Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

always always ware a helmet

• 14-07-2010 4:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

i was out for my normal sat morning spin when on the descent of bellewstown hill with every thing tucked in traveling about 50kph out from a side road comes a car,i hit the car and it sent me flying,i came down on the back of my head and skidded up the road on my back ,not nice
    after a trip to a+e my only injuries were some cuts and bruising,i can safely say my hard hat saved my life,this happened 3 weeks ago and after getting my bike back from the repair shop i was able to get out for a short spin yesterday of course wearing my new helmet
    i know its been said here many times before but no harm having the odd reminder helmets work

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

i was out for my normal sat morning spin when on the descent of bellewstown hill with every thing tucked in traveling about 50kph out from a side road comes a car,i hit the car and it sent me flying,i came down on the back of my head and skidded up the road on my back ,not nice
    after a trip to a+e my only injuries were some cuts and bruising,i can safely say my hard hat saved my life,this happened 3 weeks ago and after getting my bike back from the repair shop i was able to get out for a short spin yesterday of course wearing my new helmet
    i know its been said here many times before but no harm having the odd reminder helmets work

Thanks, I'll be more careful descending that road in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

i can safely say my hard hat saved my life
    No you can't; indeed it is highly likely that you would have more serious injuries if it did "save your life." I'm sure from your description it helped lessen your injuries. The lesson you should take from this is look out for cars emerging from side roads while descending at speed and be prepared to stop or take evasive action. Not wear a magic hat so you can slam into them. Hope you are pursing the driver for damages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

blorg wrote: »
    No you can't; indeed it is highly likely that you would have more serious injuries if it did "save your life." I'm sure from your description it helped lessen your injuries. The lesson you should take from this is look out for cars emerging from side roads while descending at speed and be prepared to stop or take evasive action. Not wear a magic hat so you can slam into them. Hope you are pursing the driver for damages.

Could this be reported as trolling?

The anti-helmet brigade are always pointing out how unlikely it is that one will hit one's head when having an accident, the OP had exactly such an accident and now you're telling him he should just be more careful, or psychic, in future.

GTFO Blorg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

glad youre ok but I'll choose when and where to wear a helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Zipp101

So your advice is to not be foolish enough to crash into cars. But even when it inevitably happens,don't bother wearing a helmet. Just prioritise looking for details of the car to cover the,by now,worsened injuries ? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 kev_rower

Not wear a magic hat

You are an idiot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

kev_rower wrote: »
    You are an idiot

These comments are unhelpful and will not be tolerated on boards , after all the poster is entitled to an opinion(all be it sarcastic) but name calling will not be allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Hi. Not an avid cycler like most of you, but I do believe in helmets. Mostly because when i was in a crash on bike as a child, i didnt wear one.
    And yes I hit my head. Must have hurt like hell, but i dont remember.
    What i do have to remind me is a nice 2 inch bald nasty scar on the back of my skull from where i cracked it open.
    Wear a helmet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 kev_rower

Its fairly simple, you hit your head on the ground after a crash at 50kph:

With a helmet: The helmet will do what it is designed to do and absorb a lot of the impact, thus reducing the risk of a skull fracture, brain damage or similar injuries.

Without a Helmet: Your head takes 100% of the impact leaving a much greater risk of skull fractures, brain damage and similar injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Read my post again. I never said "don't wear a helmet." I wear one myself 95% of the time and always on fast descents. If I am unlucky enough to crash I DO feel it will mitigate my injuries. But I don't think a helmet will turn a fatal accident into one I walk away from with only scratches and bruises.

The OP said it "saved his life;" I find this highly unlikely. As he hit his head I am sure it lessened the injuries he sustained. If he said he broke both arms and was in a coma for a week maybe I could believe the helmet saved his life. Only scratches and bruises? Unlikely.

Again, I am not saying don't wear a helmet. But they are not some sort of magic talisman that makes you invincible. The primary lesson to take from an accident is not "glad I was wearing my magic hat," it is to try to learn from it to avoid such situations in the future. I'll continue to wear a helmet to lessen my chances of head injury but this is secondary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

I don't think Blorg is being ANTI-HELMET here. IMO he is just stating, that the wearing of the helmet, lessened the OP's injuries. NOT SAVE HIS LIFE. To make a statement so bold would proport that he had sustained massive head trauma, and that the wearing of a helmet saved his life. I have often seen Blorg out and about......always wearing a helmet, the times that I have seen him.
    As regards Blorgs stance on being more vigilant, I totally agree with him. Do not attempt to descend at speed unless you have a Plan B. Motorists coming out of side roads do not often expect to see a cyclist descending at speed, and often misjudge said same speed to being slower than it actually is, and will more often than not, pull out in front of you.
    The onus here is on the cyclist IMO, look at the level of protection a motorist has against you, to what you have against him.......No contest, thats where PLan B comes in, BE PREPARED FOR ANYTHING.
    Moflojo, Zipp101 and kev_rower have missed the point. YOU CAN'T MAKE THE STATEMENT, THAT THE HELMET SAVED YOUR LIFE. you would need to recreate the exact same crash both with and without a helmet to make such a statement. In no way did I read into Blorgs post that he is "anti-helmet", he just pointed out the fact to which i have just explained about not making such a statement.

BTW..........I ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET. Before you go there!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Read my post again. I never said "don't wear a helmet." I wear one myself 95% of the time and always on fast descents. If I am unlucky enough to crash I DO feel it will mitigate my injuries. But I don't think a helmet will turn a fatal accident into one I walk away from with only scratches and bruises.

The OP said it "saved his life;" I find this highly unlikely. As he hit his head I am sure it lessened the injuries he sustained. If he said he broke both arms and was in a coma for a week maybe I could believe the helmet saved his life. Only scratches and bruises? Unlikely.

Again, I am not saying don't wear a helmet. But they are not some sort of magic talisman that makes you invincible. The primary lesson to take from an accident is not "glad I was wearing my magic hat," it is to try to learn from it to avoid such situations in the future. I'll continue to wear a helmet to lessen my chances of head injury but this is secondary.

So what are you blorg, the hyperbole police?

Cheers for the advice on watching out for cars though...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Moflojo wrote: »
    So what are you blorg, the hyperbole police?

Cheers for the advice on watching out for cars though...:rolleyes:

Who's trolling now?????, take heed of the advice, it's good, and also a legal requirement, whilst using roads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

Happy for the Op is okay as that sounded like a nasty crash and schock to the system...

The statement the "helmet saved my life" is mentioned quite alot that it could be taken for hyperbole.

I wonder out of the cyclists that died this year or last year, would an helmet have saved any of them, maybe alot of them were wearing helmets...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

kev_rower wrote: »
    You are an idiot
    banned - 1 week
    dekbhoy wrote: »
    These comments are unhelpful and will not be tolerated on boards , after all the poster is entitled to an opinion(all be it sarcastic) but name calling will not be allowed.
    no back seat modding, please report the post instead.

on second thoughts. Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement