Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much does your toddler weigh?

Options
  • 14-07-2010 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭

This has been really bugging me as Bridget hasn't put on any weight in months and she has moved from the 50th precentile for weight and height to the 25th for weight and 75th or higher for height. So she's growing like a weed and out of her clothes but not putting on any weight :confused:

This has happened since I reduced breastfeeding at 12 months and she will not (and believe me I've tried) drink any cows or formula milk.

Now I know breastfed babies tend to be lighter than formula fed babies and both myself and my oh are tall. I feed her well and she has a good appetite. She gets plenty of calcium, iron etc. So it's not her diet. I've even been giving her sweets and chocolate lately to up her calorie intake. I still breastfeed her once or twice a day. She's just not gaining weight :(

I know she's not ill and the doctor would be happy with her health and progress. Accomplished walker, climber, runner and talker. I just want to know that it's normal within our parenting community :)

Anyway she's 17 months and 10.2 kilos

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

18 months,about 81cm and 10.8 kilos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

That's helpful as it's pretty similiar, I keep meeting all these giant babies and was getting paranoid. Bridget is about 82cm standing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My lo uses up so much energy runnig around and climbing on everything that despite eating non stop she has only put on 5lb in a year and is perfectly healthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

Mine is 10 months,80cm,10.5 kg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

My friend's toddler is exactly the same, 16 months, 85th percentile in height and has just passed the 20lbs mark (9.1 kg). They've been weighing her recently as they wanted to turn her car seat to forward-facing which she had to be 20lbs for. She's a happy kid who eats loads but is always running around the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I have a monster baby and worry about him being too big! He's 11 months, weighs 11.5kg and is 82cm, so is as big as your 18 month old. GP had initial concerns about a hormonal imbalance but he's just big - there's always something to worry about. I'm not huge - 5'7 - but the men in my family are nearly all over 6'2 and my husband is nearly 6'3 and broad as a bus. The girls tend to be shorter - my sister is 5'2, her husband is 5'8 and their daughter weighed 12kg when she was 2, she was tiny (and not a premature baby or anything). She's now 5 and is only slightly shorter than the others in her class, but she will probably be petite anyway. They all grow at their own rate and very few babies hit the 'ideal' proportions at every stage (my lads head circumference is correct for his age but small in relation to the rest of him). Finally, are you looking at the growth charts for breastfed children rather than the outdated ones based on formula fed ones? You probably know this but the WHO recently released them for use by PHNs & GPs but not all clinics have adopted them. Bridget might be in the 25th centile on the old charts but in the 50th on the breastfeeding charts. Formula fed babies grow at a much faster rate in the first year than breastfed ones and health professionals are now moving away from treating this as normal (ie the 50th centile) and are setting breastfed growth rates as the norm. You can find the charts on the WHO website:
    http://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/en/

Thanks for that link she scores a little better on the breastfeeding chart. Like your boy my niece was a big child but she didn't walk until 18 months so didn't burn off a lot. She thinned down once she started moving. Bridget is very active and was an early walker which might explain her missing weight gain. I still can't get my head around her growing but weighing the same. Sure doesn't work like that for adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Im never too sure what my son should be, so just taking him as he is, going to read up more now on the percentile charts, thanks for those cat. He's presently 9.55 kilos, he just turned eight months. Think this worked out as in the 85% percentile - good or bad, not to sure. Some interesting reading for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Addison hasn't been weighed since start of June but she was just past 11 kilos when she was weighed last. She's 19 months now.

I only know my lads stats because we had the '7' month check-up 2 weeks ago. I never get him weighed, as long as he seems happy I'm delighted. He's never been to the doctor for anything other than his shots and scheduled check-ups. I think once you get past the nerve-wracking first 3 months (especially if you're breastfeeding) you can pretty much trust your instincts. No one knows their baby like a parent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Aidan is 9 months and 23lbs last time we had him weighed. He is a bit on the big side but healthy. All my kids were big babies and now there isn't a pick on them (6 and 8) As soon as they get active the baby weight fell off.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

We just had out 2 year old(!) weighed and measured and he's 84cm tall/short and 11.6 kg light/heavy. But he has loads of food allergies so he wont get the usual "crap" loads of kiddies get these days.
    I just hope he grows out of the allergies so we can fatten him up a bit with crisps and other stuff..
    Anyone else with this problem??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

At 18 months, my twins were 10.9 kilo and 33.2 inches (boy) and 11.3 kilo and 32 inches (girl).

My lo is 20 mths and 22 ib.....PHN says she is too light.....she eats rings around herself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Do not be looking to fatten a child up with crips.
    If you are concerned about his weight and diet talk to his dr or the baby nurse for how to
    change his diet.

SwedishDub wrote: »
    We just had out 2 year old(!) weighed and measured and he's 84cm tall/short and 11.6 kg light/heavy. But he has loads of food allergies so he wont get the usual "crap" loads of kiddies get these days.
    I just hope he grows out of the allergies so we can fatten him up a bit with crisps and other stuff..
    Anyone else with this problem??

That is really light, I sympathize. :)

Thanks everyone. I feel a lot better as it seems there are plenty of tall thin children around. I bet I get a grilling from the PHN whenever they bother getting in touch. :D

Bring a copy of the new growth charts with you if you can. I find that if they feel you know what you're doing they'll give you the benefit of the doubt once your child appears healthy and happy.

Thaedydal;
    I was just joking when I said I'd fatten him up with crisps!! ;-)
    But from what I can see around me loads of kids here seem to sit in their buggy with a bag of crisps in one hand and a fizzy drink in the other. I think it's horrible.
    And then parents wonder why their kids are fat!

We got our son weighed at Temple Street Children's hospital in Dublin. Talked to a dietitian and she said he's the right height for his weight so we needn't worry.

His little bro is a chubby thing and just started weaning so kids can be SO different!
    Both me and my hubby were thin as kids so I'm surprised as the chubiness of our second son, dunno where that comes from.... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Our son was almost 11lb yesterday - he is 15 weeks 5 days now but he was born at 4lb 11oz so and was 3 weeks early - we are thrilled with him. His head diameter is on a higher percentile than the rest of him but we were told that he should catch up - he is on the lowest normal percentile for body weight but he has done so well. Our little boy is fast asleep now...I am still at the watching him all the time phase.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Our son was almost 11lb yesterday - he is 15 weeks 5 days now but he was born at 4lb 11oz so and was 3 weeks early - we are thrilled with him. His head diameter is on a higher percentile than the rest of him but we were told that he should catch up - he is on the lowest normal percentile for body weight but he has done so well. Our little boy is fast asleep now...I am still at the watching him all the time phase.

That's really good! Saoirse, who was born on time at 6lbs 11oz and was only hitting 11lb at 14 weeks! Fair play, he's really coming along :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

James is a shade under 20lb at 6 months (not a toddler yet), he's more than doubled his birthweight now. He skipped up a couple of lines on the chart about a month and a half ago. He's doesn't seem fat though, still only has the one leg roll that I have to clean, I guess it'll tail off once he's a bit mobile. His head is still following the 95th line, looking at his father and his whole family it's most likely going to stay that way!

Digging up this old thread as I measured Bridget today and was astonished that she has grown 3.5cm in 7 weeks. She is now 96cm (37.8 inches)and is in the 93% percentile for height at 2 years 6 months. She weighs 14.5 kilos (32 lbs). I hope she stops growing before she reaches 5 foot 10 which is about as tall as it is comfortable for a women to be. I have a friend who is 6 foot 1 and she says it's a curse!

How is everyone else's toddlers getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Ben is 9.8kgs and measures 79cms(31ins). He's always on the go runs everywhere but he eats like a maniac.

He's still not eating dairy but he will drink rice milk.. He's so skinny that my friend who minds him said if she didn't know how much he actually eats she'd be reporting me for starving him :eek::D

I don't worry at all because he does eat so well he's just using up his calories by running and climbing and being little destructor man ;)

Fun fact - you can predict your toddler's adult height if you take their height at age two and mulitply it by two. That means my lad should be about 6'2 fully grown, which makes sense looking at the rest of the family. It's not a wholly reliable method though especially if your child is above the 85th centile at this stage, so don't be freaked out that you'll be spending half your future income on trouser extensions.

Btw, my boy will be 2 in 2 weeks, is 93cm and weighs in at 15.6 kg. He hasn't put on any weight at all since May but has stretched 4cm and is starting to have a proper 'big kid's' body. He's still got a chubby baby face though, but getting more grown up by the week. [sniff!]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Grawns wrote: »
    I hope she stops growing before she reaches 5 foot 10 which is about as tall as it is comfortable for a women to be. I have a friend who is 6 foot 1 and she says it's a curse!

My height varies depending on my weight- when I'm lighter I can hit about 6'1", when i'm heavier I'm about 5'11".
    It used to be annoying when there weren't as many shops doing long leg jeans and trousers, or "tall" sections, and when zero shops stocked shoes bigger than a size 8, but most of them do now. I love being tall!!
    Sure a 5'9" female model is considered short! :D

Am all gooey now thinking what size m baby is gonna be :o

Advertisement