Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning to drive in Cork City

Options
  • 14-07-2010 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm a student in UCC so not originally from Cork and I've finally decided that it's time to start learning to drive! I'm just wondering if anybody knows somewhere that I could practice driving before I take proper lessons. Just a big open space where I could practice changing gears, starting, braking etc. Also does anyone know any good driving instructors in the cork city area?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Little Island business park, very quiet, well lit, always quiet,
    large open areas and a few mini roundabouts to practice on.
    Some say musgraves too but I'd prefer little island, it's where I learned (well there and the uncles field)

I'd avoid any dunnes, tesco or diy shop car parks that stay open late,
    people drive blind around those places ignoring road markings and right of way

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Model Farm Road Business Park might be ok also. It is close enough to UCC (closer to CIT) and is quiet enough in the evenings and weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

My sister used this guy and his quite good

http://www.drivinginstructorcork.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pirateninja

Thanks a million for all the suggestions guys! I've heard little island is pretty good to learn in so I'll check that out and the model farm business park aswel!

Thanks Barr for the link, do you know how much he charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

The lower CIT car park is quite empty these days. College is opened 7am - 8pm Mon-Thu and Closes 5pm Fri/Sats.

I don't think they'd have a problem with someone trying to learn as long as you don't drive into a car or anything ;)

Best luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭nolo1

You'd often see learners driving around the Greyhound Track car park during the day when it's quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

nolo1 wrote: »
    You'd often see learners driving around the Greyhound Track car park during the day when it's quiet.
    Yep that's a common place too I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭seniorstaff

eastgate industrial estate , by harvy normans in little island is ideal for learners starting out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Ahoyhoy

Little Island is brilliant, it's where I learned to get the car started and actually moving, like the real basics, before actually taking lessons. Didn't want to spend a load of money learning how to not stall the car! In terms of driving instructors you should look into the Aviva driving lessons. Terrible company that they are for their employees as a student you're not going to be able to afford expensive insurance and I'm fairly sure you get some kind of discount for learning to drive with them.

Advertisement