Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Microsoft Access Question!

• 14-07-2010 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hey!

I now have Microsoft Access on my laptop!:)

I want to make a database.

I have about 10 different Excel lists with columns marked destination/price/volume that I want to import into the database.

I then want to be able to search each list by destination.

For example: If I am looking for Algeria, I can type Algeria into a search box and then the information from the 10 Excel lists will come up on a new sheet.

I have been looking at many of the templates but I am unable to find one that just does this one request.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,392 ✭✭✭✭phog

What version of MS Access have you?

I think I know how to do this but to explain it, well here goes, someone else might come our rescue:cool:

Create a database, ignore the template, just creat a database .mdb, create it whereever you need it and call it whatever you like.

You can then import the excel files or link them, linking can be better if you going to make changes to the excel files.

Creat a query (crosstab I think), select all the table that you need the info from link the column names from one table to the next then in criteria list Algeria as in your example.

Clear as mud:o

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭CluelessGirl

phog wrote: »
    What version of MS Access have you?

I think I know how to do this but to explain it, well here goes, someone else might come our rescue:cool:

Create a database, ignore the template, just creat a database .mdb, create it whereever you need it and call it whatever you like.

You can then import the excel files or link them, linking can be better if you going to make changes to the excel files.

Creat a query (crosstab I think), select all the table that you need the info from link the column names from one table to the next then in criteria list Algeria as in your example.

Hey!

Many thanks for the help.

I will give it a go tomorrow. I have looked at all the info you have given me and all the tabs etc.....are on Access.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for the help.:)

Hey Phog,

I have it all done down to the final part.

If you have time at some stage could you go into a little more detail with the final step?

There is no rush on it.

I really appreciate it. Thanks in advance. :)

What version of MS Office have you?

What version of MS Office have you?

Hey.

It is MS Office 2007!

Happy Friday!

• Advertisement

Hey Phog,

I have it all done down to the final part.

If you have time at some stage could you go into a little more detail with the final step?

There is no rush on it.

I really appreciate it. Thanks in advance. :)

I hope I'm descibing this okay for you.

Okay assuming you have 6 tables and for this query you need info from three of the 6.

Click on "Create"
    You should then see sections for Tables, Forms, Reports and Other
    In the other section, click on Query Design

A"Show Table" window will pop up, usually with the "Tables" Tab open, you can use previously saved "Queires" too or "Both"

Seclect the tables that you need to get the data from, in my example that would be three tables.

The tables appear within your new query.
    You will see the header rows is each of the tables that you selected.
    Doble click on the header rows that you require to the "field" row on the query, ensure you drag the correct header row from the correct table.
    You need to link the tables - you do this by left mouse clicking on the header row in the table and then dragging the mouse to the header row in the next table that has same info - your case it's a country. So in Table 1 lets say the country is under a header row of "Country" and in Table 2 the country is under a header row of "Country of Origin", then you'd link these two header rows as described.

Next step may not be necessary but might be nice to know:)

You can then right click on the link and select one of three options
    1. Only include rows where the joined fields from both tables are equal
    2. Include all data from Table1 and only those recrods from Table2 where the joined fields are equal
    3. Include all data from Table2 and only those recrods from Table1 where the joined fields are equal

Down to the query fields and criteria
    Under the "Fields" column which has the info that you want to get the data from - in my example it would be country or country of origin, you need to write Algeria in the Criteria row under country or country of origin.

Sorry for the delay but I cant access this site at work and I dont have MS Access on my home laptop.

If this isn't clear or you need further clarification post it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

do a vlookup in excel ?

Hi Phog,

Many thanks for that. I will try it tomorrow.

I really appreciate you taking the time to explain it to me.

Many thanks. :)

Advertisement