Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I know what speed my line can handle?

• 14-07-2010 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question:

What speed my line can handle?

Here are my DSL statistics:

Downstream
    Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps)
    SN Margin (dB)
    Line Attenuation (dB)
    CRC Errors

I ordered UPC broadband 30Mb yesterday and the guy from UPC said it doesn't matter what my line can handle because they will run a new line to my house?

I don't understand this, how can he run a new line to my house?
    Is it realistic that I will get 30Mb speeds with my line?

I ask this because my house-mates are very sceptical with this?

We are currently with Eircom if it helps.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Osu wrote: »
    Just a quick question:

What speed my line can handle?

I ordered UPC broadband 30Mb yesterday and the guy from UPC said it doesn't matter what my line can handle because they will run a new line to my house?

UPC comes into your house via coax cable (no need for a new phone line or any phone line) so it's irrelevant what your line can currently handle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I already have a coax cable from UPC with the basic channels RTE, TV3, UTV, AtTheRaces etc.

I have Sky + too, will it effect that?

I have heard some horror stories about installations from UPC. I don't want wires outside or running along skirting boards etc.

Advertisement