Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessing the Blackberry Network

Options
  • 14-07-2010 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭

Was in Spain recently and all the 'suits' I met had Blackberry fones and one of the key features for them was free texts to/from other Blackberry users anywhere in the world as well as a limited amount of free calls to other B/berry users as well as a limited amount of free internet access.

They were at pains to point out that you need to set the fone up to access the B/berry network, which I assume is a bit of spectrum set aside, for a fee, by the big players.

I understand the same deal applied in South Africa.

I am told that these options are not available in Ireland and that the big players here wont give the free B/berry to B/berry text option.

Am I correct about the above?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Once you get the Blackberry tariff here, you *more or less* have unlimited browsing, unlimited email and the unlimited texts you are talking about are Blackberry Messenger

When you are on a Blackberry plan, you get to use Blackberry Messenger to other Blackberry owners and can type realtime to each other, like MSN Chat etc. This applies to ANY Blackberry phone anywhere in the world.

This is available with O2 and Vodafone, and I assume with 3 also, but I wouldn't say yes without confirming first

If you have any other questions, please work away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Thank u v much for the concise explanations:
    just looked at Voda and O2, the price plans are in NAMA land:)
    Cheaper to fly and talk F2F:)
    Kind regards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Oh, sorry. Did I misunderstand the question?
    Were you asking about roaming while abroad?
    If so, thats a whole other story!
    As for Blackberry, its about €15 or €20 per month and that gives you unlimited internet, email and Blackberry to Blackberry Messenger (at least while here in Ireland)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Not at all: the answer was perfect: the basic blackberry package from either o2 or Voda is about 40 plus VAT a month and even then it is not clear if the BBerry bit is included.

My current package, from mid 90's is 10 plus VAT so the jump is not a runner.

I wanted to be able to text some folk in US and SA but not at those numbers..
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 28,236 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Think 3's blackberry add on is 10pm it works over both 2 & 3G

• Advertisement
Advertisement