Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Redesdale boot boys" - Stillorgan/Kilmacud

Options
  • 14-07-2010 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

I've just read a reference on another internet forum about a street gang called the 'Redesdale boot boys' who apparently had a "pretty fearsome reputation". I presume in the 1970s/1980s.

Anyone ever heard of them?

Anyone have any stories or anecdotes from Stillorgan, Kilmacud, Goatstown, Dundrum areas about gangs, trouble or violence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

There is no major regular violence around the Stillorgan / Kilmacud / Mount Merrion area. One or two incidents have happened. IE the 2 members of An Garda Siochana getting killed and the Shooting a few years in Kilmacud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

I recall some violence from Patrician Villas in the 70s/80s. Never heard anything about Redesdale though.

But to put it in context, in the early 90s their were a group of what appeared to be "wannabe knackers/gangstas" in Mount Merrion calling themselves "The Deerpark Posse". Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

donaghs wrote: »
    I recall some violence from Patrician Villas in the 70s/80s. Never heard anything about Redesdale though.

But to put it in context, in the early 90s their were a group of what appeared to be "wannabe knackers/gangstas" in Mount Merrion calling themselves "The Deerpark Posse". Seriously.

Ahh, memories:D.....i remember hearing that the moreen boys used to head up to the park to 'rumble'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TwoHeadeddog

Stillorgan is wierd cuz its got quite a mix of very well off people and quite the opposite.I lived there for most of my childhood.Back when the plaza and the old cinema was there it could get dodgy down in the car park and the abandoned escalator.The 'Villas definitly had some genuine hard heads around the mid 90's. Deerpark posse were a bunch of try hards from pretty well off backgrounds who actually ended up being pretty violent a few times. I remember gettin started on by them a good few times as a kid.They battered someone with a car jack once i heard but generally they got bullied by every crew of other young lads from Stillorgan,Goatstown,Sandyford etc. I've lived in cabra and other parts of north dublin for about 7 years and never got as much **** as i did growing up in stillorgan. I had knives and even an axe pulled on me in that area but that was about 10-15 years ago . As dublin go's its definitly a nice neighborhood these days. Never heard of these redesdale bootboys though. were they skinheads? thats usually the subculture that describes themselves as 'bootboys'.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

Were they skinheads? thats usually the subculture that describes themselves as 'bootboys'.

I assume they were.

I've also heard stories that there was a relatively significant heroin problem in the mid 1980s in Kilmacud/Stillorgan/Dundrum which I was surprised to hear.

• Advertisement

Anyone got any stories about Stillorgan VEC, when it was an secondary school "tech", and not an adult education type place? Anyone go there?
    I heard that's where some local "hard" types used to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

donaghs wrote: »
    Anyone got any stories about Stillorgan VEC, when it was an secondary school "tech", and not an adult education type place? Anyone go there?
    I heard that's where some local "hard" types used to go.

I never knew that. I'd say there was some rivalry's going on with the other secondary school in Stillorgan.

1968 wrote: »
    I assume they were.

I've also heard stories that there was a relatively significant heroin problem in the mid 1980s in Kilmacud/Stillorgan/Dundrum which I was surprised to hear.
    I think Dublin as a whole had the worst heroin problem in Europe, along with Glasgow in the 1980's.I remember reading that,in the 80's, the problem was worse for the entire city of Dublin than it was in Harlem(a small neighborhood) at its worst period in the 70's. It definitly spilled out to the suburbs but nothing comparable to the inner city. Dun Laoighre always had a significant heroin problem, and still does. There was a methadone clinic on Stillorgan road for a few years around '99/2000. not sure if it still operates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I think Dublin as a whole had the worst heroin problem in Europe, along with Glasgow in the 1980's.I remember reading that,in the 80's, the problem was worse for the entire city of Dublin than it was in Harlem(a small neighborhood) at its worst period in the 70's. It definitly spilled out to the suburbs but nothing comparable to the inner city. Dun Laoighre always had a significant heroin problem, and still does. There was a methadone clinic on Stillorgan road for a few years around '99/2000. not sure if it still operates.

I know the area around Stillorgan out as far as Cabinteely/Cherrywood fairly well and there's no methadone clinic that I know of on that stretch of road anyway.

I know the area around Stillorgan out as far as Cabinteely/Cherrywood fairly well and there's no methadone clinic that I know of on that stretch of road anyway.

Its a GP's practice as well,not just a clinic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I remember my sister and her friends being approached by plain clothes guards when they were watching the airplanes in Deerpark on clear nights.

Any other stories about?

When did the shooting in Kilmacud happen.

When did the shooting in Kilmacud happen.

July 2007:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2007/0706/breaking74.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

1968 wrote: »
    I've just read a reference on another internet forum about a street gang called the 'Redesdale boot boys' who apparently had a "pretty fearsome reputation". I presume in the 1970s/1980s.

Anyone ever heard of them?

Anyone have any stories or anecdotes from Stillorgan, Kilmacud, Goatstown, Dundrum areas about gangs, trouble or violence?

I lived in the area from 1980 to 2004. I never heard of the 'boot boys' in my time there, although it could have been before my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

Enigma IE wrote: »
    I lived in the area from 1980 to 2004. I never heard of the 'boot boys' in my time there, although it could have been before my time.

Looks like you just missed out on all the action :cool:

Redesdale versus Mt. Merrion/Goatstown

Names like Budgie/Dobbo (Redesdale)
    Mt. Merrion - Halpo/Fred [RIP]
    Goatstown - George/Seanie/Jack Tart

The good auld days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

Nodster wrote: »

The good auld days?

Well I was born in '75, so probably wouldn't have been out and about around the area until mid-late '80's, I must have missed all the action!

The good auld days?

Cheers for the info!

The good auld days?

Where did the various sides go to school? Oatland, Benildas, Colaiste Eoin, the Tech? Blackrock or St. Michaels?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 icedoyle

I went to the tech in the early 80s and some of my peers got heavily in to drugs most of them were from patrician or the st lawerences pk. Not many of them around now as they have passed on. Had great times in the tech though.:D

icedoyle wrote: »
    I went to the tech in the early 80s and some of my peers got heavily in to drugs most of them were from patrician or the st lawerences pk. Not many of them around now as they have passed on. Had great times in the tech though.:D

Any rivalry with Oatlands back in the day?

What was the curriculum like in the Tech? What was the balance like between academic subjects and technical ones? And what were the technical subjects like? Just curious as most techs were no longer functioning as secondary schools by the time I started secondary.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭barbie_j

Hi all ! Is Patrician Villas in stillorgan a nice area??:confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

barbie_j wrote: »
    Hi all ! Is Patrician Villas in stillorgan a nice area??:confused::confused::confused:

As far as i know it is now a mostly privately owned ex corporation estate, it seems quite settled and is in a great location, dont know if there is much in the way of trouble there but i stand to be corrected!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

barbie_j wrote: »

If you read the thread you'll see it had a bad reputation (deservedly from what I've heard) back in the day but most of the 'heads' disappeared by the mid 90s. I've grown up around the area and its perfectly fine today, just an ex council housing estate now in private hands. I've never heard of any trouble there. I'd avoid that tunnel running from it to Stillorgan at night though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BusyMumof3

Its a GP's practice as well,not just a clinic.
    Its not Gleneagles/ Dr Flaherty's is it? That would explain an awful lot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Need my boots shined ...this the right thread??

• Registered Users Posts: 3 agenda 45

Redesdale boys lasted up boots and corduroys, I remember them well, they where more like the bashsrteet kids from the beano,they had there rucks with bootboys from stillorgan,and those wannabes form mt merrion, and goatstown, overall Redsdale boys where small in number but never lacked in toughness,my sister was the toughest bootgirl around.
    kojack/Yvonne-rip
    Sully
    Mossey
    Gibbo
    Goofey

to name but a few.

Moe-Mossy Slater

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

What year was that?

Never heard of them but the Deerpark Posse used to have their scraps with Moreen/Killcross quite a lot back in the early/mid 90s.

There was war over a stolen moped at one point.

Hazel used to always have a few head bangers knocking about too.

Advertisement