Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Help to organise Surprise Party

• 14-07-2010 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi, Im trying to organise my mum's surprise 60th Bday for end of August and dont have a huge budget but just spend last hr or so looking at weather predictions and the weather isnt promised the best:(. Ive so far 45 people coming and dont think they will all fit in the house if its raining. We have a back garden but patio is small enough so would need tables and chairs and maybe sheets plywood to put down on the grass.
    Due to recent circumstances i no my mum wouldnt like to go to a venue and have party there. Any ideas of where i might hire fairly cheapish marquee for the back garden and a caterer as the one i thought i was getting cant do it. Im only looking for finger food or if someone has other ideas for fancy food. Also does anyone know where i can get some really nice decorations.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I don't know where you'll get the marque, I guess you could contact 1 of the bouncy castle folks, they normally have stuff like that.

For finger food I'd recommend the Sherwood, nice good food at reasonable prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭finbarrk

If I were you I would forget about having it at home. It isn't worth the hassle, especially if the weather is bad.
    Price every venue in the area, they all want business now, you should get a good deal. Even just have baskets of chicken, sausages and chips and a few sandwiches. The guests won't care once they can get a few drinks.
    You will be at ease organising it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

friend of mine hired 2 small marquees for his 30th, and most of us were out the back of his house, it was great even tho it was pissing, got them from here

http://www.marquee-hire.ie/Marquee-Hire-Ireland.php

think he said 100 euros, dont remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭JoJo_27

I had your job this time last year, almost seems like deja vu. She didn't want a fuss, didn't want us to go out anywhere. We got mixed weather so managed to be in the garden for a while and inside later. We only provided wine, beer, tea and coffee. We got finger food from Yum! in the Market but one of the canapes was laced with chilli (not always ideal for the over 60's!) They did delicious chicken goujon type things though. Would recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭alibride

we got a marquee and bouncy castle off some ex guard and he put holes all over our tarmac!! not impressed

the sherwood or yum are the only 2 places i have eaten from at house parties and both were good, food heaven in the market does outside catering too but dunno what they are l like

best of luck - i have been there a few times and its not easy!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭quietone

Hi, Thanks for your posts. Ive decided that since i now have over 50 people that its better and probably safer to have it elsewhere beside home. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

BOBBY wrote: »
    friend of mine hired 2 small marquees for his 30th, and most of us were out the back of his house, it was great even tho it was pissing, got them from here

http://www.marquee-hire.ie/Marquee-Hire-Ireland.php

think he said 100 euros, dont remember

That website is a joke. Small operator who cannot in any way fulfill what he states. Steer clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭finbarrk

quietone wrote: »
    Hi, Thanks for your posts. Ive decided that since i now have over 50 people that its better and probably safer to have it elsewhere beside home. ;)

Good decision. Best of luck.

Advertisement