Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord uninterested in fixing anything.

Options
  • 14-07-2010 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

The flat where I currently pay rent has a broken backdoor and no oven.

I have informed the landlord of this, I told about, and showed him, the door when it was just a large crack. The large crack became a split, the split became half a panel fallen out, eventually the other half of the panel fell out so there is now a whole panel missing out of the backdoor. Further to this, I was going out to the washing line one day and the door frame came apart in my hand. The door now doesn't even close. I don't remember the exact date when I showed the landlord the door but it was before winter. I remember this as when the second half of the panel fell out it was around the time of the snow.

There is also no heating in the house. At all. There never was. There's a heater here but it hasn't ever worked. The landlord was also informed of this many times, he originally said "Leave it with me" then "Yep, I'll get that sorted" later "I'll be up to have a look soon" but that would be the end of it. Sometimes he would even name a day where he would arrive but the day would come and go with no sign of him. I know it's summer now but winter just gone was extremely cold and this helps to highlight his attitude to his tennants. No heating all last winter.

This is how he responds to all problems in the flat, the only thing he's ever fixed was the shower. I was amazed when he came up within 2 days to fix the shower. Then I found out why he was so anxious to come to the flat. He had an ESB and a Bord Gais bill, 10 months after signing the lease! I did ask "Why am I only receiving these now?" he claimed he forgot. The bills added up to over €500. I got a loan out of the Credit Union to help. Although I'm pretty sure the gas bill is a mistake as the only thing that runs on gas is the hob, and the gas bill was more than the ESB bill.

I haven't yet asked the PTRB or Threshold for official advice, and anyone I talk to about it says "Don't give him his rent until he fixes things." Some say "Don't give him any, that'll get his attention", whereas others say to "Just give him part of the rent, tell him he'll get the rest when the flat is returned to the standard it was when you moved in." Is that a road anyone else would go down? Withhold rent? Because so many people have advised that and I just feel uncomfortable doing so. The rent has been paid recently so I've got a few weeks to get advice and decide what course of action to take.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I haven't yet asked the PTRB or Threshold for official advice, and anyone I talk to about it says "Don't give him his rent until he fixes things." Some say "Don't give him any, that'll get his attention", whereas others say to "Just give him part of the rent, tell him he'll get the rest when the flat is returned to the standard it was when you moved in." Is that a road anyone else would go down? Withhold rent? Because so many people have advised that and I just feel uncomfortable doing so. The rent has been paid recently so I've got a few weeks to get advice and decide what course of action to take.

I wouldn't bother doing that and would just move out. There's no shortage of places around and why would you want to give a chancer of a landlord the money when you can give it to a decent one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

So you have 2 months left on your lease, get out of there. Make a complaint to the PRTB about the problem including the heating and the rest of the problems, take lots of pictures before you leave.

So wind and stuff can come in the back doot, there was no heating in the winter and the oven doesn't work ? This is an absolute disgrace, how did you manage over the winter :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Yeah, you're both right. It's not like I want to stay here, the house is so badly insulated that if the TV's on mute I can actually hear my upstairs neighbours getting a text!

The biggest obstacle to going somewhere else is the deposit. I'm struggling just to make rent, it'll be hard to scrape together deposit money. Because I don't hold any hope of getting my money back from this guy, I don't think he has it. He'll have to fix everything then, though, if he wants to rent it out. The backdoor at least. He may fob new tenants off about the oven like he did with the heat.
    RoverJames wrote: »
    So wind and stuff can come in the back doot, there was no heating in the winter and the oven doesn't work ?

On nice days it's the flies that come in. I do miss being able to cook a chicken or a big joint of meat.
    This is an absolute disgrace, how did you manage over the winter :(

I bought a Superser heater for €90 and gas cannisters every two weeks or so. But the kitchen was like a freezer all winter. I'm glad someone else thinks it's a disgrace that he didn't provide any heating over the winter, last winter was a nasty one, I was worried I might be overreacting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Your LL has certain obligations relating to the standard of accommodation he provides, and it sounds like he's falling short in many regards. You could complain to the PRTB or the council, who may inspect and order repairs. I sympathise with the issue of reclaiming your deposit.

I think you should call Threshold and ask for their help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

If he makes any noises about not giving back the deposit take it up with the PRTB, it might take time but from what you've said you're entitled to it.

Also as bulger said you should take it to the PRTB anyway as he is providing sub-standard accommodation

I'll probably have to stay here for a few more months, it'll take a few months to save up for a new place anyway. It's really hard to hand over so much money to him every month when I have no backdoor and no oven. It's a pity I care so much about doing the right thing when I'm not getting the same consideration in return.

This is genuinely awful, winter is not too far away :( You really really need to either get him to sort the backdoor, over and heating immediately or demand your deposit back. Do you pay your rent directly to him or by bank transfer ?

I was worried I might be overreacting.

You're not at all, the opposite in fact.

Do you pay your rent directly to him or by bank transfer ?

I pay through the bank. I think I'll send him a letter so there is written and dated proof that I've asked him to fix these things. He'll probably still ignore it but I'll have a bit more proof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Whats the deposit and whats the rent?

I would stop paying rent , tell him he will get it when all the problems are fixed. Hopefully you will have built up the value of the deposit in the mean time and then just leave. Steal what you can and say someone must have come in through the back door.

If he fixes things up quickly and you decide to stay instead tell him you are knocking money off the rent because you did not receive what you were paying for.

Hope it works out okay. Don't go soft on this **** stain, he has gotten away with too much already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

one thing to remember is that if you dont pay the rent the PRTB wont be happy with you regardless of the situation they always say you have to pay your rent even when your getting sick handing it over for a **** hole i know been there and done that
    with threshold if you cant get through to dublin office ring cork or galway get them to ring landlord on your behalf that may make him move his lazy backside keep notes on everything and pictures too
    also you can ring the council the health and safety division (i think) and they will arrange a date to come look at the place and then make the landlord fix it
    and remember that if he hasnt registered you with PRTB (you would have received a letter from them) then he is in some serious trouble as it will cost him big time
    dont know about your financial situation but if your on rent allowance then the CWO can help you out with a deposit
    it is so tempting to withhold rent as the only way to get through to these lowlifes is to hit them in their pockets i just made a complaint to my landlord and the cheeky fecker shouted down the phone at me so sick of greedy lazy LL wonder if its any better outside of Dublin??? anyone know

I have a place up the country, on my 2nd set of tenants at the mo, they were there a week and requested a remote control for the electric gates to the complex. I got one for them straight away, we're not all bastads.

Whats the deposit and whats the rent?

Both are in the 700's
    edellc wrote: »
    if he hasnt registered you with PRTB (you would have received a letter from them) then he is in some serious trouble as it will cost him big time

I thought he had as he brought me a form to sign, but I didn't recieve any letter from them. Maybe I should double check with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

The flat where I currently pay rent has a broken backdoor and no oven.

I have informed the landlord of this, I told about, and showed him, the door when it was just a large crack. The large crack became a split, the split became half a panel fallen out, eventually the other half of the panel fell out so there is now a whole panel missing out of the backdoor. Further to this, I was going out to the washing line one day and the door frame came apart in my hand. The door now doesn't even close. I don't remember the exact date when I showed the landlord the door but it was before winter. I remember this as when the second half of the panel fell out it was around the time of the snow.

There is also no heating in the house. At all. There never was. There's a heater here but it hasn't ever worked. The landlord was also informed of this many times, he originally said "Leave it with me" then "Yep, I'll get that sorted" later "I'll be up to have a look soon" but that would be the end of it. Sometimes he would even name a day where he would arrive but the day would come and go with no sign of him. I know it's summer now but winter just gone was extremely cold and this helps to highlight his attitude to his tennants. No heating all last winter.

This is how he responds to all problems in the flat, the only thing he's ever fixed was the shower. I was amazed when he came up within 2 days to fix the shower. Then I found out why he was so anxious to come to the flat. He had an ESB and a Bord Gais bill, 10 months after signing the lease! I did ask "Why am I only receiving these now?" he claimed he forgot. The bills added up to over €500. I got a loan out of the Credit Union to help. Although I'm pretty sure the gas bill is a mistake as the only thing that runs on gas is the hob, and the gas bill was more than the ESB bill.

There is legislation in this area - print this out and quote the relevant parts to him. Give him a deadline to have it fixed (2 or 3 days) or you'll report him to the PRTB and the Local Authority (who carry out inspections on private rented accommodation like your place - a phone call will be enough to get them out.)

Please note - Everything in bold is a DIRECT quote from legislation, I've included links to the two Acts as well.

http://www.environ.ie/en/Legislation/DevelopmentandHousing/Housing/FileDownLoad,19142,en.pdf

Please read Section 7 -

Heating Facilities

7. (1) Every room used, or intended for use, by the tenant of the house as
    a habitable room shall contain:

(a) a permanently fixed appliance or appliances capable of providing
    effective heating,

(b) suitable and adequate facilities for the safe and effective removal of
    fumes and other products of combustion to the external air.

(2) The operation of any appliance referred to in sub-article (1)(a) shall be
    capable of being independently manageable by the tenant.

Your unit also fails on Section 9 (Ventilation) as you have no control over opening and closing the hole in your back door!

Ventilation

9. (1) Every room used, or intended for use, by the tenant of the house as
    a habitable room shall have adequate ventilation.

(2) All means of ventilation shall be maintained in good repair and working
    order.

(3) Adequate ventilation shall be provided for the removal of water vapour
    from kitchens and bathrooms.

From the 1st December 2009 the following amendments were made to the above legislation:

http://www.environ.ie/en/Legislation/DevelopmentandHousing/Housing/FileDownLoad,21710,en.pdf

These new amendments change the definition of a "proper state of structural repair" as follows (please note that it includes "doors":

‘a proper state of structural repair’ means sound, internally and externally, with roof, roofing tiles and slates, windows, floors, ceilings, walls, stairs, doors, skirting boards, fascia, tiles on any floor, ceiling and wall, gutters, down pipes, fittings, furnishings, gardens and common areas maintained in good condition and repair and not defective due to dampness or otherwise.”,

You could also follow up to ensure that your landlord has the following:

“Fire Safety

11. (1) Subject to sub-article (2), the house shall contain a fire blanket
    and either a mains-wired smoke alarm or at least two 10-year selfcontained
    battery-operated smoke alarms.

(2) Each self-contained house in a multi-unit building shall contain
    a mains-wired smoke alarm, a fire blanket and an emergency evacuation
    plan.

(3) Emergency lighting shall be provided in all common areas within
    a multi-unit building.”

(Whole post)

Wow, thank you Bob, that's insanely helpful. :) I'm glad that I've started thinking about this now, when I have a few weeks before is the rent is due again.

Advertisement