Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Draft Match Nine: titan18 v Voltwad

• 14-07-2010 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

Penultimate first round match.

Winner? 10 votes

titan18
    0%
    Voltwad
    100%
    lordgoatGLaDOSLuckyLloydcurry-muffBigBenRoethMr. Guappatitan18x PyRobamboozlingPinturicchio 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

262kxlt.jpg

We’ll line out in a 4-4-1-1 come 4-2-4 formation. With Aguero as the Trequarista style attacker and the wide players covering a lot of ground. Them two are pacey so that wont be a problem.

Goalkeeper: Since his flop at Man United, Tim Howard has become one of the most reliable goalkeepers in the world. In 08/09 he shattered Neville Southall’s Everton record for most clean sheets in a season (16). He’s also captained Everton on occasion and will certainly command his area impeccably. He boasts 55 international caps to date for America and it takes some goalkeeper to keep Friedel and co. on the sidelines.

Defence: Fucile played Left Back for Uruguay in South Africa but he started as a right back and is equally adapt at playing there. He performed consistently for them throughout the tournament and is justifiably attracting the attention of bigger clubs. Assou-Ekotto had a solid season in a Spurs side that qualified for the Champions League. A talented player who’s openly admitted his mercenary status but that doesn’t go for his country, Cameroon who he takes pride in playing for despite originally coming from France. At Centre Back I’ve opted for Alex as my non World Cup player. He was outstanding this season for Chelsea and was a crazy omission from the Brazil squad. He’s also going to give me a good option from set pieces to go along with his sheer reliability. His partner is the no nonsense Slovakian, Martin Skrtel. The marshall of the defence that saw Slovakia qualify for the second round and the tough as nails hard man who arguably still has his best years ahead of him at only 25. I’m confident that my defence won’t concede too many.

Midfield: Yaya and Iniesta will have bags of experience playing together and it’s pretty clear what purpose they’ll both serve. Yaya Toure is up there with the best defensive midfielders in the world and he’s also apt at playing the ball out from deep. He will add to the torrid time that teams will have playing against my defence. His partner is the man who scored the winning goal in the World Cup Final and is my number one pick. Iniesta will run the show in the middle of the park for me and will be at the centre of most of my positive play. With those two in the middle of the park I will aim to control possession and use it actively. Out wide I’ve opted for two young and quick guys. Gervinho didn’t shine as much as I thought he would have in this World Cup but he’s certainly got it in him to frighten the heck out of the best full backs in the game. Elia featured intermittently for the Dutch on their way to a runners-up spot. He has currently amassed 13 international caps in total, and has scored two goals since making his debut back in September 2009. He’s also quickly become a fan favourite at Hamburg since his big money move there last year. These two wide players will have the ability to join the attack very quickly and pose a big threat to the opposition’s goal. As a midfield four, I see them anchored very well by Yaya Toure and Iniesta’s familiarity with one another. This should give the wide men the freedom to express their creative talent.

Attack: Aguero didn’t get too many opportunities for Maradona’s men this World Cup and will be looking forward to 2014. For Athletico, he is youthful, powerful, and deadly in attack. He’s not that far behind Messi in terms of ability and is ideal to take advantage of Shearer’s hold up play as well as creating something from nothing. Shearer was my legend’s pick. A pick that received a bit of criticism which is fair enough as he was robbed of a World Cup appearance in 1994 thanks to a San Marino goal :pac: and an early retirement from international football. However, he had a fantastic Euro ’96 and had a record of one in two for England. He did it at the highest level for over a decade and it will take some beating to emulate his scoring record. Shearer is the complete forward and there are not many better finishers than him. He will also lead from the front, wearing the captain’s armband.

I like the structure of my team as it has the ability to shapeshift during key points in the game. A variety of formations can be changed between, I have an absolutely solid foundation with my centre backs and central midfield pairings. I shall comment on titan18’s selection once I see his post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Voltwad
    1279125459251143.jpg

Goalkeeper:Samir Handanovic was probably Slovenia's best player in the world cup and over the qualification campaign.He only conceded 4 goals in 10 matches and was pivotal to their success against the Russians.He's tall,agile,good at saving penalties and his fantastic ability has led him to be linked to some of the finest clubs in Europe.Buffon rates him as one of the best keepers in Italy and the world aswell.

Defenders:Maicon is considered the best right back in the world.Fantastic in defense and attack, he'll provide some strong protection on the right side as Garrincha won't be asked to come back too often.On the left side,good luck to the attackers as I possess two of the finest left-backs in the world and probably the best two at the world cup as some of the bigger names failed to deliver.I didn't know much about Coentrao before the tournament, but he really impressed me with his quality in defense and his ability going forward, which you'd expect from a former winger.With games against Brazil,Ivory Coast and Spain, he faced plenty of tests but never once looked out of place.Ahead of him or ,whenever they swap, is Joan Capdevila.Capdevila isn't taken much notice of in the Spanish side but he always plays very well.He's made the position his own due to his fantastic crossing,experience and resolute defending.

In the centre of defense, I have the Uruguayan captain, Diego Lugano, and the Ghanaian captain,John Mensah.Lugano is the best player in the Uruguayan defense, he's a fantastic marker and great in the air, and his excellent reading of the game means he's rarely caught out.John Mensah was one of the best defenders in the world cup.His struggles with injuries this season put the tournament in doubt for him, but he played and was a rock at the back for Ghana.He seemed to have got better as the tournament went on as he was excellent against the US and Uruguay.Both my central defenders are really strong in the air and will be able to snuff out any aerial chances my opposition will try.

Midfield:My holding midfielder is Jeremy Toulalan.Toulalan is extremely consistent, and in a travesty of a French side, was one of their only good players.He'll never stop running and with his strong tackling and neat distribution, he'll provide the fulcrum for my defense and attack.Last season saw him play as a central defender for Lyon, so if I go a goal or two up,he can slot back there.I have another captain in front of him in Marek Hamsik.Hamsik is without doubt a very good player.His excellent passing and powerful shots have led to comparisons to some of the finest players in the game and rumours of big moves to the top clubs.He's very strong and won't be brushed aside easily.He has averaged a goal in just over every 3 games for Napoli and a goal in 4 internationally, so for a midfielder, he has a shown a keen eye for goal.He'll provide the platform for my raids forward with my attack.

Attack:My legends pick and main focus of my attack is the magnificent Garrincha.He's widely regarded as the best dribbler of the ball ever and will provide a constant headache to any defender.His remarkable ball control and ability to create something from nothing will be showcased in my side as he'll be given license to roam and torment the opposition.He was also able to turn on himself at top speed and explode at unusual angles, which he used to great effect. The numerous attacks and goal opportunities he generated through individual plays would often end up in an accurate pass to a teammate in a position to score.

Up front, I have two incredibly dangerous forwards in Edin Dzeko and Luis Fabiano.Dzeko is regularly linked with the world's best clubs due to his magnificent displays for club and country.He has 15 goals in 26 games for Bosnia and Herzegovina and 56 goals in 94 games for Wolfsburg.In a hard qualifying group with Spain and Turkey, he scored 9 goals in some excellent displays for the Bosnians.Džeko is an unselfish player who works hard for the team and has a keen sense of what is happening around him. He has the ability and presence of mind to bring his teammates into play, but is equally capable of being more direct if the situation demands it. He is quick, strong and skilful on the ball and possesses good movement in and around the box, and will punish any mistakes made by opposing defenders.Luis Fabiano has 28 goals in 43 games for Brazil, which is an excellent goalscoring record.Possessing strength, quick feet and a powerful, accurate strike, he will terrorise defenders with Dzeko beside him.He got 3 goals in the WC, and anytime the ball gets in or around the box to him, there'll be a danger to the goal.

Opposition and Tactics: I must admit that Voltwad has a good team.Howard is a keeper I like a lot and wished United had kept him on.His defense is there to be got at imo.Fucile is a player who was good for Uruguay but he's probably their weakest defender.I don't rate BAE at all.Skrtel and Alex are good players but I don't know if they'd work well together.His midfield is very good but I'd say it doesn't have the necessary strength to work well.Iniesta and Yaya Toure are good players, but they work alongside the magnificent Xavi at Barcelona, and Iniesta is a much more forward thinking player to just sit there and protect the defence, which will need to be done.Elia and Gervinho out wide are good players but neither shone in the WC, and Elia didn't play too often.Up front,he has Aguero and Shearer.Both are/were very good players, but Aguero didn't play too much in the WC, and that should be taken into account for the voting.Shearer was a good player but I felt it was a poor pick in the legends round with so many great forwards available.

I think my team would win this game.His wide players pose no threat at all to my defense with Gervinho up against Maicon, and Elia up against Coentrao.I'd reckon both my players would handle them easily, and with Capdevila and Coentrao interchaning a lot, Elia would have a hard time to do anything on that wing.Even if Aguero and Iniesta go out to help on the wings to supply Shearer, my defense would cope easily, as Toulalan would cover on one side with Maicon and Capdevila and Coentrao on the other,along with my aerially-dominating centre backs in Mensah and Lugano,Shearer would get very few chances.In midfield, I think my central pairing could out battle his, Toulalan and Hamsik are both very strong formidable players and despite his better passing skills, I reckon mine would come out on top.In my attack,Garrincha will have his defenders sh1tting themselves with his speed and ball control.The defenders won't know which way to turn and bar Yaya Toure in his midfield, they will receive little support to cover Garrincha, the onrushing Hamsik and my forwards in Dzeko and Luis Fabiano.I doubt that Alex and Skrtel would be able to contain my front two and I could see both having plenty of chances to convert thanks to Garrincha.

Captain:Lugano
    Vice Captain:Mensah
    Penalty Taker:Edin Dzeko,Luis Fabiano
    Free-Kick/Corner taker:Garrincha,Hamsik,Maicon,Fabio Coentrao

1279125459251143.jpg
    Goalkeeper:Samir Handanovic was probably Slovenia's best player in the world cup and over the qualification campaign.He only conceded 4 goals in 10 matches and was pivotal to their success against the Russians.He's tall,agile,good at saving penalties and his fantastic ability has led him to be linked to some of the finest clubs in Europe.Buffon rates him as one of the best keepers in Italy and the world aswell.

I don't think he has the stature you make him out to have. I saw him flinch at the ball when under pressure against the USA a few times, notably when Donovan challenged him. There is a mistake in him.
    Defenders:Maicon is considered the best right back in the world.Fantastic in defense and attack, he'll provide some strong protection on the right side as Garrincha won't be asked to come back too often.On the left side,good luck to the attackers as I possess two of the finest left-backs in the world and probably the best two at the world cup as some of the bigger names failed to deliver.I didn't know much about Coentrao before the tournament, but he really impressed me with his quality in defense and his ability going forward, which you'd expect from a former winger.With games against Brazil,Ivory Coast and Spain, he faced plenty of tests but never once looked out of place.Ahead of him or ,whenever they swap, is Joan Capdevila.Capdevila isn't taken much notice of in the Spanish side but he always plays very well.He's made the position his own due to his fantastic crossing,experience and resolute defending.

Apart from Maicon, you defence seems pretty ordinary to be fair. Coentrao isnt very physical and gets pushed off the ball quite often. With Gervinho and Elia alternating flanks, I'm confident that they could torment him all game. Maicon, while immense attacking wise, is light on the defensive part of his game and I feel that you're over-reliant on his big name with out realizing he could well leave you exposed at the back.
    In the centre of defense, I have the Uruguayan captain, Diego Lugano, and the Ghanaian captain,John Mensah.Lugano is the best player in the Uruguayan defense, he's a fantastic marker and great in the air, and his excellent reading of the game means he's rarely caught out.John Mensah was one of the best defenders in the world cup.His struggles with injuries this season put the tournament in doubt for him, but he played and was a rock at the back for Ghana.He seemed to have got better as the tournament went on as he was excellent against the US and Uruguay.Both my central defenders are really strong in the air and will be able to snuff out any aerial chances my opposition will try.

Decent CB pairing but there were many times this season when Sunderland were atrocious at the back and while he had a good time with Ghana this tournament, I feel that he's another vulnerable one.

Midfield:My holding midfielder is Jeremy Toulalan.Toulalan is extremely consistent, and in a travesty of a French side, was one of their only good players.He'll never stop running and with his strong tackling and neat distribution, he'll provide the fulcrum for my defense and attack.Last season saw him play as a central defender for Lyon, so if I go a goal or two up,he can slot back there.I have another captain in front of him in Marek Hamsik.Hamsik is without doubt a very good player.His excellent passing and powerful shots have led to comparisons to some of the finest players in the game and rumours of big moves to the top clubs.He's very strong and won't be brushed aside easily.He has averaged a goal in just over every 3 games for Napoli and a goal in 4 internationally, so for a midfielder, he has a shown a keen eye for goal.He'll provide the platform for my raids forward with my attack.

Toulalan was France's best player against Uruguay but he struggled badly against Mexico and South Africa to say the least. I don't see him providing immaculate cover to your back four. Hamsik is a talent, no doubt but I am confident that the game would pass him by due to the sheer quality of Toure and Iniesta.
    Attack:My legends pick and main focus of my attack is the magnificent Garrincha.He's widely regarded as the best dribbler of the ball ever and will provide a constant headache to any defender.His remarkable ball control and ability to create something from nothing will be showcased in my side as he'll be given license to roam and torment the opposition.He was also able to turn on himself at top speed and explode at unusual angles, which he used to great effect. The numerous attacks and goal opportunities he generated through individual plays would often end up in an accurate pass to a teammate in a position to score.

Up front, I have two incredibly dangerous forwards in Edin Dzeko and Luis Fabiano.Dzeko is regularly linked with the world's best clubs due to his magnificent displays for club and country.He has 15 goals in 26 games for Bosnia and Herzegovina and 56 goals in 94 games for Wolfsburg.In a hard qualifying group with Spain and Turkey, he scored 9 goals in some excellent displays for the Bosnians.Džeko is an unselfish player who works hard for the team and has a keen sense of what is happening around him. He has the ability and presence of mind to bring his teammates into play, but is equally capable of being more direct if the situation demands it. He is quick, strong and skilful on the ball and possesses good movement in and around the box, and will punish any mistakes made by opposing defenders.Luis Fabiano has 28 goals in 43 games for Brazil, which is an excellent goalscoring record.Possessing strength, quick feet and a powerful, accurate strike, he will terrorise defenders with Dzeko beside him.He got 3 goals in the WC, and anytime the ball gets in or around the box to him, there'll be a danger to the goal.

You're a threat up front, no doubt at all there. However, Toure in front of Alex and Skrtel would limit you largely to moments of brilliance and long range efforts. You also talk about an apparent weakness in relation to my full backs. Fucile was part of the same solid defence that Lugano was so it seems a bit hypocritical of you to slate him as a weak link. He played all 5 games in a side that reached the semi-final and his solid perfomances have rightly attracted the attention of big clubs in England and now more recently, Serie A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Voltwad
    Handanovic was magnificent against the Russians in the playoffs, and kept the Slovenians in the game in the first leg.If Buffon rates him highly,he's a good player, there's no way one of the best keepers in the world would rate him highly if he wasn't a good player.Coentrao showed nothing of being lacking in physicality in the WC games.Considering the players he played against in the tournament,he performed very well.Also,as this is judged on WC form too,Coentrao was the left back in the tournament and your pair of Elia and Gervinho didn't play well at all, and Elia barely played, I'd rate Coentrao much higher in this game.Also,no way is Maicon light on his defensive game,he's the best all round right back in the world,great in defense and attack.

Mensah struggled with injuries all this season, he only played the full game 6 times, and if you look at the results in where John Mensah played and when he didn't,Sunderland conceded less goals with him there and had better results. Here's an article about it http://salutsunderland.footballunited.com/2010/05/the-report-card-2-passing-the-mensah-test/

Toulalan was banned against South Africa as he had picked up two yellow cards so not sure what you're on about there, but he played very well in the first two games and in that French side,that's an achievement.

Fucile didn't play the first game against France, and was the worst player in the Uruguayan defense.He's not a bad player but he was helped out by being part of a good defense.Lugano and Godin in the middle are the strongest part of it, and Lugano played very well when he was there,and as captain,his influence in the Uruguayan backline is very important,and you could see how much he was missed when he was injured in the semi-final.

In the midfield battle,you do have the better quality players but in Toulalan and Hamsik, I have two very physically strong players who would easily be able to outmuscle Iniesta for example and deprive him of the chance to create.Iniesta is a much more attacking midfielder too as shown at Barcelona and Spain and would be more suited to playing further forward.I believe that with the way your midfield is set up,Yaya Toure would get isolated a lot and struggle to contain Hamsik's runs forwards, and Garrincha's movement behind my forwards.

Looks like I've snook through by one vote.

• Advertisement
Advertisement