Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the worst reaction you ever had when somebody found out about your sexuality?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

Nebit wrote: »
    Then there was the case where a girl i went to school with found out from another friend came up to me and spat in my face. recently i've discovered her best friend is gay so that'll be interesting.

id bate her haha
    im not gay so i dont have any coing out experiences :O

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

My Mam made a noise like she had been sucker punched in the gut when I told her. It wasn't that terrible and my parents are very accepting people, but I just can't get the sound out my brain. It's burned into my memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    My Dad asked me if I had been abused

Sorry, probably rather inappropriate of me to say but I laughed out loud when I read that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Quick question, kinda fits in with the topic, how long do you think you can get away with going to every one of your partners family events as the "best friend"? Its been 2years now, and we're just out of those teenage years where you actually do drag a friend to everything.. I'm starting to get a tad worried..

On the plus side they're wonderfully sheltered country folk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

A peculiar reaction: two middle-aged gay men have been friends of ours and regular visitors to our house for over twenty years. They were friends and visitors before our youngest was born. He is now 18. Our friends sexuality was never discussed - there simply was nothing to discuss, if you know what I mean; it wasn't an issue. One of these friends was more prominent in our friendship that the other - he was the one we first met and first got to know. My son, from when he was a very young child, used always refer to the two of them as "The Hogans" (not the real name), in other words, they were obviously in his mind a couple. In his mid teens something about homosexuality came up in conversation at home and we pointed out that "The Hogans", as he called them, was gay. The look on his face was fabulous - astonishment and "well, of course they are, it's obvious they are, I've known they are for years".

It was an excellent education for a young boy at that homophobic stage of development.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Only "bad" reaction was from one of my best friends who was annoyed I'd told almost everyone else before I told him, because he'd figured it out and thought I was intentionally keeping it from him. He was grand when I finally took the time to sit and chat with him about it - I've been really lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Quick question, kinda fits in with the topic, how long do you think you can get away with going to every one of your partners family events as the "best friend"? Its been 2years now, and we're just out of those teenage years where you actually do drag a friend to everything.. I'm starting to get a tad worried..

On the plus side they're wonderfully sheltered country folk :)

My ex went to a christening with his actual best friend while dating me, for the whole night people kept going so this is your BEST friend eh eh eh ? And he was like...eh yah:) The best friend was married with kids so some people thought he was like a home wrecker by the end of the night

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I've read of an intense reaction to someone being transgendered in another forum. I hope ye don't mind me posting this here, but he told his family that he wanted a sex change and they threatened to kill him.

I fear the same reaction or something similar from my family so I'm staying in the closet until I have a full time job and an apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Barna77 wrote: »
    No bad reactions so far

Is havng your nose broken a bad reaction?

Also being told by your mother "I'd rather you came home and said you were pregnant" (lone parents are the devil incarnate too of course).

I had years of abuse and sulking from parents, until eventually one day I just left the country and didn't tell them (since they had refused to speak to me for 2 months). That kinda changed everything, once they realised that I could and would walk away, they became a little more "tolerant" if you consider just never talking about it to be so.

Mind you, friend of mine's parents tried to force her to see a psych. She hasn't spoken to them in over 20 years now.

shoegirl wrote: »
    Mind you, friend of mine's parents tried to force her to see a psych. She hasn't spoken to them in over 20 years now.

That sounds like the most brilliant thing a closed minded parent can accidentally do, send their kid to someone who will not only understand them, but reassure them, and then attempt to enlighten said closed minded parents for the kid.

Well, thats these days anyway..

My parents did that too, but only when they presented me to my local GP with what they decided was depression - the idiot asked me was I pregnant, I laughed and said I don't think girls can do that, so she promptly decided my alleged confusion about my sexuality was the root cause of my non existent depression.. She also decided I was on drugs because I freaked out a little when she tried to take bloods.. she must think everyones on drugs..
    Didn't like that woman very much..

True story

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

My mother flat out ignored me for several months, to the point of walking out of the livingroom if she came in and I happened to be in it, before chucking me out of the house at the age of 15.
    Stayed with my dad full-time from then, for some reason didn't feel the burning desire to officially tell him after that :rolleyes: though I'm sure he knows.
    I am now very independent, havn't spoken to her since (now 27) and don't go back to my home village very often.
    My life eventually went pretty well without her and I'm now quite happy and living with my curent gf, so no great loss I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 st_andalou

It was definitely my dad. I told him and my mother one night (I was 18). He just sat there in silence. Later he came to my room and asked me to keep quiet about it and not tell anyone in our town. He told me my male friends would not want to know me and that my younger sisters would get bullied in school.

He wasn't threatening as such, it was kind of like blackmail. Later he got really drunk, came home, and I heard him asking my mum if she blamed him for her son being gay. It was mortifying!

It took him years to come around. We're still not open about it. He'll never ask about that aspect of my life -- and probably never will.

Sometimes that stony silence can hurt more than outright rejection.

st_andalou wrote: »
    "blamed him for me being gay".

This thread is bringing out the worst memories.. my dad was like that but he was fine with me.. confused me for a while but it turns out his only issue was himself and he'd been living a lie all his life.. poor man..

not suggesting your dads gay btw, just in case thats how it sounds..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

st_andalou wrote: »
    Sometimes that stony silence can hurt more than outright rejection.

That is so so true. :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

This may be difficult for everyone involved, but is a good insight into how family could react. I've learned from experiences provided, to wait until I'm living on my own before I spill the beans. I know most probably don't have that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Upon telling my girlfriend I was Bi she broke down crying, I was a bit naive at the time to peoples insecurity around bisexuality needless to say it eventually broke that relationship up and I learned a lesson around disclosure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

stephen_n wrote: »
    Upon telling my girlfriend I was Bi she broke down crying, I was a bit naive at the time to peoples insecurity around bisexuality needless to say it eventually broke that relationship up and I learned a lesson around disclosure!
    Did you say you where Bi or you where Bi and wanted permision to sleep with other people ???

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

Probably the funniest was "but you cant be you like football" :rolleyes:

I've had a guy who played in a band with me and was a decent mate just suddenly stop talking to me all together. I've been told "dont worry we'll fix you" ...that was a drunken work night out

I had an Irish girl who lived in the same area as me (which i didnt know at the time) stop talking to me on the dancefloor of a club in Sydney cause she found out i was gay. When she sat down and i asked her what was wrong she refused to speak to me!

The worst was definitely making out i was a "disappointment" for being gay and my mum wouldve been happier if i told her i got a girl pregnant lol oh the naivety

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

stephen_n wrote: »

I think it's a case of Bye Bi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lionchild

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

lionchild wrote: »

That made me laugh so much thanks for the link! :D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

lionchild wrote: »

Haha, I love that. This one is great, too:

"O my God, my son is a lesbian!"

"But Simon, you couldn't have found a nice Indian boy?!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

This is just perfect lol

http://transgirldiaries.com/?p=1252

Just copy and paste it. Damn phone won't let me add url tags...

Edit 1: oh, nvm lol

Advertisement