Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Medical Card---how long does it take to get one?

• 14-07-2010 3:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭

I applied for mine well over a month ago and have yet to hear anything back. I rang my local Health Office and they had a recorded message stating they only take calls 9am-1pm.

So do any of you know, roughly what the waiting time is for receiving one?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭dave_t

I applied in February and still haven't received mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

it depends if they need more paperwork off you or not (and they usually take a few weeks to let you know thsi). My mam recently got hers after three weeks, after all the required documents were sent in. Hope that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Oops, I hit the lightbulb by accident there. i didn't think my post was that helpful!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

i applied beginning of nov last year and got it in april this year so nearly six months and the card is dated from march this year to march next :confused:
    only way i ended up getting it was to go into their office in dublin and ask them as they werent answering their phone they ended up giving me a letter to say it was approved and about two weeks later the actual card came

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

I rang today and was told there's a 13 week backlog.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭captainstacy

I applied online and had it within 10 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Applied in March, got the go ahead today, 5 mth turnaround. HSE website says you can now do it online and have your card in 15 working days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭sassychick

Just in case any1 doesnt know if you have a long term illness and require regular prescriptions u can get a letter from your doctor and this speeds up the process i got mine within 10 days..

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

I've just applied for a medical card and am entitled to one as I have no income at present and waiting for JSA to come through.

My question is that I have to go to the Dr this week and have to get a prescription(have a long term illness). Do I still have to pay for visit? or do I pay and then claim it back?

I didn't know I could apply for a medical card until recently.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Delays have been ongoing since processing the medical cards was centralised. You can get your GP to check the status of your application online now though. Minister Harney gave a guarantee of (I think) a 6 week turnaround last week (though obviously there is a mad backlog to clear).

S.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 skp120

It took mine four months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 skp120

notsobusy wrote: »
    I've just applied for a medical card and am entitled to one as I have no income at present and waiting for JSA to come through.

My question is that I have to go to the Dr this week and have to get a prescription(have a long term illness). Do I still have to pay for visit? or do I pay and then claim it back?

I didn't know I could apply for a medical card until recently.

as far as I know you have to pay. I applied for mine in feb and during that time had 5 doctors visits, lots of prescriptions, etc had to pay for it all myself

Ok Thanks Skp120!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I applied online and had it within 10 days.

Also applied on line, got the cards back in a week.

When you applied online did you have to bring the forms into your Dr and have them signed and then send them off?

Or did you just apply online and that was it!!

Advertisement