mayo, Donegal and Kerry etc. but what about Galway? I'd like to do it there as my sister lives there.

Was thinking of surfing in Inishbofin or is that a bad idea? I've done surfing a few times before but i'm a bit rusty now. Would i be better going somewhere else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

There's nowhere really worth trying within an hour of Galway city. Silverstrand/Spiddal and the like might work once in a blue moon, in exceptional conditions, but I wouldn't waste my time trying tbh. Can't vouch for Inisbofin though, maybe someone can correct me there.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SL10

Is there anywhere to rent boards in Galway?

SL10 wrote: »
    Is there anywhere to rent boards in Galway?

No, there's no surf in Galway worth speaking of. Fanore would be the closest spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

There is definitely nothing in the county of Galway for the novice or even intermediate surfer. There are a few places that break in very good conditions, but mostly offshore reefs.
    Lahinch and Fanore are within easy reach of Galway City. Carrownisky in Mayo ould be the next closest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I've heard talk of a spot out on the peninsula beyond Ballyconneely, but haven't visited myself.

Quicker trip from Galway city to the West Clare spots at the end of the day.

I drove back from Spanish Point the other night in 1hr 15min via Ennis. With the opening of the motorway in the late Autumn, that might be just over an hour to SP/Lahinch. Quite acceptable for midweek trips.

The road through Kinvara to Fanore is winding and frustrating. I find myself mentally sapped from the drive as I unstrap my board!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

topper75 wrote: »
    I've heard talk of a spot out on the peninsula beyond Ballyconneely, but haven't visited myself.

But yet you still fell the need to tout it on a internet forum???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The OP asked about surfing in Galway. I posted a reference to the only surfing beach I am aware of in the county in response.

A huge percentage of this website is about people asking for information and others volunteering it. Your use of the verb tout is a little spurious. Care to explain your issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

Your sending a person of unknown ability to a beach you've never been to....

Just strikes me as wrong on a whole range of levels.

But then I am one of the crazies that feels there's already too much information being spoon fed to the masses. If you want to know about surfing in a area, buy a map, look at the charts and go look.

topper75 wrote: »
    The OP asked about surfing in Galway. I posted a reference to the only surfing beach I am aware of in the county in response.

A huge percentage of this website is about people asking for information and others volunteering it. Your use of the verb tout is a little spurious. Care to explain your issue?

We have no rules against naming spots in the forum, he didn't "tout" anywhere, he didn't even name the location of the spot. Having said that, we would ask posters to be sensitive to the fact that some surfers don't like certain spots being named.

In the interests of love and peace and avoiding a big sh*tstorm, let's just leave it.

If you live in Galway City, there is defo no point in going all the way to the spot "touted" above. Lahinch, Fanore or Spanish Point will always be better, and closer. If you live in Clifden area, the the above mentioned spot is worth a look, but it is by no means a secret spot - at this time of year on a fine day there could be 100 people in the water in a bay that is about 80m wide. I've been there hundreds of times and would estimate I've had a half decent surf on less than 10 occasions - mind you I'm not very good.
    If you do go to this spot, be very aware of strong rip currents at either side of the narrow bay that will suck you out at high speed when the swell is up - a rising tide is much safer than a falling one.

• Advertisement

If you want to know about surfing in a area, buy a map, look at the charts and go look.

I agree with this. I have driven and walked almost every stretch of coastline from Barna to Westport over the years in search of beaches for surfing, Windsurfing and Kitesurfing. It has been a great experience and I have found some lovely spots - but also seems that I managed to miss a few also - the search goes on.

Advertisement