Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting out as a web designer? Need a reference site???

Options
  • 14-07-2010 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

I have an idea for a simple new business, have the domain name identified, and have copy for 3/4 pages. It's a simple concept - I just want a fresh and simple site.

I have no money for it though, so if you want a reference site for your new design business then let's talk! You can refer to my site and I'll even give you a reference!

In return I pay you... nothing. Yes, you've guessed it, I'm looking for a freebie. [What are my chances?!;)]

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

Mulberry wrote: »
    What are my chances?

Slim to none, also there's a separate thread for work request, not sure they'll entertain freebies there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Mulberry wrote: »
    I have an idea for a simple new business, have the domain name identified, and have copy for 3/4 pages. It's a simple concept - I just want a fresh and simple site.

I have no money for it though, so if you want a reference site for your new design business then let's talk! You can refer to my site and I'll even give you a reference!

In return I pay you... nothing. Yes, you've guessed it, I'm looking for a freebie. [What are my chances?!;)]

Thanks for reading.

Hey, can I get free stuff off your business when you set it up? You can use me as a customer reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Just some questions:

Do you need continuous support for this?

Do you already have the hosting arranged and the domain name bought?

Do you expect a flash website or just an actual simple site?

Do you have a logo or do you expect one to be created for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

lil_lisa wrote: »

This is misleading. "Just an actual simple site" as you call it is far, far better, more useful, infinitely better re SEO and iPhone compatibility, far easier to update and far better value in the long run.

And using jQuery and AJAX it can easily incorporate most of the functionality that makes people assume incorrectly that they need Flash.

Flash is suitable for online demos or individual interations.

It is not suitable for websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

You're in luck, I just completed one recently. You are welcome to it. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66920138&postcount=12 If the free website doesn't grab you there is other useful information there for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Yes, that's why I'm asking. A lot of businesses don't see the difference between simple websites with flash and simple websites without flash. I can make an extremely complex site and a basic site but I can't do anything with flash so I want to find out beforehand if it's expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Yes, that's why I'm asking. A lot of businesses don't see the difference between simple websites with flash and simple websites without flash. I can make an extremely complex site and a basic site but I can't do anything with flash so I want to find out beforehand if it's expected.

Fair enough, if that's what you mean, but it's not what came across from your original phrasing:

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

In response to your questions lil Lisa:

- I don't require ongoing support

- I do have hosting. I haven't purchased the domain name yet but it is available

- I do not want a Flash site

- I had forgotten about the logo - yes I will need one.

Many thanks
    Mulberry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Can you please put together a full spec and post it in the Work Wanted thread at the head of the forum? Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement