Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

700c tyres for the beach?

• 14-07-2010 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

I didnt get far with a 25c up front and 32c behind, got about 30m before I sunk!
    I kind of need wider tyres anyway for Donegal/off road, would 42c work or do I need something bigger for the sand?

I better check that I have enough clearance, I think 42c would be near my limit

also what kind of tread pattern would be best for sand? I just like the idea of cycling along with the waves and fresh wind beside me, Im near a very nice beach thats never busy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Wouldn't recommend cycling on the beach. Both Salt water and sand are very bad for bikes. The water and sand will get into the BB and wheel bearings. they'll also get into the rear freewheel and cause corrosion. The salt water will also rot your tyres, cause rust etc. etc.

If you must do it, I imagine a mountain bike would be best with Knobbly threaded tyres. Preferably someone elses bike! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

well I figured the sand wouldnt be good for the drive chain. Im riding fixed, I can get a kmc z410 chain for a fiver and replace it regularly. perhaps I will use a wheelset with cup and bearing hubs so I can clean out the sand.

basically I need a separate bike for the beach?! prob wouldnt be a bad idea as bringing a bike up on the bus is a pain.

I miss having a mountain bike but love the lightness of a fixed gear racer, I want a racer for off road thats still light

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

well I figured the sand wouldnt be good for the drive chain. Im riding fixed, I can get a kmc z410 chain for a fiver and replace it regularly. perhaps I will use a wheelset with cup and bearing hubs so I can clean out the sand.

basically I need a separate bike for the beach?! prob wouldnt be a bad idea as bringing a bike up on the bus is a pain.

I miss having a mountain bike but love the lightness of a fixed gear racer, I want a racer for off road thats still light

Sounds like you need one of these or equivalent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

+1 Sand is an absolute nightmare on a bike. I've ruined a chain just from cycling beside a beach when there was a bit of a wind. If you must though you are going to need very wide tyres at low pressure to stop the bike sinking into the sand, something like these (100mm wide) which he used to cycle over a desert:

r364929_1689227.jpg

Personally I wouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

well Ive some more things to think about thanks, but not gonna give up on the idea. I'll eventually just build up a cheap bike that can take the abuse.

Advertisement